Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not hungry, hate eating

Hi all. Just wondering about something. I'm 8 years out from surgery, almost to the day. I lost about 95-100 pounds depending on the day.

For the last couple of years, I've gotten to the point where I *hate* eating. Nothing sounds good, nothing tastes good, most of the time I'm not even hungry. And when I do eat, it's the tiniest few bites. I haven't gained anything back, but I haven't lost either.

I'm now engaged and my fiance is driving me crazy always trying to get me to eat, even when I absolutely insist I don't want to. I know he's just concerned but I don't know what to tell him.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Any input is greatly appreciated,

-Deana

Is the only problem that your fiance is driving you crazy, or are you having other problems, like not being able to eat enough (which doesn't sound like the case since you have reached a stable weight) or malnutrition? Because, I have to say, this is the outcome I am hoping to get from surgery -- not wanting to eat anymore.

Does your fiance know that you had weight loss surgery? If so, it seems like a pretty easy explanation: you had weight loss surgery to lose weight, you succeeded, and because the WLS was a permanent change to your digestive system, you are only able to eat small quantities of food now. If you are healthy and your labs are good, this is not a problem and he should not try to get you to eat more.

Actually, he's the absolute LEAST of my problems. He's amazingly caring and concerned. He is aware I've had surgery because we worked together for 13 years before we became romantically involved.

I'm concerned about my general health. I just can't imagine not eating (i.e. starving myself?) is good for me. I have several Vitamin deficiencies and have seen a doctor (on a new vitamin/supplement plan).

I guess I'm just confused because years ago, i remember reading about people eating 2 or 3 eggs, several slices of bacon, etc. at one sitting and I can barely choke down 1 egg and 1/2 piece of bacon.

what is your current weight?

36 minutes ago, deanac said:

Actually, he's the absolute LEAST of my problems. He's amazingly caring and concerned. He is aware I've had surgery because we worked together for 13 years before we became romantically involved.

I'm concerned about my general health. I just can't imagine not eating (i.e. starving myself?) is good for me. I have several Vitamin deficiencies and have seen a doctor (on a new vitamin/supplement plan).

I guess I'm just confused because years ago, i remember reading about people eating 2 or 3 eggs, several slices of bacon, etc. at one sitting and I can barely choke down 1 egg and 1/2 piece of bacon.

I see... This seems like something you need to figure out with your doctor. I don't know if you still see your surgeon after all this time, but if not, maybe you could go to another bariatric surgeon (i.e., someone who is very familiar with issues of bariatric patients). But still, it is a legitimate medical issue, not a matter of "just eating more."

if you're able to eat and your weight isn't at a dangerous level (and you're not losing weight that you don't want to lose), I'm not sure I'd worry about it. I wish *I* hated eating. Unfortunately, my hunger came roaring back when I was five months out of surgery and never slowed down. It makes keeping my weight off a daily struggle. I would check with my doctor, though, just to be sure there's nothing medically wrong.

Glad you're on a new vitamin/supplement plan as it's crucial w/DSers.

Have you spoken to Dr. K?

I go through hungry and non-hungry periods. I also don't eat when I'm distressed so this Pandemic has caused a weight loss I'm trying to reverse. However, I don't recall going through something where nothing tastes good or sounds good. I presume you're still forcing yourself to eat the 100+ grams/protein per day to keep up your health (as I do when I'm upset), but I'd consider reaching out to Dr. K.

Edited by Postop

Thank you everyone.

I'm at 175 right now

I haven't really talked to anyone but my hemotologist, who didn't seem concerned.

I don't get my 100g of Protein tho I know I should. But again, nothing tastes right and it's a big food turn-off.

I'll see if I can get in to see Dr. K. I haven't seen him since maybe a 2 years after my surgery. So I should probably have a followup.

Thank you everyone.

19 hours ago, deanac said:

Thank you everyone.

I'm at 175 right now

I haven't really talked to anyone but my hemotologist, who didn't seem concerned.

I don't get my 100g of Protein tho I know I should. But again, nothing tastes right and it's a big food turn-off.

I'll see if I can get in to see Dr. K. I haven't seen him since maybe a 2 years after my surgery. So I should probably have a followup.

Thank you everyone.

Until you speak with him see if you can choke down a Protein Shake.

I am a little over 6 months post DS. I've lost 104 lbs, yet I also am having a hard time eating. food does not sound good and so much tastes horrible. Things I used to LOVE such as fresh strawberries or strawberry flavored sugarless drinks (Crystal light) make me want to gag. I have difficulty getting all the Protein (60-80grams/day) and Water 60oz. Have to cut off food and water several hours before bed, otherwise nauseated. Foul smelling poops thankfully are lessening but still have to be careful or else accidents can happen.