Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling with preop diet

Hi, just finished day 4 of my pre-op diet. I do great during the day sticking with the shakes and Water, by the time dinner is here I am starving!! Doing my absolute best to not cheat, being hungry at night is so hard. Any tips?

I have a hell of a time trying to go to sleep when my stomach is growling at me. Water will help, but also timing your meals can be really helpful as well!

I am not sure what your pre-op diet consists of, but I currently eat roughly 600 calories a day, focusing on Protein. For instance, when I get up, I go as long as possible without eating, then I have a Protein Shake. Roughly 4-5 hours later, I have a can of tuna with mayo & Sriracha. After that is highly dependent on when I plan on going to sleep. If my husband and I decide to stay up and watch our shows, I like to snack, so I've pushed my last meal towards that time (which is roughly 200g of fat-free yogurt) so I don't feel like I am going without and so that I don't feel hungry before bed.

Two things i suggest

1. Make your own broth or base - Make it strong and sip it from 5-bed- That will fill you up

2. Vodka and Wine are liquids! (Ok bring it on girls i know you are going to jump on me for this one) - But vodka definalty helped me thru days 5-7 -

3. You can nutra bullet a Clear Soup like japannese clear soup - Sold at any Japan food place -

https://www.aspicyperspective.com/japanese-clear-soup-recipe/

Edited by AJ Tylo

I don't know what your pre-op diet is like, but I was allowed 4-5 Protein Shakes a day, as many ultra-low-calorie (and no-calorie) beverages I wanted, as much sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles I wanted, and a limited amount of chicken broth and Tomato juice/V8 (I think a cup or two of each).

the things from this list that filled me up the most (ha!) were the Jello, the chicken broth, and the tomato juice/V8 (because of the sodium). And the Protein shakes, of course. So maybe (if you can, that is...) re-arrange your eating a little so you're getting more of those in the evening when you're hungrier? Although I know even that isn't a huge help - I was pretty hungry the whole time. Although it did get easier after the first three or four days. I remember eating sugar free Jello with abandon, though, since it was the only thing I could have that resembled real food. I'd make a box of it and eat the whole thing some nights. Otherwise, just hang in there - it will soon be over!

It only gets easier from here so just stick with the plan. The first most after surgery is a breeze and the weight will be falling of so you will be motivated to keep going.

Hang in there!!! The pre-op diet isn't part of a torture plan, or to test your willpower, it's designed to shrink your liver. I only say that, b/c it helped when my dr told me that, as I assumed it was a willpower test!

sugar free ice pops were me pre and post surgery treat!! Sugar free Water ice too!

I stuck to the diet, and I have no willpower! LOL!! If I can do it, you can do it!!

I am still on my pre-op diet as well (day 11 of 14). It's liquid only, and let me tell ya - it's been hard! But I have learned a few tricks.

As far as you being hungry at night, try something with high Protein in it that's a little thicker. My personal favorite is either carnation instant Breakfast high protein with nonfat milk, OR glucerna hunger smart (my favorite is the chocolate one).

It's definitely not easy, and a cheeseburger sounds great right now! But I know it's better in the long run.

Good luck 👍

3 hours ago, AJ Tylo said:

Two things i suggest

1. Make your own broth or base - Make it strong and sip it from 5-bed- That will fill you up

2. Vodka and Wine are liquids! (Ok bring it on girls i know you are going to jump on me for this one) - But vodka definalty helped me thru days 5-7 -

3. You can nutra bullet a Clear Soup like japannese clear Soup - Sold at any Japan food place -

https://www.aspicyperspective.com/japanese-clear-soup-recipe/

Where is your sponsor ?!?! Joking Joking Joking 😉

Something my nutritionist suggested to me was waiting as long as I could to eat breakfast. It's easier to ignore hunger in the morning than it is to ignore at night when you've got nothing to do. You just go as long as you can until you can't, and then just keep on trucking as best you can.

You got this- you'll get through it. The pre-surgery diet is honestly the hardest part of the whole process. Hang in there.

I love all of these ideas. These are very helpful. My favorite thing right now is chai with vanilla Premier Protein as Creamer. It is delicious. If it is night time try the Decaf chai.

Thank you all for the wonderful answers and support!! I'm so shocked and blessed with all the support! Thank you again, this has motivated me and made me feel like I can do this!

I'm struggling to! In fact i actually visited the forums today looking for advice for this part I started mine on feb 17th so we're pretty much at the same place. I've had people tell me that after the first week it gets easier. Hang in there! If you need someone to talk to feel free to message me. My surgery is actually the day before yours.

Edited by skyewolfe

On 2/21/2020 at 7:51 PM, Katheryn0303 said:

Thank you all for the wonderful answers and support!! I'm so shocked and blessed with all the support! Thank you again, this has motivated me and made me feel like I can do this!

How are you doing on your liquid diet now? I hope you're not struggling anymore. I have one and a half days left before surgery and now I'm trying to force myself to drink. lol