Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cramping feeling after swallowing

I’m 4 days post-op (VSG) and starting to somewhat feel better. I’m able to get around better although the big incision still really hurts. My biggest concerns right now are: pain/cramping after swallowing. It’s not the actual swallowing that hurts, it’s when the Fluid hits my pouch. Doesn’t matter if the liquid is cold or warm - but it hurts like hell every single time for about 2-4 seconds. When will this subside? Secondly, my whole abdominal area is still REALLY swollen & hard - I look like I’m 6 months pregnant. It’s been like this since the surgery and hasn’t gone down at all. Lastly, I haven’t had a “real” bowel movement yet. I had very gassy diarrhea twice on Friday and once yesterday, but that’s it. I’ve been taking a stool softener, but I’m not sure it’s really doing anything. Then again, I haven’t eaten anything solid so...? I’m guessing most of all of this is normal, but I’m looking for reassurance - especially about the pain after swallowing as it’s really uncomfortable. Zero issues with nausea or vomiting. 

ETA:  I’m also having trouble getting all my fluids/“meals” in. Again, bc of the cramping pain, but also bc I ALWAYS feel full. I’m able to drink about 30-40oz Water, one Protein Drink, my 1/2C soup/pudding/jello twice a day and that’s about it. 

a lot of us don't have a bowel movement for until about a week out - and just as a forewarning - that first one is often a doozy! I'm guessing the reason you don't "go" for a few days afterward is that there's really not much in your system...

the distention (sp?) could be air - or I/V Fluid - or both. It can take a few days for all that to work itself out

I had gastric bypass, but my surgeon said this cramping feeling is very common early on, especially for VSG patients. I was prescribed hyoscyamine for it but only took it for a few days.

I think the Protein and fluid goals are unrealistic for the first week or two. I didn't get anywhere close until about a week out. I'm 5 weeks out now and it's still a struggle. My first several days post-op, I constantly felt like I had just eaten Thanksgiving dinner, just from drinking a few ounces of Water or Protein Drink. I don't feel so stuffed or bloated anymore, but I haven't felt any hunger since surgery (which is pretty awesome).

38 minutes ago, BigSue said:

I had gastric bypass, but my surgeon said this cramping feeling is very common early on, especially for VSG patients. I was prescribed hyoscyamine for it but only took it for a few days.

I think the Protein and fluid goals are unrealistic for the first week or two. I didn't get anywhere close until about a week out. I'm 5 weeks out now and it's still a struggle. My first several days post-op, I constantly felt like I had just eaten Thanksgiving dinner, just from drinking a few ounces of Water or Protein Drink. I don't feel so stuffed or bloated anymore, but I haven't felt any hunger since surgery (which is pretty awesome).

Thanks - good to know the cramping is not unusual, especially since it's super painful. I did just email my dr. about my concerns, so hopefully they'll get back to me first thing in the morning. 🙂

This is all pretty normal. The swelling is probably a combination of the surgery & the gas. It will disappear. My surgeon told me not to be too concerned with meeting goals to begin with which was reassuring as I’d only have one Protein Shake & barely 200mls of Soup a day - & I’d take hours to drink them.

Diarrhea is common too. You’ll soon find the reverse will happen & you’ll regularly be constipated. Remember you’re not eating any solid foods at the moment & then when you do begin to it‘s not much.

Some of the pain you’re experiencing is likely from the internal wounds & swelling around where that large section of your tummy was removed. Your tummy may be sensitive for a while until you’ve healed.

I’m glad you contacted your medical team. It’s better to know if what’s happening is expected (or not).

Good luck on your journey.

Hello! I had my sleeve done 1 week ago. I had the same pain, I would take a sip of Water and just brace for it to hit my stomach because I knew it was going to hurt. That feeling is starting to go away, thankfully.

Ive been drinking water, watered down apple juice, watered down Gatorade, and chicken broth, and when I say watered down I mean mostly water and a splash of something else for flavor. My surgeon told me only clear fluids for the first week, so I’ve had zero Protein Shakes thus far. Second and third week I can add non Clear Liquids. I’m not sure if this is cheating, but 2 days ago I bought no sugar added fudgesicles, and oh my god I’ve never tasted anything so good.

As for the BM, it took me a week and some laxatives. Still nothing solid. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15 hours ago, ExactlyAsh said:

Hello! I had my sleeve done 1 week ago. I had the same pain, I would take a sip of Water and just brace for it to hit my stomach because I knew it was going to hurt. That feeling is starting to go away, thankfully.

Ive been drinking Water, watered down apple juice, watered down Gatorade, and chicken broth, and when I say watered down I mean mostly water and a splash of something else for flavor. My surgeon told me only clear fluids for the first week, so I’ve had zero Protein Shakes thus far. Second and third week I can add non Clear Liquids. I’m not sure if this is cheating, but 2 days ago I bought no sugar added fudgesicles, and oh my god I’ve never tasted anything so good.

As for the BM, it took me a week and some laxatives. Still nothing solid. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wow - we're almost surgery twins! (Mine was 8/19.) I'm glad to know this is mostly normal. I thought about the yogurt, pudding & Jell-o being too much, but it's on my list an encouraged in order to get calories in and promote digestion. I'm sure those fudgesicles tasted heavenly! I sent a note to my Dr.'s team last night (hoping they'd see it first thing this morning & reply ASAP) but I haven't heard from them yet. Tylenol does NOTHING for any type of pain and that's all I'm on at this point. Also, the bloating, distension and all-around discomfort are getting old fast. I understand needing time to recover, but I've had a c-section, breast reduction, a tumor removed from the base of my brain, and other "minor" surgeries, yet I don't recall any of the recoveries being this drawn-out or uncomfortable. As for the :70_poop:, today was a beautiful day! LOL! Not quite a full-on BM, but enough that I got A LOT of relief. Hope it happens soon for you too!!!

Laj23 my surgery was 8/20 and I am having the same issues !!! I stopped taking my pain pills and my largest incision is aching so bad.

7 hours ago, jessjersey13 said:

Laj23 my surgery was 8/20 and I am having the same issues !!! I stopped taking my pain pills and my largest incision is aching so bad.

I'm so sorry to hear that! Between my incision hurting and the awful pain after swallowing, this really sucks. The only thing keeping me going is the supportive words of people in this group telling me it's all pretty normal. The only thing I can suggest to you is that you absolutely continue with your pain meds. I just got a refill (granted, they only gave me 20, to begin with), and COULD NOT WAIT to take them. The majority of the pain was gone within 30 mins of taking my meds. I would also suggest taking a stool softener as the pain meds can be constipating. Good luck!!!

Thank you for the support and your so right the meds can be constipating. Hope your feeling better :)

6 minutes ago, jessjersey13 said:

Thank you for the support and your so right the meds can be constipating. Hope your feeling better :)

I just posted, saying how I think I turned a corner - literally just happened this afternoon. LOL!!! Hope you feel better too. It DOES get better! Hang in there! XOXO

Are you sipping or gulping? I made the mistake of gulping my drink and I had a bad stomach pain that lasted a few seconds. My stomach is bloated as well and I have yet to have a bowl movement either. 😩 I’m going to give it a few days and if nothing happens I will contact my surgeons office and see what they suggest. I was sleeved on 8/19 as well.

Sleeved on the 19th.have had a BM each day after the first one. Hard to get all the liquid in.Pain meds are run out so starting tylenol. Pain is moderate except for the left side. Got BIG BRUISES there and incisions burn.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi Debsgallery !
So today I remembered after my c sections I wore compression underwear (like spanx) and they really held me so I was able to bend without the muscle pain and burning. It’s made a huge difference today. I’ve been up and about and I’m even standing straighter and breathing better. Maybe check into it ! Target sells them too. Feel better.