Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 6wks post op now, and this evening after dinner (i had a few bites of a cheese and spinach omelette cooked with low fat cooking spray not oil), i went to the bathroom and it was mostly oil coming out. Last time I experienced this, i was taking Orlistat weight loss pills

I know our digestive tract is completely changed after surgery, but is it normal to be so oily so soon after?

Would it have been what i ate?

I didn't get dumping, no nausea etc. Just went to the bathroom about 2hrs after eating.

Just wondered if anyone else has had the same thing :) Thanks xx

11 hours ago, Sabs211 said:

I know our digestive tract is completely changed after surgery, but is it normal to be so oily so soon after?

Yes, you ate too much fat in relation to the volume of food.

I had it with MGB, now also have it after RNY. It's when I eat too much oil/fat in relation to food volume. Doesn't happen too often because overly heavy foods (usually the high fat/high Protein stuff) don't sit well with me. I get a stomach ache then.

5 hours ago, summerset said:

Yes, you ate too much fat in relation to the volume of food.

What would have been the fatty part in an omelette? The cheese? Should i try egg whites only?

15 minutes ago, summerset said:

Most likely the cheese.

Ah ok. I'll try without :)

Give it a try. If you really like the cheese in the omelette you could also try upping the amount of spinach, not using cooking spray or eating something other non-fat with the meal (though I guess that's a problem only a few weeks out because of very limited space in the pouch).

23 hours ago, Sabs211 said:

I'm 6wks post op now, and this evening after dinner (i had a few bites of a cheese and spinach omelette cooked with low fat cooking spray not oil), i went to the bathroom and it was mostly oil coming out. Last time I experienced this, i was taking Orlistat weight loss pills

I didn't get dumping, no nausea etc. Just went to the bathroom about 2hrs after eating.

Hello @Sabs211, Be careful with the cooking spray, as it is still oil. Honestly you might be getting even more fat/oil with the spray vs allowing your pan to heat up and swabbing the pan with a stick of butter (only so you can visibly see a glisten not enough to actually see the butter bubble up, hope that makes sense) better yet use a non-stick pan or cook with a tablespoon or so of Water no spray, no butter, just a bit of water. Do you have cheese at any other time with other meals? You are not too far from the date of your surgery, there are certain things that might take a longer time before it can get introduced back into your diet.

I did have this problem and I just gave my body more time once I realized that it still could not handle certain things. It has been almost a year for me and there are times that certain foods are not an issue and then they are again. It is really trial, error, elimination, time, trial again, when it comes to any type of food after WLS. But do research cooking sprays and their misconceptions, check the nutrition label, no sprays for 1/4th of a second or whatever its recommendation is. Good luck!🙂

39 minutes ago, TisTrue said:

Hello @Sabs211, Be careful with the cooking spray, as it is still oil. Honestly you might be getting even more fat/oil with the spray vs allowing your pan to heat up and swabbing the pan with a stick of butter (only so you can visibly see a glisten not enough to actually see the butter bubble up, hope that makes sense) better yet use a non-stick pan or cook with a tablespoon or so of Water no spray, no butter, just a bit of Water. Do you have cheese at any other time with other meals? You are not too far from the date of your surgery, there are certain things that might take a longer time before it can get introduced back into your diet.

I did have this problem and I just gave my body more time once I realized that it still could not handle certain things. It has been almost a year for me and there are times that certain foods are not an issue and then they are again. It is really trial, error, elimination, time, trial again, when it comes to any type of food after WLS. But do research cooking sprays and their misconceptions, check the nutrition label, no sprays for 1/4th of a second or whatever its recommendation is. Good luck!🙂

I'm usually fine on cheese, i have string cheese as a snack :)

i never thought to use water. I thought my pan was non stick... at least it was supposed to be 🤣 trust broken 🤣🤣