Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are waist trainers a yeah or nah? I've seen IG posts where people who have had WLS have had great success but I couldnt find much on here.

Thanks in advance.

sx scheduled 6/17/20.

I've never read anything about them here. They'd probably be OK to wear once you're healed, I would think...

I have a co-worker who had Gastric Bypass and she swears by the shaper she wears. It has hooks in the front and is a full body shaper, one of the more expensive ones. I would suggest waiting until you've healed though because you will be sore for the first two weeks weeks or so and I'm pretty sure pressure so soon after surgery would be a bad idea.

Hi, so I have a long history with them. It’s also a cultural thing and I have a whole collection. It’s a problem lol.

After my surgery my doctor recommended a binder so I used one of my post pregnancy bands (Ive had 3 c sections) that was firm and it helped because I have a weak core and it also smoothed me out. It also makes me more aware of my posture. I have a few of the rubber ones with hooks, (my hubby calls them my bullet proof vests) And some are looser than others so I would start with those and as you get used to it build up to those that offer more compression. Also, if you suffer from heartburn it can make it worse. But you don’t eat as much, I find I feel full quicker so I can eat light meals and not feel as hungry if that makes sense. I think it’s all personal preference. I do love how they make me look and like I said I have all types for different outfits/weather.

Do they actually help tone your body or use it to just make it look toned like Spanx? ??

I think some can help But like anything you need to eat clean (as possible no one is perfect) and exercise. I find when I do even simple cardio with a waist shaper, over time my stomach tones but you have to keep it up.. Some have boning to shape, others will make you sweat plus you will be aware of your posture and might suck in your stomach which makes me aware of my stomach muscles. Mine are lax so when I wear my shaper consistently I do note a difference. I also fascia blast and use a foam roller and I feel the combination of it all helps.

@KQA

I tried corset training after WLS. Honestly, weight loss did more for my body. Are you asking about gym waist trainers or corset training?

Corset waist training is a body modification. The steel rods in the corset move your bones and internal organs over time.

how-corset-works-xray.thumb.jpg.ce7957e12222b675d50ad3d5edd3fbab.jpg

corset..jpg.6230e2e8b9c8d5f177341996ea239ca6.jpg

Gym waist trainers Are the equivalent of wearing a girdle to the gym.

images.jpg.adac6f5e60b9745f38b8a1235fcf2687.jpg

Hi, so I have a long history with them. It’s also a cultural thing and I have a whole collection. It’s a problem lol.
After my surgery my doctor recommended a binder so I used one of my post pregnancy bands (Ive had 3 c sections) that was firm and it helped because I have a weak core and it also smoothed me out. It also makes me more aware of my posture. I have a few of the rubber ones with hooks, (my hubby calls them my bullet proof vests) And some are looser than others so I would start with those and as you get used to it build up to those that offer more compression. Also, if you suffer from heartburn it can make it worse. But you don’t eat as much, I find I feel full quicker so I can eat light meals and not feel as hungry if that makes sense. I think it’s all personal preference. I do love how they make me look and like I said I have all types for different outfits/weather.
Thanks so much!

Do they actually help tone your body or use it to just make it look toned like Spanx? ??
I really dont know, I've seem posts of people who dont have that much loose skin in the mid section and they swear by them.

[mention=381711]KQA[/mention]
I tried corset training after WLS. Honestly, weight loss did more for my body. Are you asking about gym waist trainers or corset training?
Corset waist training is a body modification. The steel rods in the corset move your bones and internal organs over time.

how-corset-works-xray.thumb.jpg.ce7957e12222b675d50ad3d5edd3fbab.jpg
corset..jpg.6230e2e8b9c8d5f177341996ea239ca6.jpg
Gym waist trainers Are the equivalent of wearing a girdle to the gym.
images.jpg.adac6f5e60b9745f38b8a1235fcf2687.jpg

I was thinking more on the line of gym trainer.

Check out Halle Barrie’s instagram page, she posted about gym waist trainers in her effort for a 6 pack.

Well I think I've done pretty good with skin after losing over 150lbs and I believe once I get into the gym and start toning or lifting weights it will make a huge difference

19 hours ago, KQA said:

I really dont know, I've seem posts of people who dont have that much loose skin in the mid section and they swear by them.

We can relate, many of us worried about loose skin after surgery. Age and how long you have been obese can be factors. There is no way to predict what skin situation you have until you get to goal.

19 hours ago, KQA said:

I was thinking more on the line of gym trainer.

No harm in trying it out. Are you pre op or post op?

Edited by afterthought

12 hours ago, Superman84 said:

Well I think I've done pretty good with skin after losing over 150lbs and I believe once I get into the gym and start toning or lifting weights it will make a huge difference

I agree with weight lifting. Many benefits and transforming.