Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 06/07/2020 at 07:12, AlwaysCruising said:

I may have missed it, but is this a goal you came up with per your surgeon or only a personal goal? I ask because most people are unrealistic about the weight they will lose via bariatric surgery (according to the research). The expectation is that those with a sleeve will lose 50-70% of the excess weight (some lose less). So the likelihood for most of reaching a truly normal point is very low. That isn’t me being negative, those are the facts. So when you are judging yourself, just judge by realistic, fair standards.

My surgeon and I came up with 2 goals. The first is 170lb which he said would be easily attainable and then a second one (140-150lb) that he would like me to reach, but it would be much harder to get to.

24 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

well, that's true. I did end up getting down to a normal BMI, but my surgeon said only about 10-15% of his patients make it that far. Research appears to back that statistic up. Although I do know a lot of people who have done it (mostly on this or other bariatric forums - it may be partially due to all the support we get here - and reading through threads every day may make it front & center in our minds all the time?? Not sure....). It does take a TON of work though. The first 100 lbs came off relatively easily (for me). The last 40 or so were torture.

True. A very small percentage reach completely normal BMI. I know the expectation that with the surgery we will lose all our excess weight is common and one that most of the surgeons try to guard against; it is usually discussed the first visit for that reason. It doesn’t mean that I can’t happen, but what is possible is fairly far removed from what is probable. Expectation can doom us in both directions.

@middlet thanks for that info. I just hope that you will be fair with yourself. And whatever you do try not to compare yourself to other people. I lost 100 pounds seven years ago, and on average it was only a half a pound loss per week. That was sticking straight with the diet and exercising 1 hour almost every day. Would I have liked it to be different? Yes. But wishing alone changes nothing. As long as you’re doing what you should do, I think you have to know your body has an impact in the outcome and acknowledge you don’t have 100% control over outcome. 😊

39 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

Although I do know a lot of people who have done it (mostly on this or other bariatric forums - it may be partially due to all the support we get here - and reading through threads every day may make it front & center in our minds all the time?? Not sure....).

There is for sure high selection bias on an internet board.

I disagree with people being told not to have a goal in mind or having a goal that seems unattainable...

I had the bypass and I was thinking I'll be happy to get under 200 which I did then I felt I'll keep going and I started at 322 got down to 165 that's almost half my body weight gone and well below any goal the surgeon had set for me, I feel it was important for me to set different goals as I went along and there's nothing wrong with setting hard goals it will keep you focused and so that you don't get complacent and think I've done okay I'll stop now...

I disagree with @AlwaysCruising it's completely fine to set hard goals and WORK your butt off to get there...

I know many people believe in this new age of P.C and kids today can't even be happy to win or beat their opponents anymore... Some schools telling kids not to think about winning but I say enjoy your successes and Celebrate your WINs in life...

I started with a BMI of 43.6

I'm now BMI 22.4 and lost 100% EBW

Edited by Superman84

On 06/07/2020 at 16:20, Superman84 said:

I disagree with people being told not to have a goal in mind or having a goal that seems unattainable...

I had the bypass and I was thinking I'll be happy to get under 200 which I did then I felt I'll keep going and I started at 322 got down to 165 that's almost half my body weight gone and well below any goal the surgeon had set for me, I feel it was important for me to set different goals as I went along and there's nothing wrong with setting hard goals it will keep you focused and so that you don't get complacent and think I've done okay I'll stop now...

I disagree with @AlwaysCruising it's completely fine to set hard goals and WORK your butt off to get there...

I know many people believe in this new age of P.C and kids today can't even be happy to win or beat their opponents anymore... Some schools telling kids not to think about winning but I say enjoy your successes and Celebrate your WINs in life...

Congratulations on your success!
Thanks for this :) I agree, I don’t think there is anything wrong with setting hard goals and I will continue to push everyday until I reach it!

3 hours ago, Superman84 said:

Disagree if you like, but almost every bariatric surgeon and mental health expert in the world would agree with me. I didn’t pull that out of nowhere, it was not just a personal opinion. From what you posted it seems that you believe that you think you know better than all those healthcare professionals. There are so many studies and articles on the topic, but here are only a very few:

Discrepancy Between Ideal and Realistic Goal Weights in Three Bariatric Procedures: Who Is Likely to Be Unrealistic? Published in Obesity Surgery
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19789932/

Unrealistic Weight Loss Expectations of Bariatric Surgery Patients. On Weight Loss Surgery News.
https://www.wlshelp.com/news/unrealistic-weight-loss-expectations-of-bariatric-surgery-patients/

Evaluation of expectations and knowledge in bariatric surgery. In Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1550728907004960

One of the factors being assessed by those doing pee-surgical screenings is whether or not the patient has reasonable goals since unrealistic goals too often lead to failure and disappointment. Telling people to have reasonable goals is not the same thing as saying someone should not work hard toward a goal. I lost 100 pounds after menopause through diet and exercise with a thyroid disorder and PCOS, so know that I’m really well versed in what it takes to meet big goals. But as someone now 8 years out from that loss, I can assure you that results 1 year out aren’t the same as 5 years out and further (no matter how the weight was lost).

So it might be good to be a bit less certain of the future and ongoing results and allow that perhaps there is more to what happens with our bodies that putting our mind to it. That is, after all, why most are having this surgery vs. losing it via Jenny Craig, yes? People have very different physiological systems, resources, and abilities and just wanting something doesn’t make it happen (that only happens in magic).

The point of my post was to say that the original poster should stop beating herself up - surprising that anyone found something to argue with about that. For most people these boards are a stopping off point for a while, as it Is that for me. I am not here to get into power plays or high school like squabbles. I don’t need people to follow me or agree with me. But science doesn’t lie and the facts are the facts. A motivational speech doesn’t change any of that.

On 06/07/2020 at 19:50, AlwaysCruising said:

Disagree if you like, but almost every bariatric surgeon and mental health expert in the world would agree with me. I didn’t pull that out of nowhere, it was not just a personal opinion. From what you posted it seems that you believe that you think you know better than all those healthcare professionals. There are so many studies and articles on the topic, but here are only a very few:

Discrepancy Between Ideal and Realistic Goal Weights in Three Bariatric Procedures: Who Is Likely to Be Unrealistic? Published in Obesity Surgery

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19789932/

Unrealistic Weight Loss Expectations of Bariatric Surgery Patients. On Weight Loss Surgery News.

https://www.wlshelp.com/news/unrealistic-weight-loss-expectations-of-bariatric-surgery-patients/

Evaluation of expectations and knowledge in bariatric surgery. In Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1550728907004960

One of the factors being assessed by those doing pee-surgical screenings is whether or not the patient has reasonable goals since unrealistic goals too often lead to failure and disappointment. Telling people to have reasonable goals is not the same thing as saying someone should not work hard toward a goal. I lost 100 pounds after menopause through diet and exercise with a thyroid disorder and PCOS, so know that I’m really well versed in what it takes to meet big goals. But as someone now 8 years out from that loss, I can assure you that results 1 year out aren’t the same as 5 years out and further (no matter how the weight was lost).

So it might be good to be a bit less certain of the future and ongoing results and allow that perhaps there is more to what happens with our bodies that putting our mind to it. That is, after all, why most are having this surgery vs. losing it via Jenny Craig, yes? People have very different physiological systems, resources, and abilities and just wanting something doesn’t make it happen (that only happens in magic).

The point of my post was to say that the original poster should stop beating herself up - surprising that anyone found something to argue with about that. For most people these boards are a stopping off point for a while, as it Is that for me. I am not here to get into power plays or high school like squabbles. I don’t need people to follow me or agree with me. But science doesn’t lie and the facts are the facts. A motivational speech doesn’t change any of that.

Thank you for these resources ☺️

Only thing that I can say for myself with a VERY very resistant/challenged metabolism is that outside of weight loss absolutely slowing down as I approach a year ( was warned this would happen) is that my dr still has me on 800 calories a day. We do not move to 1000 calories until after a year has pass (am 1.2 months away from a 'year').

I also do not exercise enough so I am leery of increasing my calories until I 'fix' this. So many ppl outside of those of us 'living it'...think WLS is the easy answer. It definitely helps, but until I started hanging out here years ago, I did not realize the amount of work and constant diligence that is still required.

Hi there ! That’s great ! I’m 10 months post op .
Hw-272
Sw-260
Cw-203
Gw-140-150
I’m 5’3”
It’s been a hard road and I feel like I’ve lost a very slow rate . I had to incorporate
Exercise - cardio and weights also I’ve been trying to do a green smoothie in the morning and a big salad for lunch , dinner is balanced meal . Good luck keep on keeping on !!!

On 06/21/2020 at 07:18, mrsguytysick said:

Hi there ! That’s great ! I’m 10 months post op .

Hw-272

Sw-260

Cw-203

Gw-140-150

I’m 5’3”

It’s been a hard road and I feel like I’ve lost a very slow rate . I had to incorporate

Exercise - cardio and weights also I’ve been trying to do a green smoothie in the morning and a big salad for lunch , dinner is balanced meal . Good luck keep on keeping on !!!

Dr. Vuongs diet!
Thank you, you as well!