Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Countdown to last adjustment-UNFILL

My goal was keep this restriction unitl January. I've not been able to eat much of anything for a few months. Not that that's the problem...I'm starting to have issues due to malnutrition. Last night I was at the ER with chest pains...seems my potassium is so low all my muscles are aching...not to mention feeling like I have the flu all the time.

Anyways, 1 more month of this and I'm going in for an unfill. I will have reached my goal.

But what do I ask to be left in the band? I don't want a complete unfill as surely I will start gaining weight.

But how much do they take out when you reach your goal to prevent further weight loss and go to maintenance?

I am sorry you are so tight. Grace, in the meantime, you can help your nutrition by having a Protein shake every morning, drop a 1/2 a banana in there. Take your liquid Vitamins, be good to your body.

As to what to drop your fill to. I don't have an answer for you. Everyone is so different.

For me, I was thinking that at 2.8, I was able to eat nice small meals and maintain. If I need a defill at goal, 2.8 would be good for me. But everyone is different. I have recorded my fills and posted my reactions. So I have a pretty good idea.

But aren't we lucky that this band is adjustable?

Grace, I have a size 10 band which holds 4ccs. I was at 3.2 and went down to 2.9 and have maintained okay. You may only need to go do .3 or so. Try it out. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice...seems that maybe since I had 2 fills...and the first one didn't give restriction but the second one did...

maybe I should go to the amount of the 1st fill...as in remove the 2nd fill.

I'll surely update everyone on what works.

Grace, I'm gonna be honest with you. You may have more of a struggle with maintenance than other bandsters. The reason? Because you haven't learned to eat healthy, whole foods. You are starvation dieting, just like many of us have done over and over throughout our lives. Once you loosen up that band, you may find yourself going hog wild, because you deprived yourself for so long. I know it's not what you want to hear, but I'd recommend a slight unfill now. Taking that last 20 pounds a little slower, while learning better eating habits, might make maintenance a little easier. Keeping the weight off is half of the battle.

Tami

Tami, you are so right. That's my goal - to get an unfill so I can go on maintenance. A total unfill will surely do me in.

But I've been so restricted I can't eat green leafy vegetables, chicken, vegetables, etc. All I can do is eat something- slime it up- and go on.

I've been so blessed that the band has worked to get the weight off...now I need to go to the next phase of having the band help me maintain the weight loss.

Can't wait to sit down to a meal consisting of meat and veggies...been so long!

I feel bad for you, how you've gone about losing your weight. "One more month of this and I'll go for an unfill" Are you kidding?

And your ticker says you have 20lbs left, you're gonna lose 20lbs in a month? Why are you punishing yourself? Get a slight unfill RIGHT now, learn some habits that are going to help you when you ARE trying to maintain, and lose that last bit of weight slowly!!! You shouldn't be longing for a meal of meat and veggies!

You said it yourself that you're malnourished, what more proof do you need that what you're doing isn't a good thing?

I am not sure how to word this as to not offend.

If you haven't learned to eat good, whole, healthy foods, your chance of regaining any weight you have lost is very, very high. Even without an unfill.

Starvation works for a limited time, because it is not sustainable long term.

I would be less concerned about losing the last bit of weight, and more concerned with getting healthy. It's nice to be thin, but thin is no prize if you are malnourished and sick.

Thanks guys for the input. I'm knocking out 2 birds with one stone.

My life is so much different now than even a year ago:

I can actually prepare food...not just open a box or nuke a pizza.

I can sit with my family at the table and actually carry on conversation whereas I used to sit, inhale, and get up.

I am now one of the last one's to finish.

I enjoy all colors/flavors/textures of food. Before ..taste? What's that? I inhaled everything so I couldn't taste, feel, smell...anything.

I enjoy my size 8 jacket from Nordstroms.

I enjoy menu planning.

Long gone are the days of Pepsi and chips...I've lost my taste and desire for them.

Now, I eat for nutrition...taste is a plus.

Sorry to give you guys the wrong impression but I feel terrific and so blessed.

And yes, I should have lost close to these last 9 pounds in 5-6 weeks. Timing is everything and I've scheduled the first appt I could...this isn't an emergency.

Thanks for your concern and it's wonderful to have so many that are going thru the same kinds of things or where I can learn from others.

Grace, with all due respect, how much could you have learned if you have used virtual starvation as a method of weight loss?

My worry is the fact that from what you have said, you haven't actually eaten without throwing it back up since January. Please think about what this is doing to your health. You said yourself that you are suffering with malnutrition, and low potassium.

Typically, people don't get unfills unless they are overfilled, or cannot stop losing.

I believe you need an unfill. Not for the reasons you think you need one, but rather because you need to eat. You need to fuel your body in an appropriate way.

Thanks, Chickie. I've got the next available appt.

Went 'home' this past week, just got back lastnight...and my family noticed...I didn't tell them about surgery.

We ate...everyone was getting cheeseburgers/fries... I ordered a chicken sandwich and veggies.

They just looked at me... me...the one who used to eat burgers/fries/soda and then order more.

Thanks Lapband!!!

Just though I'd update:

I got the unfill .3ccs....and what a difference it made! I can drink w/o a straw! Before when I drank...too fast evidently...I'd spew. So I went to straws.

Guys, tonight was chicken enchiladas - made myself w/ chicken breasts, salsa, cheese, onion, flour bread and POOF!

lunch was hot dog burgers....but I slimed it up.

Breakfast was a bananna split: banana, strawberry yogurt, grapenuts, fresh blueberries, strawberries, etc.

I've learned a new way to eat without relying on McDonalds!

food is better now than before I was banded.

Guest Band4EJ

Great Job Grace!