Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill

does your port ever hurt? I sleep on my stomach and can't. Getting in and out of a car can be uncomfortable. Stretching, I can feel a pull. Any advice?:)

Hi NYgirl. When did you get your surgery done? Mine was uncomfortable sleeping until at least 1 month out. Now if I sleep on my stomach I still need a pillow because it pokes my ribs a bit if I don't (don't know how that makes any sense, but the pillow does help), but if I sleep on my side I don't need the extra pillow anymore. So in other words, it got better with time.

So, I'm back from my first fill. It's wasn't bad at all. It didn't hurt and I was in and out really quick. I go back 1/9 for another if needed. I have to be on liquids for 24 hours and then I can resume normal eating. I am feeling a little neuseated right now. Have any of you felt that way after a fill?

I'm so glad yours didn't hurt! Mine did a little. I wasn't nauseated though.

Had my first fill today. It went really well. The doctor put 1 cc of Fluid in the band, I have a standard AP four ounce band. Did anyone feel an immediate difference in their band with the first filling? I can't tell the difference in mine.

:help:

By the way how do you get those neat weight loss trackers on your posts? Is it part of a signature line you created and if it is how do I create one?

Thank you.

Cassandra, I didn't feel a bit of difference with my first fill either!

Once you get that weight loss tracker, you'll be totally addicted to changing it every time you lose - I'm just warning you now! haha

Glad I could help!
:humble: I am having my first fill on December 19th and I am excited but I also am having my job's holiday dinner two days after my fill :hungry: so I am a little anxious about that, it will be my first time eatting in a resturant since surgery.
I'm in the same boat! My first fill is likely tomorrow (depending on what we decide) and my mother's 75th birthday party is Saturday. I'm almost tempted not to get one, not knowing how I'm going to react and I don't really want to be on liquid for the party, just because it can be a hassle and I don't to call attention to myself at my mother's event. I guess I'll talk to my doctor and see what he thinks. Good luck with yours!

Hi there. I had my first fill on Wed and that was the same day as my work xmas party and then we had a xmas lunch the next day. I had no problem with food or drinks. Mind you, my fill was conservative, 2 mls in a 10 ml band. I was told it was okay to eat, as long as it was soft food.< /p>

Thanks for sharing, Sades! Since my doctor is conservative, too, I'm sure he'll give me something I can handle. My family all knows about my surgery so I'm not trying to hide anything but this is the first time most of them will see me and I'd like to look as "normal" as possible just to avoid a night of answering questions. :scared:

Thanks for sharing, Sades! Since my doctor is conservative, too, I'm sure he'll give me something I can handle. My family all knows about my surgery so I'm not trying to hide anything but this is the first time most of them will see me and I'd like to look as "normal" as possible just to avoid a night of answering questions. :scared:

I can understand that Longhorn. Everyone knows about me as well but I still don't want to be bombarded by all and sundry.

That's something I'm dreading too as we'll return home for Christmas. Some people there know, but not everyone. But everyone there knows how I USED to eat, so I'm sure they'll be wondering what the heck is going on.

my first fill is not untill jan 8th. I am not too worried, even though I have no restriction I am still nervous about eating. I still eat off a sandwich plate, drink Water inbetween meals....etc.

Good luck to all of you....:)

I need to know something. I just had my first fill today. It was not too bad. He numbed me up, took a little while to find the port, found it, and filled it with 2cc. He had me sip on some Water. That went down fine. I went back to work and a few hours later I had about 1/4 cup of salad. I noticed a little bit of a restriction. 4 hours later I had another 1/2 cup of salad with grilled chicken. I did not have any problems, nor do I feel this major restriction. Is this common, will I start to fill something later?

Thanks,

Yvette

I had my first fill today as well. It couldn't have been easier! I was laying on my back and Dr. Ganta had me raise my feet and lower legs to tense my abdomen so that he could locate my port. He then gave me a couple of injections of lidocaine, which I could barely feel, and then injected the syringe into the port, first try. I already had 1 cc in the 10 cc band and then he added three ccs, taking me to four, total. He didn't have me drink anything. He said one day of liquids and then back to normal food (I'm still on soft foods.) This will be fine for my mother's party tomorrow.

He said that I probably won't notice much difference on this fill. I go in again in five weeks (maybe four if there's a cancellation) for the next check-up.

I had my first fill today as well. It couldn't have been easier! I was laying on my back and Dr. Ganta had me raise my feet and lower legs to tense my abdomen so that he could locate my port. He then gave me a couple of injections of lidocaine, which I could barely feel, and then injected the syringe into the port, first try. I already had 1 cc in the 10 cc band and then he added three ccs, taking me to four, total. He didn't have me drink anything. He said one day of liquids and then back to normal food (I'm still on soft foods.) This will be fine for my mother's party tomorrow.

He said that I probably won't notice much difference on this fill. I go in again in five weeks (maybe four if there's a cancellation) for the next check-up.

Longhorn, I'm starting to hate you!:) No bandster hell, no pain with injections. Sheesh!! :Banane20:

i get my first fill tuesday. wed is my company quarterly awards ceremony at chiefs stadium, so i definatly wont be able to eat much. i have been sitting here for 4 weeks wondering what capacity my band was, cuz i didnt ask. just now as i started to type this i noticed the little card that was in my take home bag, and i just now read the tiny print and learned i have a 4cc band.

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on in awhile. I lost quickly the first 2 weeks but as soon as I went to mushies the weight loss just about stopped! I'm hungry and can eat almost as much as before. I get my first fill 12/17 and can't wait. I'm hoping I can get this going again as I'm losing my motivation.

Can someone tell me why some people have 10cc bands and others have 4cc? I just checked my card and I have a 4cc. Does that mean I can never have more than 4cc filled? Will I be as restricted as someone with a 10cc? I should have asked my doctor but I really don't know the difference. I also need to start attending the support group meetings and visiting this board for motivation.

Longhorn, I'm starting to hate you!:Banane20: No bandster hell, no pain with injections. Sheesh!! :Banane20:

But you've also lost nearly twice as much as me so it all evens out! :)

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on in awhile. I lost quickly the first 2 weeks but as soon as I went to mushies the weight loss just about stopped! I'm hungry and can eat almost as much as before. I get my first fill 12/17 and can't wait. I'm hoping I can get this going again as I'm losing my motivation.

Can someone tell me why some people have 10cc bands and others have 4cc? I just checked my card and I have a 4cc. Does that mean I can never have more than 4cc filled? Will I be as restricted as someone with a 10cc? I should have asked my doctor but I really don't know the difference. I also need to start attending the support group meetings and visiting this board for motivation.

There are different versions of bands. The AP bands come in 10 cc and 14 cc and have little "pillows" all the way around and it takes more saline to fill them but it doesn't mean there is more restriction -- it's just done differently. Just think of it this way: 3 out of 4 is equal to 7.5 out of 10 (I can't help it -- I'm a math teacher! :) )

Good luck, Monday!