Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MAY-JUNE-JULY 2020 BYPASSERS UNITE!! Veterans Welcome too!

Hello there bypassers. Hope you're all doing well.

Had a follow-up with my surgeon's office. I'm ahead of schedule according to the standards they use. I'm happy with my progress but I'm prepared for the eventual slowdowns and even plateaus that I'm sure are coming.

I still don't really feel hungry, but lately I've also had a lot of problems with things making me nauseated. Some things never seem to cause a problem: cottage cheese, fruit, toast, Pasta. Other things seem like they should be OK but I get super nauseated after eating just a little, even with tiny pieces and thorough chewing: steak, chicken, hamburger. Obviously it's a problem that Proteins are some of the worst offenders!

Something to discuss with the nutritionist next month, I guess.

On 9/18/2020 at 8:28 AM, Repeatingthoughts said:

hey everyone..hope you are well!

Hi Repeating! Popping in today hello to all my Bypassers. How's everyone hangin'? I don't have a lot that's new to share. I'm in a bit of a stall having teetered with the points of the same pound for about 10 days now. 186.6 one day 186.2 the next. Back and forth. As long as I don't see the full number above I try and not give it much thought. I ate at my first restaurant in 6 months a couple weeks ago. Patio seating of course. But it was the first time I was eating outside of my home since surgery and it was scary for sure. I ordered pork-shank wings and a yogurt parfait. Ate two wings and 2 bites of the parfait. The meat was delicious but 2 of them was about 3 oz and I rarely eat that much in one sitting. Towards the end of the meal with extended family (who do not know I had surgery) I was sweating and breathing deeply and praying I would not be sick. Luckily the weather was lovely and I needed to pick up some masks from a store down the street so we strolled to it after paying the bill and I was able to walk ahead with my daughter, chew a papaya enzyme and breath and burp. I made it to our car about 25 minutes later feeling much better. And by the time we got home I was fine. This "feeling" happens often actually where I've eating Protein too quickly and I feel nauseous and as if the food won't go down. But it always passes without incident. This time was the worst but I managed and I now feel much braver about eating out. I do get very hungry. Which is why I eat too quickly. I'm having about 4 very small "meals" a day, a daily coffee with fairlife and sometimes a small treat at night like 10 m&ms. And I'm ravenous for each one. I wish I was like the others who aren't hungry. Proteins are harder to digest but there really isn't anything I can't eat. And I've tried everything except rice, real bread and Pasta. When I eat a sweet my stomach bubbles a lot. But then settles. My hot flashes continue even with the new Vitamin with Black Cohosh. I figure it's just a forever thing since I've been dealing with them for a couple years now. But they are worse since surgery. The steady routine Covid provides allows me a great deal of consistency over my food schedule. So this is the time to be successful. IIt will only get harder when "real life" returns like work and travel and more outings. I've added push ups to my daily walking work out. I get in about 5 miles in a day. Nothing spectacular cardio-wise but it's steady movement. Feeling pretty good. 31.5 pounds down. Hoping for 1.5 more before Oct 9th which will be my 4 month post date and my "halfway to goal mark". That's about it. I'd love to hear how everyone else is doing in their day-to-day. Onward Bypassers!

Edited by MaybeMeow

Hello fellow Summer 2020 bypassers! Hope everyone is doing well. I'm amazed at the amount of weight that I have lost so far - I'm already 2/3 of the way to my first goal. (Well, really my only goal. I guess once I get there I'll see how I feel and decide if I need to lose more or not.)

The last few weeks have been rough. Much rougher than the first couple of months, to be honest! I just don't want to eat at all. I was having a real problem with indigestion, and felt like there was a rock sitting in the middle of my chest all the time. After consulting with my surgical team and the nutritionist, they had me start taking Pepcid (generic: famotidine) daily. Now I take one tablet every morning and sometimes a second one in the evening, if I've had anything slightly spicy to eat. IT HAS HELPED SO MUCH. I feel much better, no more pain/tightness in my chest, and everything I eat doesn't automatically make me want to vomit. I never had a problem with acid, GERD, reflux, etc. before surgery but I guess now my digestive tract is just a lot more sensitive.

Just lately I've been experiencing dizziness and feeling faint when I stand. I'm sure this is due to low blood pressure and I know it's a symptom of dehydration, though I don't have any other symptoms. So I'm duly attempting to sip on Water, iced tea, etc. all day long. It's rough to get it down when I don't even have a desire for food, and I've gone back to making myself Protein Shakes on occasion because I know I'm for sure not getting enough Protein from food either. Interested to hear how others are dealing with feelings of weakness or dizziness, if you've had them. What helps more? Protein or water? I'm sure the answer is probably "both." 😄

In other news, I finally saw an orthopedist for my frozen shoulder, and I'm going to PT twice a week. It's helping already. After discussing it with the doctor, I'm going to try to tough it out without the steroid injection for now, and just use cold/heat and that topical stuff (Voltaren) for pain relief.

You know how you can tell you've really lost some serious weight? When your underwear doesn't fit anymore. I had to get rid of a bunch of my beloved boyshorts from MeUndies. Sad day! I kept a couple to try to turn into headbands or something, haha!

@Groovymommy... You're doing GREAT! I'm so impressed with your high losses.

How many grams of Protein and Water would you say you honestly get a day? The faintness and dizzy spells are a concern. Maybe now that the pepcid is helping your stomach you'll be able to eat and drink more. Crossing my fingers for you. And congrats on the new underwear! I look forward to that.

I'm moving along. At my slow pace. My hair has started falling out. That's new and unwelcomed since I already thinned out when the early menopause hit. But I suppose it was expected. I'll also expect it to stop around month 8 like many say it will. And try and be clever with my hair styles until then. At least we're all mostly stuck at home right now.

I'm 4.5 months post and I've lost 37 since surgery and 42 since the pre-op diet. I'm between 180-181 and Just past my halfway goal to 150. On average I eat about 1000 cals a day with 65-70 protein and about the same in carbs. I get 48 ounces of water a day. No more no less. It seems to be sustaining me. I don'T have dizzy spells or weakness. But I struggle to poop and have a LOT of headaches/migraines. I've started taking motrin now and again always with a prilosec. And started a steroid for a few days sue to several mirgaines in a row. A little worried about how they will affect my stomach but so far so good minus the constant Constipation.

Not a great deal else to share. No new clothes yet but I'd gained weight fairly quickly the last year so I was still wearing a couple different sizes regularly. Clothes are definitely looser and people are starting to comment on my losses now and the which is nice. I'm eager to hit 179 as that's what I weighed on a vacation we took 4 years ago where I enjoy the pictures I'm in. So it feels like a weight I can start acknowledging that I'm looking better despite having that common resistance to actually SEEING my progress in the mirror.

The weather has turned cold here in the midwest so the daily long walks are over for a while. It's onto the treadmill which I don't love. But netflix makes it easier.

Whatcha guys eating? I still rarely get fruits and veggies in. Maybe one serving a day. Hope my Vitamin covers the rest. But I'm always hitting my protein goal so I'm feeling pretty accomplished. This is a typical day... I have my 23 gram smoothie in the morning which is greek yogurt, banana almond milk and PB2. Just had 2 oz of strip steak for lunch at 17 grams pro and two bites of my daughter's apple. The snack I just finished is coffee with chocolate fairlife milk and 1/4 cottage cheese for 13 grams pro. So I'm at 53 grams. dinner will probably Chinese stirfry. I'll have 2 oz chicken and a few snowpeas. For another 12 grams protein. Then I'll have a treat... like a square of dark chocolate or a few bites of my husband's dessert. That's a typical day. Plus 48oz water and at least 30 minutes cardio/power walking.

Hope everyone else is seeing success. Feel free to share their typical day.

ONWARD!

Well I had my doctor's visit yesterday and I am doing great, my HW was 330 on May 30th and my Surgery was 7-15-20. I am down to 243, but the biggest change was my A1C went from 6.0 to 4.4 and my doc was very happy with that. Y'all keep smiling and focused on your goal.

Hey @Michael2428, that's great! Congratulations! I hear ya on the medical progress. My blood pressure has gone down (possibly TOO low, haha) and in general that's good, it was starting to get a bit high. Can't wait to get my labs in December and see how my other numbers look.

@MaybeMeow real talk, I probably get 32-40 oz. of Fluid a day, if I concentrate on it. I can get 48 if I try really hard. On days when I don't drink a Protein Drink of some kind, I probably only get 30g or so of Protein. With a protein drink, I can easily hit 55g or more. Trouble is, I don't always have room for a protein drink.

I just CAN'T eat much. I'm still only getting at most 500-600 calories a day. I don't have room for more than that. I wonder if I need to start drinking Ensure or some crap like that? Thank goodness the Pepcid is helping with the indigestion, but eating protein is still really difficult compared to veggies, carbs, etc.

For now, I'm concentrating on drinking more fluids, so I'm forcing myself to sip Water all day, even when I'm not thirsty. I never thought I'd have problems like this! Pre-surgery I was ALWAYS hungry.

Hi friends! Just checking in. So proud of all of us. I still cant believe I had surgery lol. Ive been running 3-4x a week, 4 to 6 miles. Feels amazing. My Hair loss has slowed down, which is great...I have a lot of hair so not noticeable to the public eye but very annoying and messy.

Well I hope you are all well!!!

Hi Gang! Long time no check-in. I got locked out for some odd reason and had to open a new account. I'm celebrating today since I just broke thru a 5 week stall! Oh man was it frustrating. I went up and down on the same 1.5 pound. It started after indulging on Halloween. But today I woke down nearly TWO POUNDS. WIth my slow weight loss this is a BIG deal. I'm now at 176. I'm almost afraid to Celebrate for fear tomorrow I'll be back up again. I have my 6 month follow up appt on Tuesday. Very excited to see what my bloodwork tells me. I admit I haven't been perfectly diligent with my Vitamins. I've been taking individuals like D, C and B12 in spray form and skipping the multi and the Calcium most of the time. I decided if any of my results are low I'll suck it up and get back on the regimine I was on the first couple months. I stopped taking them because they made me feel ill. I've tried several. Always the same story. So... there's that. Not a lot to share otherwise. Still losing hair but it's maybe a little slower than before. Thanksgiving was a challenge for sure. Unlike some I am very hungry and my sugar addiction rages despite feeling nauseated when I take more than one bite of a treat. Still lots of hurdles to jump. But today feeling really good about 176. Only 26 more pound to hit my goal! Oh... one thing that might be helpful to others. Not sure if I shared it last time. I've added a 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds to my daily intake and it's reallY helped me stay regular. If others are struggling like I do and like those little seeds you might try them. Hope you're all doing well. ONWARD BYPASSERS!!

Edited by MaybeMeow2

Oh no @MaybeMeow2 I can't believe you lost access to your account! That's a bummer. Glad you're making progress and feeling pretty good.

I have continued to lose weight at a steady pace. Some weeks are slower than others, but the downward trend continues. I'm way ahead of where I thought I'd be, almost to Onederland in fact, which is just amazing to me. I feel generally pretty good. I threw up last night for the first time since my surgery, and it was totally my fault (I was eating some toast and I think I took too big of a bite and didn't chew thoroughly enough). Other than that, I have had a lot less nausea since I'm taking the Pepcid once a day.

Finally have an appointment with the bariatrician in two weeks, and I'll get labs drawn then. Curious to see how my numbers look, because while I have been taking my Vitamins and Iron faithfully, I'm pretty hit or miss on the Calcium. I don't really feel hungry, although I do feel cravings now and then. I have no problem eating a tiny amount of food and then feeling satisfied. I've also yet to find anything that caused me dumping syndrome. Apparently I can eat sugary things as long as it's in moderation, which is fine with me. :)

Happy holidays, everyone!

I have a husband who doesn't seem interested but I know he's probably just scared for me. I'm older than most of you and have health issues that might be worried. I'm 69 and have a bmi of 36 but heck i want a better quality of life than the one I have now. I'm scared to but I know if I don't do it now I'll probably never do it. Thank you for all the things that is being said it's very encouraging and helpful, God bless you all with your journey

On 6/2/2020 at 3:25 PM, 613cnn said:

Curious - does anyone have an apathetic spouse? Mine has done zero research, zero attempts to understand what's going on or how things will change, nothing. Today his question was "listen before your surgery, I want to sit down and go over things so I don't I have to worry about them" and then he went on to explain he was thinking about getting a new car and a new roof.

I cannot tell you how heartbreaking that was to me. Is anyone else going it alone? What are you doing to get through?

This morning I got my Xmas present to myself when I stepped on the scale - I have finally made it to ONEDERLAND. I honestly can't remember when I last weighed less than 200 pounds. It was definitely more than 20 years ago.

Couldn't have happened at a better time - I was feeling a little bit down, and this has really cheered me up. I hope you all have a wonderful, peaceful, joyful holiday and a much better 2021!

Hey all, how's everybody doing? I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season. Mine was nice and relaxed - and I ate quite a few Christmas cookies!

So I had my six-month checkup with my new bariatrician, along with a bunch of labs. Good news: almost all of my labs were normal, so even though I'm not as diligent about my Calcium, Iron, etc. as I should be, apparently I'm doing OK. I'm not pre-diabetic anymore! So that's a big win. I only had two abnormal labs.

Elevated B12: bariatrician said not to worry about this one, since B12 is Water soluble and I'll pee out any excess. I attribute this to all the Vitamins I'm taking, including a Prenatal & DHA Gummy that I decided to try to see if it helped with my thin, weak nails. It has quite a bit of B12 in it on top of my multi.

Elevated Serum Ferritin: this is a little more worrisome. It can be due to a bunch of things, including inflammation, and I am still recovering from a frozen shoulder. So maybe that's it? In any case, she suggested talking to my PCP about it (I have an appointment next week) and repeating the test in a few weeks.

I'm trying not to worry too much. In general I feel really good, in fact, more energetic than I have in a long time. I don't need a daily nap anymore! My food tolerance has improved, though my stomach is still tiny as hell, so I can't eat very much. My weight loss has slowed a bit but that's fine, it was super fast for the first few months. I'm really close to my initial goal, way before the one year mark, so I'm not really very worried about slowing a bit, hitting plateaus, etc.

I'm doing much better on my Fluid intake by focusing less on water and more on drinking other things: unsweetened iced tea, coffee, milk, no-sugar-added juice (sometimes watered down), and lattes that I make myself with my new milk foamer (totally worth it). Protein is still low, but I eat as much as I can and do have the occasional Protein Shake. Also buying other high-protein foods now that I've figured out a little bit of sugar doesn't bother me, like Kodiak Cakes pancake-in-a-cup things. They are delicious. And drinking milk helps too.

Anyway, just checking in. Anyone else had lab results that were unexpected?