Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing my hair! Anyone else, and what can help??

I had a lot of super thick long hair. It started falling out at an alarming rate in month four post op. Like handfuls when I washed it, and them more in the brush. I was sure I was going to be bald if that kept up. I went and bought all kinds of extra Vitamins (a hair skin and nails formula with Biotin in it) B12, collagen, & D. I started taking those after three weeks of increasing scary Hair loss, and it's been a month now I have been taking them. I confess I stopped taking the bariatric Vitamin in month three because it was so foul smelling every time I open the bottle I just wanted to hurl. As soon as my hair started falling out I started taking them again, religiously every day along with all the other vitamins I bought. My hair is no longer falling out by the handful, and seems to have tapered off, but my ponytail holder now wraps around three times instead of two. No bald or obviously thinning spots, but I had super thick hair before which is good because it was seriously falling out at an alarming rate. Not sure if the extra vitamins helped but I will keep taking them just in case and I will take the foul smelling bariatric vitamin every day no matter what because I don't want to be bald.

My Hair loss is not slowing down. If anything, it's increasing. I've been losing for about 6 weeks now. Can anyone tell me how long the hair loss lasted? I am starting to get concerned that I won't have any left if this goes on much longer and I really don't think I'll look good bald! 😭

I am about 12 years out of my surgery but I remember this part well. I was really alarmed, but I was fore-warned. The Vitamin Biotin has become my friend. Its great for hair and nails. It will help (I take 5000 mg/day), but it won't completely fix the problem. It is unfortunately something your body has to go through. It's something to do with it thinking you are starving yourself so it doesn't send nutrients to things like hair and nails. That's what I read anyway. It won't last, so don't despair! My hair came back thick and wavy! Hang in there.

I think mine lasted about three months. Fortunately, I didn't lose all that much.

Mine fell out for a good 6 months. It slowed for a couple of weeks at about 4 months & I was celebrating but then it was as bad as before. I had a heap of hair but lost 50%. Growing back now.

This is somewhat hilarious but I thought none of my hair fell out. I thought it was because I ate a lot of Protein and relatively, a higher number of calories. My hairdresser finally broke it to me that that’s when she told me I was so thin I should try short hair and cut my long hair into a bob. I never even noticed! So what you need is a good hairdresser who is cool and also a good liar.

On 5/3/2020 at 12:27 PM, IAmGrace said:

I'm losing my hair at an alarming rate.

This is very normal! I have long, very curly hair and it was devastating to watch HUGE amounts of hair fall out. I had excess shedding from 2-5 months post-op. I promise you it will slow down eventually. Some people decide to cut their hair short to decrease the amount of shedding that is seen. The longer your hair is, the more dramatic the hair fall looks. Cutting your hair shorter can also make it appear to have more volume.

I shave my head. My Hair loss was already a done deal years ago.

Edit: I'm sure this is not amusing to most of you.

Edited by Dave In Houston