Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all. It has been a while since I have posted on the forum. In 2004 I got a Lap-Band put in. It lasted about ten years until complications forced me to get it removed. After that, due to scar tissue fusing my liver and diaphragm to my stomach, I had managed to retain most of the weight loss, but four or so years ago, something changed, and I slowly gained all my weight back.

So this year, 2/25/2020, I got the Gastric Sleeve surgery. I am 12 days post-op. My doctor has me on a chopped diet of meats and cooked veggies, cottage cheese, and boiled eggs (and other stuff).

My question is, how do I intake 90 grams of Protein per day that the dietician said I should have for my height? I am struggling to eat often enough as it is, being without much of an appetite, and other than craving something crunchy (and salt, for some reason, I am craving a lot of salt), I can't see a way of obtaining that much protein every day.

Right now, I take Protein Powder (flavorless) and mix it with a cup of coffee in the morning, which is around 25g. Then I drink two Premier Protein Clear, which is another 40g. A boiled egg and maybe a small portion of cottage cheese with a tiny bit of canned chicken, 10+/- 5 grams, and by that time, the day is over, and I am struggling to think of something else.

I was hoping for some creative ideas I can try and incorporate to manage muscle loss on this adventure.

I have lost 30.60lbs

Edited by Mitchell

Wow I’m impressed with your diet. I’m 9 days out and still need to be on liquids another week. I cannot drink the Protein Drinks at all they sicken me. You seem to be doing great. I’d say keep working up to it and get your fluids. Sorry I’m not really helping but I’m so impressed by what your already doing

Wow 90 grams is a lot! Can you stand having the Premier flavored drinks? They are 30 G each. Also, I drink Bone Broth, Swanson, and that has Protein and counts toward your Clear Liquids. I have been making a little omelet for breakfast; 1 egg, 3 tablespoons of egg beaters and 1 tbl. shredded low fat cheddar; 23 G.

Also, I am amazed, and jealous, that you get to have coffee!

Good luck!

The bone broths are good choices but try and make Protein pudding just add a scope to the pudding mix, My brother gets Peanut Butter protein with butterscotch pudding and adds 4 scoops per little box.

Google how much Protein you can absorb at once. I can't remember but I think it is 20 or 25 so loading up on 40g at once won't be as helpful as spreading it out. I hate Protein Shakes but I like Fairlife milk, it is high protein (11g per measuring cup) and low sugar. And you can add a bit of flavorless protein powder to bring it up to 20g. That's the only way I am able to get mine in.

21 hours ago, Mitchell said:

Hi all. It has been a while since I have posted on the forum. In 2004 I got a Lap-Band put in. It lasted about ten years until complications forced me to get it removed. After that, due to scar tissue fusing my liver and diaphragm to my stomach, I had managed to retain most of the weight loss, but four or so years ago, something changed, and I slowly gained all my weight back.

So this year, 2/25/2020, I got the Gastric Sleeve surgery. I am 12 days post-op. My doctor has me on a chopped diet of meats and cooked veggies, cottage cheese, and boiled eggs (and other stuff).

My question is, how do I intake 90 grams of Protein per day that the dietician said I should have for my height? I am struggling to eat often enough as it is, being without much of an appetite, and other than craving something crunchy (and salt, for some reason, I am craving a lot of salt), I can't see a way of obtaining that much Protein every day.

Right now, I take Protein Powder (flavorless) and mix it with a cup of coffee in the morning, which is around 25g. Then I drink two Premier Protein Clear, which is another 40g. A boiled egg and maybe a small portion of cottage cheese with a tiny bit of canned chicken, 10+/- 5 grams, and by that time, the day is over, and I am struggling to think of something else.

I was hoping for some creative ideas I can try and incorporate to manage muscle loss on this adventure.

I have lost 30.60lbs

I'm 5 weeks out and I still use GENEPRO protein powder at least once a day. It's a tiny scoop of flavorless, fully dissolvable protein. I put it in Water and mix it with some crystal light drops. One scoop is 30g. I will also mix it into other recipes (you can bake with it up to 400 degrees). So when I make ricotta bites I add a scoop or two. It helps just boost all the things I eat with extra protein.

2 hours ago, Sweettoothless said:

Google how much Protein you can absorb at once. I can't remember but I think it is 20 or 25 so loading up on 40g at once won't be as helpful as spreading it out.

That's actually a myth. You body will utilize all the Protein that it takes in over time. The part that people stick to is that it can only absorb so much in a time span. See the linked study on optimal anabolic response:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5828430/

1 hour ago, slsvacha said:

I'm 5 weeks out and I still use GENEPRO Protein Powder at least once a day. It's a tiny scoop of flavorless, fully dissolvable protein. I put it in Water and mix it with some crystal light drops. One scoop is 30g.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but GENEPRO is junk protein powder whose owner was sued for faulty claims. If you read the fine print, it should say something along the lines that it is a magically fast absorbing protein that is equivalent to 30 grams of protein. It's bunk. Do a search on this forum for GENEPRO and you will find some really angry people who got suckered.

Wow I’m impressed with your diet. I’m 9 days out and still need to be on liquids another week. I cannot drink the Protein drinks at all they sicken me. You seem to be doing great. I’d say keep working up to it and get your fluids. Sorry I’m not really helping but I’m so impressed by what your already doing

I believe these powders are not good either because my body is doing so well over all until I eat some of the stuff. Then my stomach is sick and I’m having diarrhea. What good is it to drink it if it’s going to come right out the other end. Sorry tmi. But there has to be a better way

I was surprised as well. My list from my doctor is:

1. Clear liquid diet in hospital (day of surgery + next day)
  2. Full liquid Diet, 1-day post-op - 1-week post-op.
  3. Chopped Diet, 1-week post-op - 1-month post-op.
  • Avoid foods with more than 2gm sugar alcohol
  • 8 cups of Fluid between meals
  • Take multi-vitamins
  • Exercise - No lifting over 10lbs first eight weeks after surgery.

I do have the Premier Protein shakes, which I liked before the surgery, but after the only one I can tolerate is the chocolate one. I do like the clear one, but it is only 20g, but it also counts as a liquid, so that is a win-win.

I was all prepared with caffeine-free coffee and everything, but I was told coffee is fine, so happy dance. I do like seaweed, so I am going to get some of those for Snacks and just add Protein powders to everything I can since 92 grams seems like a lot.

Edited by Mitchell