Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I'm not worried Ive smashed all my goals and in maintenance mode doing well..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@summerset how are you doing with your revision ? You are almost 3 months out and had the by pass if I remember correctly ? How is your strength at this point ? Are you able to eat solids well and how much are you eating at one time ? Do you feel like you have restriction if you are eating Beef, chicken, seafood, pork ect ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tracyringo Eating seems to be a bit more problematic atm. The MGB seems to be "more forgiving", so to say. But then again maybe I can't remember some issues I had during the first months after MGB.

When I eat too fast or too much or too heavy foods I get a stomach ache. Can be from mild to wanting-to-crawling-up-the-walls. I never had that with MGB. However, my stomach is quite a primadonna since years so please take this answer with a grain of salt. The worst are dense high-protein/fat combinations. It's almost a guarantee for at least mild issues and a brick like feeling in the stomach. These things are very individual though. It makes me remember what one of the dietitians said to a fellow patient: "I can't tell you what to eat or not to eat. You have to find out what foods you tolerate or not. I can recommend eating dairy and chicken but when dairy makes you feel queasy and chicken makes you vomit the advice is worth nothing in the end."

Regarding restriction: for me it's stronger than with the MGB right now but I guess in some months it will be about equal. Mind you, the revision was less than 3 months ago. Hunger signals are the same, they're very mild.

I was supposed to start on solids three weeks after surgery in stead of four weeks. I was quite glad I could progress to solids a week earlier but have to say progression was less easy this time. While I struggled through the liquid/puree phase this time I also don't think it would have been possible to start solids earlier than this. I had awful cravings this time for "normal" foods like tofu with rice, cucumbers, whatever... Some people suggested this was because I was already at a normal weight when I got revision so maybe you're going to experience something similar, no idea.

How much I can eat varies from meal to meal and that feels kind of frustrating. What's too much and causing issues one meal might be the right amount or even not enough the next time. In general foods with a high Water content (e. g. fruit, raw vegetables) I tolerate best and usually don't cause issues so cherry tomatoes berries and grapes are favorite snack foods right now. I don't eat meat so I can't answer only part of your question.

Strength and the like I'm hesitant to reply because I had not only the revision but also another little surgery regarding trocar hernia. The upper abdominal wall still feels strange when I exercise but in the end it was the fifth laparoscopy plus trocar hernia surgery, so I guess I simply have to be patient. I also feel quite stressed and exhausted these days because of work, lots of rather sh*tty 24 h shifts and on-call duties. I'm glad I'm going on vacation on Saturday for two weeks. After that I'm going to re-evaluate what might be surgery related and what might be stress related.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@summerset Thank you for all the information. I really appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2020 at 3:47 AM, summerset said:

@Tracyringo Eating seems to be a bit more problematic atm. The MGB seems to be "more forgiving", so to say. But then again maybe I can't remember some issues I had during the first months after MGB.

When I eat too fast or too much or too heavy foods I get a stomach ache. Can be from mild to wanting-to-crawling-up-the-walls. I never had that with MGB. However, my stomach is quite a primadonna since years so please take this answer with a grain of salt. The worst are dense high-protein/fat combinations. It's almost a guarantee for at least mild issues and a brick like feeling in the stomach. These things are very individual though. It makes me remember what one of the dietitians said to a fellow patient: "I can't tell you what to eat or not to eat. You have to find out what foods you tolerate or not. I can recommend eating dairy and chicken but when dairy makes you feel queasy and chicken makes you vomit the advice is worth nothing in the end."

Regarding restriction: for me it's stronger than with the MGB right now but I guess in some months it will be about equal. Mind you, the revision was less than 3 months ago. Hunger signals are the same, they're very mild.

I was supposed to start on solids three weeks after surgery in stead of four weeks. I was quite glad I could progress to solids a week earlier but have to say progression was less easy this time. While I struggled through the liquid/puree phase this time I also don't think it would have been possible to start solids earlier than this. I had awful cravings this time for "normal" foods like tofu with rice, cucumbers, whatever... Some people suggested this was because I was already at a normal weight when I got revision so maybe you're going to experience something similar, no idea.

How much I can eat varies from meal to meal and that feels kind of frustrating. What's too much and causing issues one meal might be the right amount or even not enough the next time. In general foods with a high Water content (e. g. fruit, raw vegetables) I tolerate best and usually don't cause issues so cherry tomatoes berries and grapes are favorite snack foods right now. I don't eat meat so I can't answer only part of your question.

Strength and the like I'm hesitant to reply because I had not only the revision but also another little surgery regarding trocar hernia. The upper abdominal wall still feels strange when I exercise but in the end it was the fifth laparoscopy plus trocar hernia surgery, so I guess I simply have to be patient. I also feel quite stressed and exhausted these days because of work, lots of rather sh*tty 24 h shifts and on-call duties. I'm glad I'm going on vacation on Saturday for two weeks. After that I'm going to re-evaluate what might be surgery related and what might be stress related.

I can already tell I want to eat regular food even though I know it wouldn't work right now so I wait. You are right about that. I seen bacon in the fridge and was like geez here I go again, back to eating like a newborn. I know this will all pass but seriously I had just started 6 months ago to be able to eat a small meal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tracyringo I just hated these three weeks. I'm curious how eating will be during vacation. Had some mild issues yesterday evening but nothing serious. I still feel quite tensed, I guess it will take a few days of hanging around and sleeping in before accumulated stress will be gone.

The weather could be a little bit more sunny but may it will get better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, summerset said:

@Tracyringo I just hated these three weeks. I'm curious how eating will be during vacation. Had some mild issues yesterday evening but nothing serious. I still feel quite tensed, I guess it will take a few days of hanging around and sleeping in before accumulated stress will be gone.

The weather could be a little bit more sunny but may it will get better.

I hope you have the best vaca with no issues !!

I am going on a cruise with my daughter in Sept for her 28th B day and am hoping 3 1/2 months out I will be fine to eat. I actually am thinking it will go okay if I can keep the progression going with no problems !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What helped cravings for savory stuff was putting natural Peanut Butter in Soups. I don't know if you're on Clear Liquids or not. Protocols vary.

We got a cup of Water several hours after surgery on our nightstand that should last through the night. Day after surgery was water and cold tea only and from then on stuff like yoghurt, cream soups etc.

---

Sun is out!

😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, summerset said:

What helped cravings for savory stuff was putting natural Peanut Butter in Soups. I don't know if you're on Clear Liquids or not. Protocols vary.

We got a cup of Water several hours after surgery on our nightstand that should last through the night. Day after surgery was Water and cold tea only and from then on stuff like yoghurt, cream Soups etc.

---

Sun is out!

😁

I am on full liquids and I am pretty sure Thursday they will progress me to scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, ect. I say this because I was eating those things and Beans ect 1 week post op sleeve. I am looking forward to progressing and seeing how my body reacts.

Edited by Tracyringo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scrambled eggs was something that made me puke my guts out after MGB the first time I tried them after being cleared for all foods after four weeks, lol. Beans were a no-no for the first four weeks as well (because gas!). As I said protocols vary and last time I was allowed all foods after three weeks instead of four.

Just be careful when introducing new foods. It will work out and the worst time will be over in a few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, summerset said:

Scrambled eggs was something that made me puke my guts out after MGB the first time I tried them after being cleared for all foods after four weeks, lol. Beans were a no-no for the first four weeks as well (because gas!). As I said protocols vary and last time I was allowed all foods after three weeks instead of four.

Just be careful when introducing new foods. It will work out and the worst time will be over in a few days.

I have heard that the bypass is different with food and what works one day may not work the next. I plan on trying one thing at a time. I also have been told you have to chew chew chew because it gets stuck ?

I do understand the drinking rule and have no problem with that. I didn't drink 30 min or better after eating with sleeve and I didn't drink with meals, so I am use to that. What about before though ? I had one person tell me she drinks and will eat within 5 minutes of it but not after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tracyringo said:

What about before though ? I had one person tell me she drinks and will eat within 5 minutes of it but not after.

Same here. I also remember one of the dietitians claiming it's not that problematic with bypass but more with the sleeve as liquids pass rather quickly through the anastomosis. Can't remember the exact words because it's 4 years ago now.

I know the 30 min rule but noticed early in that before eating the drinking up until a few minutes before the meal is no problem. After the meal drinking too early is just making me feel uncomfortable. Sometimes I wait longer than 30 min. Sometimes it's just 25 min or something like that. Depends on meal size and meal consistency.

Mind you, this is not how I handled it a few days out. Take it slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Tracyringo said:

I have heard that the bypass is different with food and what works one day may not work the next. I plan on trying one thing at a time. I also have been told you have to chew chew chew because it gets stuck ?

In the really early weeks, yes. However, I heard the same about sleevers, so dunno...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/26/2020 at 2:09 PM, summerset said:
On 5/26/2020 at 10:06 AM, Tracyringo said:

What about before though ? I had one person tell me she drinks and will eat within 5 minutes of it but not after.

Same here. I also remember one of the dietitians claiming it's not that problematic with bypass but more with the sleeve as liquids pass rather quickly through the anastomosis. Can't remember the exact words because it's 4 years ago now.

I know the 30 min rule but noticed early in that before eating the drinking up until a few minutes before the meal is no problem. After the meal drinking too early is just making me feel uncomfortable. Sometimes I wait longer than 30 min. Sometimes it's just 25 min or something like that. Depends on meal size and meal consistency.

Mind you, this is not how I handled it a few days out. Take it slow.

I'm a sleever and also noticed early on that I could drink as much as I wanted right up to eating a meal with no issue. During a meal, I will fill up really quick. After a meal, I will likely barf if I don't wait at least 30-40 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×