Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 6/14/2020 at 6:27 PM, Tracyringo said:

I guess if it isn't your first surgery you may not feel restriction. I had not felt anything until recently when I started eating about 3 oz of firm Protein. Last night I had shrimp and steak stir fry and I finally felt something. Seems like everything else just basically goes right through. Good luck

Ok, that makes more sense. My friend had a revision from lapband to sleeve and says she can eat way more than when she had her lapband. she was having issues with food getting stuck all the time. Definitely seeing how everyone is so so different.

On 6/16/2020 at 1:24 PM, Ashley.Sheridan said:

Ok, that makes more sense. My friend had a revision from lapband to sleeve and says she can eat way more than when she had her lapband. she was having issues with food getting stuck all the time. Definitely seeing how everyone is so so different.

Yes and the problem is that people like me may have been counting on having at LEAST the same restriction we went into having to do a revision. This sadly isn't the case and so confusing to get my head around.

It irritates me even more that I had picked this surgery to begin with and went with the surgeons advice to do the sleeve. Had I done this surgery first I more then likely would not have gotten the erosive esophagitis and I would have the restriction this bypass came with as a virgin surgery. I don't see how people do this as a way to lose regain, I truly don't coming off a sleeve and I understand why the girl who started this post is upset about all the weight she has to try and lose with no restriction. I mean really what is the point ? She is doing it all on her own as far as I am concerned.

29 minutes ago, Tracyringo said:

I don't see how people do this as a way to lose regain, I truly don't coming off a sleeve and I understand why the girl who started this post is upset about all the weight she has to try and lose with no restriction. I mean really what is the point ?

Interesting thought. Maybe that is a reason why revision weight loss is often quite disappointing?

It irritates me even more that I had picked this surgery to begin with and went with the surgeons advice to do the sleeve. Had I done this surgery first I more then likely would not have gotten the erosive esophagitis and I would have the restriction this bypass came with as a virgin surgery.

Have you progressed to really solid "solids"? You need to be patient. I feel like I have about the same restriction I had with the MGB, maybe a bit more 3.5 months out and I guess it will be about the same as before later on.

If progressing to eating really solid "solids" doesn't solve your problem it might be time to incorporate more of less calorie dense foods into your diet. That way you can embrace the feeling of less restriction without gaining weight. It might be helpful to read about the "pound of cure" or watch some of Dr. Weiner's videos about the diet he prescribes his WLS patients.

11 minutes ago, summerset said:

Interesting thought. Maybe that is a reason why revision weight loss is often quite disappointing?

Have you progressed to really solid "solids"? You need to be patient. I feel like I have about the same restriction I had with the MGB, maybe a bit more 3.5 months out and I guess it will be about the same as before later on.

If progressing to eating really solid "solids" doesn't solve your problem it might be time to incorporate more of less calorie dense foods into your diet. That way you can embrace the feeling of less restriction without gaining weight. It might be helpful to read about the "pound of cure" or watch some of Dr. Weiner's videos about the diet he prescribes his WLS patients.

I have eaten solids and I do feel something. I guess my problem is that it is not the same kind of restriction that I am used to. When I ate any foods at all with the sleeve it was the same feeling as if I had a regular sized stomach. I use to joke that it felt like Thanksgiving almost everyday with the sleeve. We are talking a few bites of food and not just Protein. That kind of restriction is what I was expecting.

I will be okay. I have no choice. I just think that it would be a lot easier to gain with this bypass then the sleeve but I suppose if you are a true food addict and don't get yourself under control that either surgery would eventually be a let down and a person would regain.

6 minutes ago, Tracyringo said:

I use to joke that it felt like Thanksgiving almost everyday with the sleeve. We are talking a few bites of food and not just Protein. That kind of restriction is what I was expecting.

Restriction can be different form procedure to procedure. The lapland has a very different kind of restriction. Luckily I prefer the restriction of a bypass. It feels more... "natural".

For the first days I could feel the pressure just below the xiphoid (with both MGB and RNY), then it changed to the feeling of a "full stomach", spreading over the whole epigastric area. I thought of this as very fascinating both times. An interesting adaption of the body to the new situation. Phantom stomach instead of phantom limb.

I will be okay. I have no choice. I just think that it would be a lot easier to gain with this bypass then the sleeve but I suppose if you are a true food addict and don't get yourself under control that either surgery would eventually be a let down and a person would regain.

One can regain with every procedure. Even quite a few DS patients complain about regain.

4 hours ago, Veronica Garza said:

This is me

I am sorry, just know you are not alone.

When did you have your revision ?

On 6/16/2020 at 1:24 PM, Ashley.Sheridan said:

opposite... i could eat more with the band.

On 5/13/2020 at 9:47 AM, ge0rgette2 said:

Thanks - I don't want weight loss - well maybe another 40-50 lbs, but I want this GERD to be gone as well as the Hernia... it's horrendous today, I can't wait for this to maybe be over.

I know the bypass goes thru the intestines, I wanted to do the bypass at first, but decided on the sleeve.. if I knew that I might be acceptable to this horrendous heartburn I would have done it in the beginning.

I agree that’s why I had it done and hernia is gone this was the second one and the gerd is gone thank god is was soo bad

@MIKEYY84 I’ve read all you me comments. My question is have you had a revision? I understand you have the bypass but did you ever have the sleeve first then the bypass? If not trust me it’s much different.

21 minutes ago, Old profile said:

@MIKEYY84 I’ve read all you me comments. My question is have you had a revision? I understand you have the bypass but did you ever have the sleeve first then the bypass? If not trust me it’s much different.

According to his profile he had the Bypass in Oct 2019 as his first surgery. No one can understand this revision stuff unless they have been through it. Wishing you all the best

1 hour ago, Tracyringo said:

No one can understand this revision stuff unless they have been through it.

Yes, it's way different than the first surgery. Especially if you feel "forced" to do it because of e. g. reflux. The excitement of weight loss is completely missing when you're having surgery out of other reasons.

You just feel like like crap for a while and have to deal with the anxiety that the "new surgery" isn't as good as the one you had before. I'm still not convinced that the RNY is as good as the MGB when it comes to maintenance. So far I don't have any real reason to think so but there definitely is this nagging anxiety in some part of my brain I can't get rid of and that maybe will be present for some years. If it will ever go away, who knows.

Edited by summerset