Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is weight loss surgery for me?

I've exercised periodically throughout my life and never lost weight. I haven't tried very many diets -- just cutting back on what I eat and eating healthier. I did try Weight Watchers twice. No matter how I eat, I can't keep off the excess weight.

I'm wondering if I'm taking the easy way out by wanting surgery. It won't be easy, actually, because I'll still need to change what I eat and exercise. However, won't surgery be a tool in helping me lose and keep off the weight?

I feel kind of weak and pathetic because I haven't had enough willpower to lose and keep off weight. Will people think this if they learn I had surgery?

almost five years out here. It is NOT the easy way out. The first few months aren't too, too difficult because most people lose their hunger for a few months, but for most of us, hunger eventually comes roaring back - and then things get a lot more challenging. And maintaining your weight loss is TOUGH - as tough as it was before surgery. It's just a tool that works as a strong tail wind to help you to drop a lot of weight quickly. But once you're there, it's a lot of work to keep it off.

if you don't want people to know you had the surgery, then don't tell them. They have no right to know your medical history. I hardly told anyone - just my family and my close friends.

and willpower is a myth. You are constantly fighting biology when you're trying to lose weight. Your hormones - your gut bacteria - everything is working against you. Only 5% of people manage to do it because you are fighting your body every step of the way. Luckily, surgery resets a lot of that, so it won't be as much of a struggle to lose it. It does make things easier - at least for losing it (as I mentioned, maintenance is really tough - I work at it ALL THE TIME). But even with losing, it takes work on your part, too. You have to be very committed to your program.

WLS is an amazing tool to reset your metabolism, tame the hunger hormones, forcibly restrict the volume you eat, and help you feel full with very little food. People lose a lot of weight, quickly. But like the previous poster said, it is only a tool and you must put in the hard work of changing your lifestyle and eating habits. But the surgery helps you do that if you are motivated. Someone can certainly gain every pound back if they do not change their habits and mind set. For me, I AM NEVER GOING BACK! I have a whole new life now and I wouldn't risk it for anything.

PS: I didn't tell anyone except my immediate family. I did not even tell my parents. I am just too vulnerable emotionally and I feel like people would be judging me for "taking the easy way out." My medical history is no one else's business.

Edited by AZhiker

7 hours ago, imaginegirl said:

I've exercised periodically throughout my life and never lost weight. I haven't tried very many diets -- just cutting back on what I eat and eating healthier. I did try Weight Watchers twice. No matter how I eat, I can't keep off the excess weight.

I'm wondering if I'm taking the easy way out by wanting surgery. It won't be easy, actually, because I'll still need to change what I eat and exercise. However, won't surgery be a tool in helping me lose and keep off the weight?

I feel kind of weak and pathetic because I haven't had enough willpower to lose and keep off weight. Will people think this if they learn I had surgery?

If you choose the bypass or DS it will redirect your intestines and reset and change your metabolism its not just about the volume of food.

There's a ton of research about the metabolic changes..

11 hours ago, imaginegirl said:

however, won't surgery be a tool in helping me lose and keep off the weight?

You nailed it ............ It is a tool and you have to have the whole workshop in order. It is not easy at all. Nobody here is going to say, wow i just got the surgery and still ate like the fat obese animal i was and the weight just fell off. However if you use this tool right it will be the best decision you ever made.

The issue is not the volume of food. For example i ate 3 Cookies yesterday, PreOp i would have eaten the whole bag, I run on about 800 calories a day, Pre op It would be safe to assume i was 3000 plus a day. All the surgery will do is enable you to follow a set of guidelines that will get you healthy and fit,

10 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

almost five years out here. It is NOT the easy way out. The first few months aren't too, too difficult because most people lose their hunger for a few months, but for most of us, hunger eventually comes roaring back - and then things get a lot more challenging. And maintaining your weight loss is TOUGH - as tough as it was before surgery. It's just a tool that works as a strong tail wind to help you to drop a lot of weight quickly. But once you're there, it's a lot of work to keep it off.

if you don't want people to know you had the surgery, then don't tell them. They have no right to know your medical history. I hardly told anyone - just my family and my close friends.

and willpower is a myth. You are constantly fighting biology when you're trying to lose weight. Your hormones - your gut bacteria - everything is working against you. Only 5% of people manage to do it because you are fighting your body every step of the way. Luckily, surgery resets a lot of that, so it won't be as much of a struggle to lose it. It does make things easier - at least for losing it (as I mentioned, maintenance is really tough - I work at it ALL THE TIME). But even with losing, it takes work on your part, too. You have to be very committed to your program.

You hit the nail on the head. Great post.

The above posters have beautifully provided insight into how amazing WLS is as a tool (so I will not address that idea)

However I am interested in your statement about taking the easy way out (presumably versus working harder). There seems to be an obsession in our society with the concept of hard work reaping greater rewards / working harder is better.

I cannot help but wonder where that viewpoint originated since most advancements in humanity were based on technological advancements (working smarter) making life easier.

Linked is a Medium article i enjoyed that addresses this idea and can be applied to many aspects of life including WLS.

https://medium.com/@tomnew/nothing-is-impossible-if-you-work-hard-enough-bullshit-4fdf4d83937d

15 hours ago, imaginegirl said:

Please, please, please read "The Obesity Code" by Jason Fung. It will help you understand why you are overweight and why you can't lose it and keep it off. It is not your fault at this point - you are fighting your biology. Yes, yo-yo dieting can really screw things up by lowering your set point, and hijacking the stomach-brain hormones. We do that to ourselves in our desperate attempts to lose weight. Dr. Fung's book will release you from the guilt and help you understand what is really going on. If you COULD have done in on your own, you WOULD have by now. WLS gives you a metabolic "reset" and a jump start.

21 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I've tried losing weight by willpower, and you're right, it doesn't work long-term. I'm glad the surgery makes losing weight and maintenance a little easier. I'm willing to exercise and eat better. My sister and mom have had the band surgery, and I've seen what they've had to do to keep off the weight. I think I'm ready to do that.

8 hours ago, AZhiker said:

Please, please, please read "The Obesity Code" by Jason Fung. It will help you understand why you are overweight and why you can't lose it and keep it off. It is not your fault at this point - you are fighting your biology. Yes, yo-yo dieting can really screw things up by lowering your set point, and hijacking the stomach-brain hormones. We do that to ourselves in our desperate attempts to lose weight. Dr. Fung's book will release you from the guilt and help you understand what is really going on. If you COULD have done in on your own, you WOULD have by now. WLS gives you a metabolic "reset" and a jump start.

That book sounds fascinating. I'll read it tonight. I sure am ready to be released of the guilt. I feel so guilty for not being able to keep off the weight. I'm ready to have a new tool to help me.

11 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

I cannot help but wonder where that viewpoint originated since most advancements in humanity were based on technological advancements (working smarter) making life easier.

Linked is a Medium article i enjoyed that addresses this idea and can be applied to many aspects of life including WLS.

https://medium.com/@tomnew/nothing-is-impossible-if-you-work-hard-enough-bullshit-4fdf4d83937d

Some people with no biology working against them can lose weight easily and keep it off. I think the "easy" belief came from people like that. Anyway, I don't plan to tell coworkers and most friends. I'll just tell them I did a lot of hard work and started eating less and exercising.

1 hour ago, imaginegirl said:

Some people with no biology working against them can lose weight easily and keep it off. I think the "easy" belief came from people like that. Anyway, I don't plan to tell coworkers and most friends. I'll just tell them I did a lot of hard work and started eating less and exercising.

When people ask me how I lost the weight, I tell them, "This is what I am doing........" and proceed to tell them about my eating and exercise programs. I put it in the present tense. Or I say, "Most people regain all the weight they lose, so why don't we wait a year and you can ask me again, if I am still thin."

It sounds like the main reason to have WLS is to lose a lot of weight upfront. I'll still have to fight against biology to keep the weight off. Is that true?

32 minutes ago, imaginegirl said:

It sounds like the main reason to have WLS is to lose a lot of weight upfront. I'll still have to fight against biology to keep the weight off. Is that true?

yes - main reason is to drop a ton of weight very quickly.

you will be fighting against biology to keep the weight off eventually, but it won't be quite as difficult as it was pre-surgery, because you'll be trying to defend a much lower set point than you were before.