Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I’ve decided to start the process for bariatric surgery. I’m considering vsg. My insurance requires 6 months of weigh ins/dr visits. Although, if BMI is over 50, the six month waiting period is waived. My BMI is 48.5. If I gain 10 pounds, I will hit 50 BMI.

The weight management bariatric clinic I was referred to is closed due to COVID 19. I can’t get an anyone to answer the phone. I have no dates set up yet for anything. I’m miserable due to recent and rapid weight gain. I would like to have the surgery done this year. I have already met my out of pocket spending with my insurance due to other issues, so the bariatric surgery will be covered if I have it this year.

I’m well aware that I can put rocks in my pocket or ankle weights on my ankles to add more pounds to the scale. However, I am also aware that this is fraud.

Should I focus on gaining the ten pounds and feeling worse? Or, should I focus on attempting to lose weight and doing six month weigh ins?
Thus, putting me at surgery next year. Also, I had my thyroid removed last year and it’s almost impossible to lose weight. Either way, I’m in a no win situation.

Looking for advice.
Thank you!!

Hi,

If I were you, I would double check to see if the weight loss program have to be in person or could it be completed via telemedicine or another method. I just found out that my insurance approved a three month course, in place of the 7 months weight loss program. If the program is online, you have the option of putting in the weight yourself. Just a thought...

I actually found the six-month period very helpful. For one, it gave me a lot more time to research the procedure, post-op life, etc. I read several books and spent lots and lots of time on bariatric internet forums. I felt really well-prepared before I went in for surgery - moreso than I would have been had I just attended the pre-op classes that my clinic mandates.

also, the two dietitians I had during that period helped me to gradually change my eating habits so that the post-op plan wouldn't seem so radical. For example, they had me gradually increase my Protein, gradually decrease my carbs and calories, slowly wean myself off caffeine and carbonated beverages, start an exercise program and work up slowly, etc. Nothing ever seemed too drastic - and like I said, once I got on the post-op eating plan (after the first few weeks of liquids/purees, that is), it didn't seem so radically different than what I was doing before.

so my intention here is even if you have to do the six-month thing, embrace it. At first I was not happy about having to go through it and just wanted the darn surgery, but I did find this period really helpful.

8 hours ago, Liz989 said:

Hi,

I’ve decided to start the process for bariatric surgery. I’m considering vsg. My insurance requires 6 months of weigh ins/dr visits. Although, if BMI is over 50, the six month waiting period is waived. My BMI is 48.5. If I gain 10 pounds, I will hit 50 BMI.

The weight management bariatric clinic I was referred to is closed due to COVID 19. I can’t get an anyone to answer the phone. I have no dates set up yet for anything. I’m miserable due to recent and rapid weight gain. I would like to have the surgery done this year. I have already met my out of pocket spending with my insurance due to other issues, so the bariatric surgery will be covered if I have it this year.

I’m well aware that I can put rocks in my pocket or ankle weights on my ankles to add more pounds to the scale. However, I am also aware that this is fraud.

Should I focus on gaining the ten pounds and feeling worse? Or, should I focus on attempting to lose weight and doing six month weigh ins?
Thus, putting me at surgery next year. Also, I had my thyroid removed last year and it’s almost impossible to lose weight. Either way, I’m in a no win situation.

Looking for advice.
Thank you!!

Go for it! After all what's 10lbs between friends 😂

814jWPoMUcL~2.jpg

I would think you BMI is fine but you can easy wear a Vest for working out under your clothes- has a plate of steel or sand - would never see it