Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all, I was sleeved 8/9/17 and from the very start I had issues. The first night after surgery I didn't sleep and neither did the lady in the room with me because I coughed all night in a raised position. Little did I know that coughing was a sign of what was to come. GERD !!!! A few days after leaving the hospital I was awoken out of a dead sleep chocking on acid that burned my nose and throat. I was given 3 different PPI before I found one that gave me relief from that part of it. I have had burning for almost 3 years now and have erosive esophagitis Grade D.

My revision date has been reset now for May 22 ( 3rd times a charm) I am not happy to be doing this as the sleeve has worked out pretty well for me, although I know it must be done. I am 5 lbs over my original goal weight of 180 after getting down in the 160s this past summer. I would like to lose 25 to 30 lbs and that is about it.

I am scared of all the unknowns and after reading the post " I Hate the By pass " it made me think about all the restriction I will be losing. I am also worried about Vitamin deficiencies.

Anyone out there glad they had the revision ?

Well I had bypass as my first surgery and it has been amazing for me no issues with Vitamins at all.. perfect blood tests now..I still have restriction on what i can eat even on my big days I still eat way less than I used to..

I'm not a revision patient, but just wanted to say that as long as you keep on top of taking your Vitamins, deficiencies are pretty rare. There are some people whose bodies don't absorb oral Iron well who have to get occasional iron infusions, but most of us absorb it just fine. Otherwise, I really don't hear about deficiencies except for people who don't keep on top of their vitamins.

I don't think that lack-of-restriction thing is universal. It probably depends on the person.

I have been low on Vitamin D and took the 50,000 U for 6 months and came back still low after the 6 months. I am still on it now.

@catwoman7 Looks though you did very well on your weight loss according to your stats. Are you still maintaining the 150 lbs ?

I hit the 150 loss as well woohoo

8 minutes ago, Superman84 said:

I hit the 150 loss as well woohoo

Well of course you did, you are Superman !! lol Congrats on the awesome losses. How did you feel at 3 months out? I asking you because I see you had your surgery in Oct. I am going on vacation in Sept

I was still on shakes and had very little urge to eat anything so I was satisfied but I was well and truly healed and everything...

Yeah I'm over 6 months out now from surgery day... Eating more normal food now..

1 hour ago, Tracyringo said:

I have been low on Vitamin D and took the 50,000 U for 6 months and came back still low after the 6 months. I am still on it now.

@catwoman7 Looks though you did very well on your weight loss according to your stats. Are you still maintaining the 150 lbs ?

I was at 150 for about 2-3 years (my lowest point was 138, but it gradually went back up and I settled at 150 for a very long time - which was great because I think 138 was way too low for me. I could see every rib and my face looked awful. 150 was actually the perfect weight for me). But last fall I was abroad for the whole month of October, and then came back in time for the holidays. By the first of January, I was at 160. And freaked. I've been really working at getting that off because I want to be back down to 150, but it is S-L-O-W going - about 1-2 lbs a month. But since I am, according to the BMI chart, 3 to 4 lbs "overweight" (depending on the day), I wasn't too surprised by that. So hopefully by July or so I'll be back to where I want to be.

a word to the wise - once you get to where you want to be, do whatever you can to avoid gaining weight. It is a b*tch to take off, even if it's just 5 or 10 lbs! (I used to roll my eyes at these normal weight or slightly overweight women who would complain about how hard it was to lose five lbs. HA! I could have done that in a weekend! But now I get it...)

I know what ya mean about losing too low and looking sickly. When I hit 164 my mom said I needed to stop. My face was drawn in and the skin was worse too ! I would actually like to hit 160 and hold there. I figure it will take me 3 months to lose 25 lb.

I had already started struggling just to get a few pounds off and it sucks because a year ago I could do it without too much issue. So yes, I will be sticking to the 5 lb rule which worked very well for me until I decided to use covid as an excuse to gain 10 lbs !

3 hours ago, Superman84 said:

I was still on shakes and had very little urge to eat anything so I was satisfied but I was well and truly healed and everything...

Yeah I'm over 6 months out now from surgery day... Eating more normal food now..

What is your normal food and do you weigh your food?

Technically the size of your stomach will be the same (if not smaller) as I understand that the revision from sleeve to bypass is just the re-routing of intestines. That said, *technically* you will have at least the same restriction, if not better. The difference is the pyloric valve. Since the bypass skips this part of the digestive tract, "slider foods" will essentially slide through with the by-pass. So, as long as you keep to dense foods first mantra, you *should* not see much difference in restriction.

But like @catwoman7 said above, each person will get a different experience.

Congrats on all the weight you've lost, btw...you look great in your profile pic!

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

a word to the wise - once you get to where you want to be, do whatever you can to avoid gaining weight. It is a b*tch to take off, even if it's just 5 or 10 lbs! (I used to roll my eyes at these normal weight or slightly overweight women who would complain about how hard it was to lose five lbs. HA! I could have done that in a weekend! But now I get it...) 

+1 on this as well. I gained 6 lbs over a couple months (feb-march) and it was not as easy to lose it as it was a year ago. While before it would take 1-2 weeks with little effort, this time around took about a month with dedicated effort. So I can only think that a year, two years, from now it will be even more difficult....

5 minutes ago, Tracyringo said:

I know what ya mean about losing too low and looking sickly.

Ok, so here is a interesting anecdote. When I reached goal (127), i was constantly getting the comments that I was too gaunt/skinny/sickly looking. And I guess I even I thought that way to a certain extent.

Now I am 12lbs lighter than that weight and I look waaaaaaay better (both in my opinion and others).

I *think* that most people find that you start to fill out a bit (or the weight re-distributes, or something?) when weight loss phase is over. Another theory is that I added some carbs back into my diet after goal, and that contributed to "puffing" me up in my face and other areas to look me less gaunt.

3 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Ok, so here is a interesting anecdote. When I reached goal (127), i was constantly getting the comments that I was too gaunt/skinny/sickly looking. And I guess I even I thought that way to a certain extent.

Now I am 12lbs lighter than that weight and I look waaaaaaay better (both in my opinion and others).

I *think* that most people find that you start to fill out a bit (or the weight re-distributes, or something?) when weight loss phase is over. Another theory is that I added some carbs back into my diet after goal, and that contributed to "puffing" me up in my face and other areas to look me less gaunt.

Now that is interesting.

What's going on its like I can't stop losing weight lol

IMG_20200516_154525.jpg

6 hours ago, Superman84 said:

What's going on its like I can't stop losing weight lol

IMG_20200516_154525.jpg

yea - well, just wait. That effect won't last forever.