Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 4, things seem so easy, now I'm worried

Today is day 4, so I got to start on my Protein Shakes and Soups. Today was so much easier compared to say 1, every day has gotten better and better. It sounds silly but now I'm worried it will be too easy and not work. Has anyone else felt this way?

Congratulations! I'm on day three post-op and was wondering the same thing. I'm able to meet my Protein and Water intake goals. I've actually wondered if my surgeon performed the correct surgery (even checked my surgical notes to be sure). I've read that things change once we transition to regular foods in that we will be able to feel ful.

Another March3rd-er (?) having an easy time of it. Since day 1 post op they given me Vitamin Water and a small yogurt drink to take in addition to water, and yesterday (day 3), I had some cottage cheese (considered a purée here - OMG in Estonia they must love it because the dairy case seems to have more cottage cheese options than yogurt ones), and baby food (the kind that come in the squeezable soft packs). It’s weird to me that both of these foods (in addition to other purées) were recommended to me, since that wasn’t the case when I had my first surgery in Mexico. In any event, since I’m living out of a hotel until next week I don’t have a lot of options food wise.

Long story short, I’m doing well getting my liquids in, ok with the Protein, and the purées didn’t cause any issues. If I hadn’t gone through this before, I’d be worried, but as it is I’m feeling great. The first time I did this (sleeve in 2017j, I was the only one in the hospital with little to no pain, was walking around at least 4 hours a day, and I actually accused my surgeon of not having done the surgery despite the scars and drainage tube coming out of my body. She told me that some people are just lucky, they go through surgery and the post op period without any problems and that I should be thankful for it. She even showed me a picture of my excised stomach to prove it. My current surgeon told me that he did check out my sleeve before he made it even smaller for the RNY and told me it was perfect, so whatever doubts I had in my mind for the past three years were put to rest.

The one thing I do know is that transitioning to soft or mushy foods will be, not necessarily problematic, but that we’ll feel it more. That’s why I’m focusing on maintaining good habits (weigh or measure food, no drinking 30 min before and after any food), since I think that’s one of the main reasons my sleeve failed the first time.

I'm jealous lol I'm six weeks out of my surgery and I still struggle with my Fluid intake. I'm barely able to meet the 48 oz minimum and 64 oz is just so... daunting. I guess I'm the odd one that feels full when I drink. I was in the hospital for three days for the simple reason that they couldn't get me to drink enough and yet at my one week check-up after my surgery they still gave me a 9/10 score, which is apparently really good. But as to your worry... every day does get just a little bit better and easier. I'm finding it easier to get that fluid in as for the first month I struggled to get in 32 oz and now I've worked up to 48 so maybe eventually I'll be able to get to that preferred 64. I suggest though that if you have any questions that you bring it up with the doctor at your one week check up!

it won't be easy, especially after your hunger returns. And yes, if you stick to the program, it will work.

On 3/6/2020 at 9:51 PM, Katheryn0303 said:

Today is day 4, so I got to start on my Protein Shakes and Soups. Today was so much easier compared to say 1, every day has gotten better and better. It sounds silly but now I'm worried it will be too easy and not work. Has anyone else felt this way?

I'm entering week 5 post-op, and I had a pretty easy go at first too. I couldn't drink more than about 30oz of Fluid in the first week, so I did get an infusion of fluids about a week post-surgery. It took me until week 3 to get a full 64oz of fluid and 60+g of Protein per day. Since then, I have had no issues. I did hit a stall last week - that was depressing, but since then have lost a few more pounds (the people in the forums were right!). As long as you follow the diet and introduce things like they say - it should work!

It was super easy for me immediately after surgery too. I could drink my fluids and walk with no issues and no pain. Don't worry, the difficulty will come lol.

I March 3rd and by day 3 post op I felt so much better and was easily drinking Water, Protein and broth and posted the same kind of thing in here. I started googling is my pouch too big? Did the surgery not work? Lol! My friend provided me this advice: remain calm and have confidence that the surgery was successful. I’m day 6 now and I feel good too. I overdid it on day 4 way to much walking and up doing chores around the house so yes, my body had asked me to slow it down again and rest. So happy to hear you all are recovering well too!

I walked over 20,000 steps yesterday and felt good until the early afternoon when it was clear I should probably rest a bit. But the first week is done! I can’t wait to get home so I can eat properly and check the scale. I’m in Paris at the moment, and it’s hard to find Protein based foods that I can eat/drink that aren’t extremely high in sugar or fat. I’ve been making do with Soups and yogurt, plus my own protein drink and Water.