Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Three weeks in. Started soft diet this week. Concentrating on Protein and fluids. Started colace. And resorted to milk of magnesia today. Any tips on keeping things moving along and not getting backed up? I had gastric bypass surgery on March 3.

I’ve used Miralax and probiotic prunes. That has worked for me when I needed it. Hope it all works out soon. 😃 Seriously though, hope you feel better soon. I had gastric sleeve surgery on March 3rd. ❤️

It was tough for me at that point as well and it’s gotten better now that I have progressed to soft foods. Have you tried Decaf coffee with sugar free Creamer? That seemed to help.

chronic Constipation is pretty common in people who've had RNY or the sleeve. I know a lot of us (myself included) who take a capful of Miralax every day. Others take things like stool softeners (like Colace), magnesium tablets, prunes, Smooth Move tea, whatever works! Even with the Miralax, I still get backed up once or twice a month. When I do, a night or two of Milk of Magnesia will usually get things moving again.

I'd say be careful with anything laxative. One gets used to this stuff pretty quick. Wean yourself off as soon as possible.

Eat enough Fiber, move enough and drink enough - but please don't get dependent on laxatives. 😕

14 hours ago, kathleen0909 said:

Three weeks in. Started soft diet this week. Concentrating on Protein and fluids. Started colace. And resorted to milk of magnesia today. Any tips on keeping things moving along and not getting backed up? I had gastric bypass surgery on March 3.

OMG - We are surgery twins and this week has been horrible for me - I've spent the last 3 days in a lot of pain because of Constipation. I couldn't even leave the house. I've used up the few laxatives I had remaining, went back to liquids, and now have a big order of more laxatives, soluble fibre, and more to help me get through this. Luckily my classes have been postponed or are online until the end of April, so I don't need to worry about having issues during the day at work (because trust me, once something starts moving back there, I need to get to a toilet right quick! 😞😉). I finally was able to pass most of what was in there out yesterday and today, and the weight that I "gained" since the weekend is now gone. I know more fibre will help, but at the same time even though I'm on soft foods now I am limited by what I can add that has enough fibre in it. I'll have to be much more vigilant from now on.

4 minutes ago, summerset said:

I'd say be careful with anything laxative. One gets used to this stuff pretty quick. Wean yourself off as soon as possible.

Eat enough Fiber, move enough and drink enough - but please don't get dependent on laxatives. 😕

I've never been a fan of laxatives, or needed to use them, since for at least a decade before my sleeve I suffered from ulcerative colitis where the opposite problem was a daily fact for me. In fact, only got them because it was suggested after my first surgery, so even though they were expired I still used them. I have some Smooth Move tea which I found buried in my pantry (also bought after sleeve surgery) - I think that did a lot more than the ex-lax. In any event, I'm hoping that my diet (with fibre) will be enough to keep me regular, but I want the laxatives as a backup, because I never want to go through what I just went through the past three days! (seriously, I have no idea what the neighbours think was happening here, but even I was scared by the sounds I was making!)

17 minutes ago, summerset said:

actually, my doctor said Miralax (you may call it something else in Germany) is non-addictive and safe to take regularly.

I just checked. It's Bellymed in Germany. Of course, the OP should check with her doctor first, but mine said it was safe to take every day.

Edited by catwoman7

Thanks everyone! I finally got things moving along. I know I have to concentrate on Protein first but I also know the importance of some roughage. Last night I added some wilted spinach which I tolerated well. I do not want to use too many laxatives so I’m going to be quite careful on that front. I am going to add colace daily and Smooth Move tea really helped me. I’ve always been a coffee drinker which kept things moving along. I miss a nice cup of coffee. Tea just isn’t the same lol. Thank you again for your advice. It’s nice to know there are others out there going through the same journey. 👍💨💩

4 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

actually, my doctor said Miralax (you may call it something else in Germany) is non-addictive and safe to take regularly.

Fiber and drinking more doesn't work then? Bummer.

9 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

I saw a video on this. They added prunes in smoothies, Beans can be eaten on soft, so can banana if one can eat it. Prunes and bananas might be to sugary atm, but Beans and perhaps nuts can be eaten. Also dark veggies in smoothies etc.

Also, to all of you, I admire those of you that can go weeks without going (it is actually kind of dangerous, so please seek medical help if nothing happens the first week. This is actually an acute situation, so were medical resources are low, this will go higher up in the food chain because you can have critical situations if poo gets a leak). I went from monday day before surgery to friday same week, and I couldn't cope with it. When I went it was some of the best feeling in the world. I used an enema though.

I can't imagine not going for 5 days straight! After a day and a half of no movement I'm feeling it. If things hadn't finally moved on as they did today, I would have gone to the hospital for some help. I do have to admit though, once it's (ALL) finally out, it feels sooooo good! 💩😀

6 minutes ago, summerset said:

Fiber and drinking more doesn't work then? Bummer.

for me, no. But then, I had Constipation issues even BEFORE having RNY - it's just made it worse.

11 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

Dr Kaur said I probably would not go until thursday or friday, my op was on tuesday, so I didn't bother to make an issue of it. But I must admit, that it feelt like it played some peekaboo back there for around a day 😂

I hadn't been able to go the full day before surgery, or the day of surgery, or the first day post-op. So by the second day post-op I asked Dr. Kaur for an enema which he happily handed over and that helped a lot (for some reason the nurses were reluctant to do anything with my request for one). At that time I wasn't so worried about the Constipation, but the fact that I might have to push so hard that I would actually open up some wounds!

@CammyC what is a probiotic prune?