Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

47 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

I was hesitant to reply to this, as I'm wary of the back and forth that will naturally ensue, but I just feel bad for the future newbie who would read this and be possibly led down a less-efficient track...

With that said:

I always feel like the term "starvation mode" is thrown around alot on here and used to explain situations that might not necessarily be 100% true or correct.

The idea that one would NOT lose weight (or even gain weight!) OVER A PERIOD OF TIME at severely restricted calories + exercise with BMI classifying them as OBESE, is a fallacy.

Sure, deceased calories may slow down your metabolic rate (as will inactivity, all over all mass reduction, etc), but it will NOT stop it until you are dead. And long before you get to that point, weight loss will be the least of your worries. Unless one has some serious underlying issue, an OBESE person eating less than NET 600 cals a day over two months WILL LOSE WEIGHT.

Things get a little cloudier/less clear-cut when a person is at normal or under-weight, but that is not the case here.

Further, I think less than NET 600 cals a day, every day, for more than 2 months straight is tough to do so far out of surgery, and I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone other than the "professional" fasters. But that is ultimately up to you.

Google is your friend, educate yourselves.

P.S. Sorry if this post will get some people upset! My intention is not to blame nor point fingers, or otherwise dismiss you. I honestly just want you all to succeed/feel awesome. ❤️

^^^ I totally agree with this. The whole "starvation mode" theory is pretty controversial.

2 hours ago, ms.sss said:

I was hesitant to reply to this, as I'm wary of the back and forth that will naturally ensue, but I just feel bad for the future newbie who would read this and be possibly led down a less-efficient track...

With that said:

I always feel like the term "starvation mode" is thrown around alot on here and used to explain situations that might not necessarily be 100% true or correct.

The idea that one would NOT lose weight (or even gain weight!) OVER A PERIOD OF TIME at severely restricted calories + exercise with BMI classifying them as OBESE, is a fallacy.

Sure, deceased calories may slow down your metabolic rate (as will inactivity, all over all mass reduction, etc), but it will NOT stop it until you are dead. And long before you get to that point, weight loss will be the least of your worries. Unless one has some serious underlying issue, an OBESE person eating less than NET 600 cals a day over two months WILL LOSE WEIGHT.

Things get a little cloudier/less clear-cut when a person is at normal or under-weight, but that is not the case here.

Further, I think less than NET 600 cals a day, every day, for more than 2 months straight is tough to do so far out of surgery, and I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone other than the "professional" fasters. But that is ultimately up to you.

Google is your friend, educate yourselves.

P.S. Sorry if this post will get some people upset! My intention is not to blame nor point fingers, or otherwise dismiss you. I honestly just want you all to succeed/feel awesome. ❤️

It's not tough for me. Since working out I have only being eating OMAD and a Protein Shake. Granted I have stopped doing that over the last week and have been making myself eat and drink throughout the day. I keep busy especially now working from home it's easy for me to get caught up. In addition to the OMAD and Protein I was ding intermittent fasting hoping that would make the scale move as well. I have been on google but its hard when you're so far out of your surgery to get advice which is why I came here. I appreciate your input though.

10 hours ago, Kimyana1 said:

I have been on google but its hard when you're so far out of your surgery to get advice which is why I came here.

It doesn't matter how far you're out of surgery. You have to create a calorie deficit to lose weight. How you're doing this is a preference of yours and possible at any stage. "Honeymoon phase" is scaremongering. The mantra "eat as little as possible to lose weight as fast as possible during the first 6 months because after that it's so much harder or next to impossible to lose more weight" is more harmful than it's doing good for so many patients. Sure, weight loss is fastest during the first few months but please don't think that there is "a window of time when weight loss is possible and after it's closed I'm doomed"!!

Granted, there is not a mechanical problem you should still have restriction so you continue to have that advantage. If you feel that you can eat portions that are "too big", concentrate on lower calorie foods. Vegetables, legumes and fruits first, all of these meats and cheeses etc. are way more calorie dense.

Depending on your personal circumstances and preferences IF can be helpful or not. If you prefer less bigger meals to more smaller meals then IF might be your way to go. If you hate "skipping meals" you're going to hate IF.

Last note: if you're struggling, do something different.

9 hours ago, summerset said:

It doesn't matter how far you're out of surgery. You have to create a calorie deficit to lose weight. How you're doing this is a preference of yours and possible at any stage. "Honeymoon phase" is scaremongering. The mantra "eat as little as possible to lose weight as fast as possible during the first 6 months because after that it's so much harder or next to impossible to lose more weight" is more harmful than it's doing good for so many patients. Sure, weight loss is fastest during the first few months but please don't think that there is "a window of time when weight loss is possible and after it's closed I'm doomed"!!

Granted, there is not a mechanical problem you should still have restriction so you continue to have that advantage. If you feel that you can eat portions that are "too big", concentrate on lower calorie foods. Vegetables, legumes and fruits first, all of these meats and cheeses etc. are way more calorie dense.

Depending on your personal circumstances and preferences IF can be helpful or not. If you prefer less bigger meals to more smaller meals then IF might be your way to go. If you hate "skipping meals" you're going to hate IF.

Last note: if you're struggling, do something different.

I appreciate that. I am definitely going to do something different. Going back to what I was doing before and getting results.

1 hour ago, Kimyana1 said:

I am definitely going to do something different. Going back to what I was doing before and getting results.

But what you were doing before didn't get you the long term results you desire.

So if you're planning to do the same thing as before... did your circumstances/life change in any way? Because that would most likely be the only way to get different results this time with the same approach you already tried and didn't get the desired results with.

58 minutes ago, summerset said:

But what you were doing before didn't get you the long term results you desire.

So if you're planning to do the same thing as before... did your circumstances/life change in any way? Because that would most likely be the only way to get different results this time with the same approach you already tried and didn't get the desired results with.

Well I’m meaning back to the basics before I allowed myself to get back to my normal before surgery. My life changed when I moved to another state away from family and friends. It put me in a depression that caused bad eating behaviors which is how the weight got on.

More cardio, more Water, more Protein. Fewer carbs