Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 3 Post-op...still a lot of pain

I’m still dealing with A LOT of pain at the big incision site. Every time I move, it feels like my stomach is going to rip open. Honestly, it doesn’t feel any better, whatsoever, than it did day one (surgery was Wednesday morning). Also, I’m having a lot of pain/pressure when eating & drinking. I realize this is normal, but I guess I didn’t expect it to be this bad or for the gas/air pain to last this long. It’s in my ribs, shoulders, back, etc. Plus, I’m achy from sleeping on the couch. I get comfy there, but end up pretty much in the same position all night, so I’m super stiff in the morning. I’m making myself move around & walk, but even standing for more than a minute or two is agonizing. Is all this normal? Is there something else I could be doing? Attempting a shower this morning and hoping that will help. 🤞

Are you taking pain meds? I was pretty much taking the pain meds every four hours for the first three days, as well as an anti-nausea pill that had a bit of a "knock out" impact to it. After day three, things got MUCH better! I don't remember specific incision pain...but I honestly don't remember much!! Hang in there and contact your surgeon's office if you don't feel better tomorrow!

I’m taking pain meds, but I was only given 20, so I’m trying to ration them! Thankfully, I haven’t had any nausea. Just took a shower and feel slightly better (I think the Water may have loosened the steristrips or scab and that seems to have helped. Now, if I can just get this gas pressure & pain under control! Ugh!!!!

4 hours ago, MsMocie said:

Do you have stitches?

I have dissolvable stitches with steri-strips. Also, as of this morning, my stomach is making a TON of noise! Ugh!!!

I had my surgery as well and in the same boat. The main incision feels horrible but I did throw up a lot in the hospital so I wonder if that’s why. I’ve been using a heating pad and that’s been helping. As much as I don’t like the pain pills I’ve been taking them as needed and they are helping.

On 8/22/2020 at 6:21 PM, RichelleGetsFit0309 said:

I had my surgery as well and in the same boat. The main incision feels horrible but I did throw up a lot in the hospital so I wonder if that’s why. I’ve been using a heating pad and that’s been helping. As much as I don’t like the pain pills I’ve been taking them as needed and they are helping.

I'm so sorry that you kept getting sick in the hospital. 😞 Thankfully, I haven't had any issues with nausea or vomiting, but I do constantly feel full, making it difficult to get all my fluids in. Plus, I get this horrible pain when the liquid/food (yogurt, pudding, etc.) hits my sleeve. It's like a terrible cramp or spasm that lasts a few seconds, then passes, but it's BAD when it happens. I haven't tried a heating pad yet, but I just took the last dose of my pain meds, so I sent a note to the dr. requesting a refill. I tried to go a day without them, but I could hardly stand up. With them, I can get up and walk around without issue. Hope you feel better soon!

On 08/23/2020 at 21:11, LAJ23 said:

I'm so sorry that you kept getting sick in the hospital. 😞 Thankfully, I haven't had any issues with nausea or vomiting, but I do constantly feel full, making it difficult to get all my fluids in. Plus, I get this horrible pain when the liquid/food (yogurt, pudding, etc.) hits my sleeve. It's like a terrible cramp or spasm that lasts a few seconds, then passes, but it's BAD when it happens. I haven't tried a heating pad yet, but I just took the last dose of my pain meds, so I sent a note to the dr. requesting a refill. I tried to go a day without them, but I could hardly stand up. With them, I can get up and walk around without issue. Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you. It was a terrible experience. I never reacted to anesthesia like that before and I hope I never do again. Could it be the yogurt and pudding is too much for you right now? I’m on Clear Liquids only at the moment. Herbal tea has been a life saver for me during this time. broth has been good for me as well. I’m having a hard time tolerating the Protein clear drinks unless I dilute it with Water. I hope you start to feel better soon. This recovery is no joke.

I had sleeve on 8/4. I didn’t expect the pain and the gas to be as bad as it was. I was not prepared. By day 4 I finally felt better and everyday since it’s just gotten better. I didn’t expect that pain but now I didn’t expect to be feeling this well. It passes and the gas goes away and then you start to feel really good.

On 08/28/2020 at 21:08, Jolyn24 said:

2 days after my sugery and I am having terrible acid reflux. Anybody else?

Yes! Really bad. Has it gotten better for you I hope?

1 hour ago, AmyVanRose said:

Yes! Really bad. Has it gotten better for you I hope?

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Yes, it does get better! I felt pretty miserable for the first 4-6 days, then I literally woke up one morning and felt really good. I'm now over 3 weeks out and having a (hopefully) minor complication and have to go for a UGI x-ray this morning. I've hardly been able to drink or eat anything for nearly a week as my sleeve constantly feels full, my abdomen is distended, and other things. Hoping it's nothing major. That said, all surgery-related pain is long gone. Feel better soon!

On 09/11/2020 at 07:48, LAJ23 said:

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Yes, it does get better! I felt pretty miserable for the first 4-6 days, then I literally woke up one morning and felt really good. I'm now over 3 weeks out and having a (hopefully) minor complication and have to go for a UGI x-ray this morning. I've hardly been able to drink or eat anything for nearly a week as my sleeve constantly feels full, my abdomen is distended, and other things. Hoping it's nothing major. That said, all surgery-related pain is long gone. Feel better soon!

Keep us posted and hoping it’s a minor issue.

Well it has been 16 days post op and although the acid reflux does not hurt as bad it is still there. It is hard for me to drink Protein Drinks as that sets it off more. And my stomach pain has been gone sense day 10 but for some reason it is back now on my left side and it stings. Hopefully it is nothing serious