Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

feeling like this is stuff and nonesense

I too opt not to be super tight. I have lost slower than some, but it has been lost none the less! I do not "diet" per se, I am conscious of what I eat...and do my best to make wise choices most of the time. As Jachut said, that is so much easier to do when you reach a level of restriction to where the band does help you!

I used to walk into the house, and was starving, so I grabbed, Cookies, chips, anything ready to eat,and gorged myself! Now I walk in, and with the hunger at bay, I can make myself happy with a yogurt, or a wedge of cheese. I keep leftovers on hand, and snack away at them.

This is how I expect to live the remainder of my life, so I do not care to live on a diet forever! Did I make bad choices in food? You bet I did! Do I still make bad choices in food? Sure do! I just work on it the next time I eat. No matter what with the bad choices on occasion, I am eating so much healthier than I did pre band--it is hard for me to believe. BUT it took me a year and a half to get here, where this feels normal!

A band without proper restriction is like a car without gas. You can push it, but it is not doing what it was designed to do! Your band is sitting there, it just needs its "gas". Go for the next fill, work with your Dr. to find a good level of restriction, and you will have HELP from the band! If we could do this on will power alone, none of us would be on this board.

Feeling like crap from making bad choices is actually a step in the right direction, you are recognizing the areas in which you need to work. I know I would do great through the day, and then evening would hit, and I would graze! When I stopped losing, and got all bummed out, I realized I was happy with my choices all day, then went to bed feeling crappy about myself, and realized it was due to the choices I made each night. So I began revamping my evening plan! And slowly it worked!

Get your band on board, and working with you, and you will find a new attitude comes with it I bet. Til then recognizing where the problem lies, is a great way to begin solving the issues.

That sure sounds like a bunch of hooey from a self help book--but it worked for me!

Kat

Kat817: It's not hooey. You've expressed perfectly what I've been trying to do. Everyday I learn something new about how to live with the band, what I can and cannot eat, how to chew(!). I make good food choices, which includes an occasional cookie (but just one cookie). I'm losing about a pound a week and I'm going with that.

Lainee,

It's not necessarily up to the bands or the fill level to do this for you as you elude to in your message. In fact, after various fill levels I'm happiest at totally empty. I feel more in control of things and believe it or not, I'm healthier and more fit.

I'm 100% in agreement with Jaqui. The "all or nothing" mentality is partially to blame for where you are right now and the failure of diets the world over. As soon as someone thinks they've "cheated" or "fallen off the wagon", they give up. Part of a healthy lifestyle is to understand that you are human and you will make poor decisions once in a while. But a poor decision today can easily be remedied by making an about face and making a better decision the next time food is presented.

I'd recommend reading up on diet, nutrition and how the body reacts to a change in diet. Portion size is only a small factor in this. A small portion of Ben and Jerry's ice cream is still 300+ calories versus a large portion of other food. Watch for calorie dense foods, empty calories and liquid calories. Get active even if it's only walking or doing something very low impact. The key is to move. By moving, you burn off calories and improve your muscles (which burn more calories than fat).

Track what you're eating-you'll know exactly how many calories, fat grams, Protein grams you're taking in and you'll be a well informed bandster. FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal has free food logging, but programs can be purchased for your personal PC or even a hand-held device. I used a program for my hand-held and kept it in my purse so that I could log as the day went on. Whenever I feel myself getting "off track", I log again.

Good Luck and be patient with yourself. This is an individual journey. Try not to compare yourself to others (as hard as that may be).

Gang

Take the words of failure & cheating out of your vocabulary...

Replace them with fell off the band wagon & treats.

When you fall off you get up and dust your butt off and march on - and if you have a treat it's not a cheat - I agree with Jacqui and the all or nothing - It's not that one piece of cake that made you fat but the 2nd & 3rd on.

I will tell you all my humble opionion - you do have to work at this - you have to make a lifetime lifestyle change in your eating habits - you need to make healthy low fat low sugar food choices and you have to add exercise in to your life. If you continue your poor eating habits and don't exercise you are not going to lose weight - plan and simple

You can do this... Your life is at stake.... food is our drug of choice and it's killing us.. Once you start eating healthy you will feel better and not crave those treat as often and once you see the scale moving down wards you will have additional motivation

If you have a treat - pay for it by increasing your exercise and reducing your calorie the next day.

I truely beleive in keeping a food diary and logging every bit of food that passes your lips - It will show you what you are eating - if you are eating too much or maybe even not enough.

You gotta quit the pitty parties and thinking this is too hard - You gotta step up and do the work - they banded your tummy - but not your head and the real problems lies there...