Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 11 weeks postop today, and have tried everything under the sun for nearly constant constipation😧. Appt. with PCP this morning, gave me samples of Linzess to try—he is certain it will help. Has anyone else tried Linzess? I get in more than 64oz Fluid daily, 60-70grams Protein, soft vegetables and fruits, avg 800-900 cal daily. Walk 2-3 miles at least 5 mornings weekly, avoid cheese, ya di ya da.

Last Sunday I was so blocked, drank an entire bottle of magnesium citrate and still nothing. It took a full dose of milk of mag that night to get anything going. Not healthy to continue on that way....thus trying Linzess. If anyone has postop experience with it, would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

11 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

I have the oposite issue, but:

Have you tried eating more Fiber, and all the tricks in the book like prunes, drinking coffee and probiotic foods?

Have you tried a a real enema?

I was blocked for 3-4 days after surgery, but that was all fortunantly. I like going 3 times a day. Had to place a large enema because I couldn't take it. I cant imagine how it must be for you who suffer this long term.

Yes, have tried Miralax, Benefiber Clear, no help so tried Metamucil psyllium, seemed to work for a few days but then back to no help. Surgeon suggested address from both ends...Milk of Mag plus suppository or enema, may work on occasion then back to same old. I cannot keep waiting until I’m several days out and have a real problem on my hands, nor use those “poop tools” on a regular basis.

So this post is mostly looking for anyone’s experience with LINZESS. I appreciate the effort of other ideas but they have been largely exhausted.

Thanks!

one of the vets who used to be on here took Linzess and swore by it. She's the only one in memory who used that, though. It'd be worth a shot, at least.

Glycerine Suppositories?

1 hour ago, Lily66 said:

I am 11 weeks postop today, and have tried everything under the sun for nearly constant constipation😧. Appt. with PCP this morning, gave me samples of Linzess to try—he is certain it will help. Has anyone else tried Linzess? I get in more than 64oz Fluid daily, 60-70grams Protein, soft vegetables and fruits, avg 800-900 cal daily. Walk 2-3 miles at least 5 mornings weekly, avoid cheese, ya di ya da.

Last Sunday I was so blocked, drank an entire bottle of magnesium citrate and still nothing. It took a full dose of milk of mag that night to get anything going. Not healthy to continue on that way....thus trying Linzess. If anyone has postop experience with it, would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Oh boy, I know EXACTLY how you feel! Last week and the week before I had massive issues and ended up going to the ER because nothing worked! I still have no idea what caused it, but I cut out banana's from my diet because those cause Constipation and I also cut out my Iron for a WEEK and am slowly weaning myself back on it. I'm only taking 1 a day this week and will add the second back in next week and so far it's worked (I used to take 3 a day because of my surgery, but the surgeon's office said to cut down to two since constipation is a sign that my iron levels were too high). And I'm dairy sensitive and always have been so dairy has the opposite effect on me and makes me... go... but even that didn't help those two weeks. I was taking Miralax daily, and Milk of Magnesia daily and nothing! I had taken a stool softener with stimulants and it hadn't worked at all when I'd gone to the ER and they gave me fluids and a few hours later I was able to go... such a relief! But still don't understand if it was the stool softener or the fluids lol. I drink 52+ ounces of Fluid every day not including the fruit and popsicles that I eat that also has fluid so I wasn't dehydrated. I'm still confused about what worked lol

15 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

one of the vets who used to be on here took Linzess and swore by it. She's the only one in memory who used that, though. It'd be worth a shot, at least.

When I did a search on Linzess, one of the board’s veterans came up, I PM’d her, she was both very helpful and gracious. With all of the Constipation discussion here on the board, I was/am curious as to how many have tried Linzess. Hopefully the others have found their answer.

I so understand your issue. Suffered with it myself. I tried Fiber pills, softeners, and all kinds of other things. My Dr. gave me Linzess and it worked very well. I suffered no side effects, except it pushed me a bit too far the other way. I was so happy to not be constipated anymore that I just put up with it for quite a while. I am now on Amitiza. same type thing, but it doesn't seem to push me the other way. I would guess it is just something you have to try. But I am much happier to be rid of that particular problem.

I heard of Amitaza recently, I’m not sure what the difference is between the two. I was trying to research this. Years ago I was taking Zelnorm and that worked well for me and I was so upset when they took it off the market. I remember when they took it off the market and my gastroenterologist at the time had nerve to give me like five different drugs at the same time and I got so sick I had to stop them. And all he could say was tell me if you find something that works ...

there is such mixed information about fiber that sometimes I wonder why as humans we need to take bulking agents in our diet to get things to pass through our system. Understanding nutrition I know you need both soluble and insoluble fibers particularly how the soluble fiber feeds the healthy gut bacteria. And the insoluble binds to whatever fats or calories or waste to draw it out ... but how effective is bulking really and especially with bypass we don’t want to fill our stomach with nonessential stuff.

it’s like why can birds go so easily 🤣 but humans suffer to find that right balance? I remember an article where someone tested it out not eating fiber foods. Interesting how there’s always contrasting information out there even on health issues. And so many times no one can agree on anything.

all I know is I’m tired of colonoscopies they screw up the gut regulation. And laxatives do as well, the one thing about Linzess is that it’s not a laxative. That’s extremely important.

On 5/27/2020 at 3:41 PM, Lily66 said:

Did the Linzess work ?

Technically, yes, Linzess “worked”, however my migraine’s were also triggered by it. Not everyone would have that by any means, but because I’ve had to be on the triptan’s for over 20 years, and now Aimovig, migraine’s are an issue here.

In discussing it with PC Dr. we decided since I was entering the stage of adding more vegetables and moderate fruits back into my diet, let’s hope that will help, in addition to Milk of Mag daily until I’m regular (enough). So far so good.

Must admit, it was nice to have that morning BM so effortlessly on the Linzess, but as we know, these meds so often have side effects.

On 6/29/2020 at 3:36 AM, Lily66 said:

Technically, yes, Linzess “worked”, however my migraine’s were also triggered by it. Not everyone would have that by any means, but because I’ve had to be on the triptan’s for over 20 years, and now Aimovig, migraine’s are an issue here.

In discussing it with PC Dr. we decided since I was entering the stage of adding more vegetables and moderate fruits back into my diet, let’s hope that will help, in addition to Milk of Mag daily until I’m regular (enough). So far so good.

Must admit, it was nice to have that morning BM so effortlessly on the Linzess, but as we know, these meds so often have side effects.

Did fruits and Vggs help? I keep ping pinging between unstoppable diarrhea and bleeding Constipation.< br /> I’m truly miserable.

I just got this email update and thought maybe I’d update my own on Linzess and hopefully not too long a story here. But taking linzess due to chronic issues even prior to gastric bypass surgery I ended up moving to a higher dose. It wasn’t very consistent for me. But I think some of my issue is nerve damage and muscle weakness, spasms.

After I had plastics to remove excess skin with a Belt Lipectomy/ Butterfly Lift and some stomach muscle tightening I stopped Linzess. It did help more initially and I got off the medication. I still have problems due to chronic illness but now I just take Dulcolax soft chews which are the only thing that doesn’t cause painful cramping. And it’s easier to control dosage.

also keep in mind dietary fiber, getting fluids, and other factors can effect this. Chia is a good source of fiber and you can make a chia Protein pudding.you need both soluble and insoluble fibers.

10 hours ago, Zom B said:

Did fruits and Vggs help? I keep ping pinging between unstoppable diarrhea and bleeding constipation.< br /> I’m truly miserable.

Oh dear...I trust you’ve called Dr. re bleeding Constipation? My heart goes out to you on this whole issue...for many of us bowels are a challenge. Just when I think I’ve nailed what works- it doesn’t, so from my end I can’t really give good advice. Lately, what has worked for me is Swiss Kriss, which is senna and herbs. It is a laxative, however, and daily laxative is not where I want to be.

I see my PCP in a few weeks and am planning to give Linzess (not a laxative) another try. At 11 weeks out he suggested it and gave me samples to try. Deep down I felt I hadn’t given my body, fruits, veggies, fiber, more volume enough time, so after his samples were over decided against it-though it did seem to work. Now? Seven months out? I’ve tried it all and ready to give Linzess a “go” (pun intended😅).

Best of luck to you and keep us posted!💖

14 hours ago, Lily66 said:

Oh dear...I trust you’ve called Dr. re bleeding constipation? My heart goes out to you on this whole issue...for many of us bowels are a challenge. Just when I think I’ve nailed what works- it doesn’t, so from my end I can’t really give good advice. Lately, what has worked for me is Swiss Kriss, which is senna and herbs. It is a laxative, however, and daily laxative is not where I want to be.

I see my PCP in a few weeks and am planning to give Linzess (not a laxative) another try. At 11 weeks out he suggested it and gave me samples to try. Deep down I felt I hadn’t given my body, fruits, veggies, Fiber, more volume enough time, so after his samples were over decided against it-though it did seem to work. Now? Seven months out? I’ve tried it all and ready to give Linzess a “go” (pun intended😅).

Best of luck to you and keep us posted!💖

Be careful with senna, it irritates the bladder. Although more so for me because I eventually found out I have interstitial cystitis. I tried Ayurvedic (Triphala but you can get a blend of herbs) they all say short term use. I’d rather not rely on anything but when you have a complicated medical history everything is complicated ... years ago I took zelnorm and it was good but got pulled from the market. My gastroenterologist gave me at least five medications to replace it and I tried but got very sick and I said no way. His answer well let me know if you find something that works ...

linzess is good but a bit inconsistent. When all else fails it’s worth trying since it’s not a laxative.

13 hours ago, MsMocie said:

You need to see a doctor asap. Bleeding in the anal section should be taken serious.

Honestly they don’t take it as seriously as you would think. I had a ct show severe narrowing of the colon. I have had bleeding. My gastroenterologist once said well unless I end up in hospital in an emergency situation then nothing they could do ... because My colonoscopies show diverticulitis. I’ve had for years usually you get them after age 60. Of course during colonoscopy they expand the colon with air they won’t see functional conditions. And they right off assume bleeding is hemorrhoids. Like I want to say that’s something natural like a cushion system to protect the bowels but it’s not natural to have bleeding.

sorry to sound angry. I am having some issue that my blood labs showed elevated liver levels I need them rechecked. And very pale stools. As well as bleeding, I’m just hesitant to see the gastroenterologist I sure as heck am not having colonoscopy again why you ask? Prior to my last one I had pelvic surgery and part of that surgery was damaged by the colonoscopy. And I had to have the surgery done again to fix it. The doctor was having to go in anyway due to endometriosis and he ended up finding out for sure ive interstitial cystitis. I’m just grateful he did fix it. But it meant more incisions and stitches.

stupid browser posted my message before I was ready and now I’m not sure exactly what I meant to say ...

Edited by Darktowerdream

1 hour ago, Darktowerdream said:

sorry to sound angry. I am having some issue that my blood labs showed elevated liver levels I need them rechecked.

elevated liver levels are common the first year or two after surgery. It's evidently because rapid weight loss is really tough on livers. Mine finally normalized right around year 2. So yours may just be related to that...