Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things feel the same

Im just over a week post op and can eat nearly 2 cups of Soup without feeling the need to stop. Im full but im just surprised that i can fit that much in and have the appetite for it.

Anyone else feel the same so soon after surgery?

Cheers

liquids are much easier to get in for many people... but be very careful of the solid-ish foods! If you are eating mostly broth you should be fine... but if you are eating more solids in the broth you need to start measuring and limiting them if you want to be more successful. It is easy to try to push limits, but the goal is to try to stick to the diet as outlined by the nutritionist. You really shouldn't be trying to eat more than a half cup of the solids this early out. But again... pushing fluids is fine.

Thanks for the reply.

Its only been puree veggie Soups so far, nothing solid (unless thats considered a solid?). Its werid, my nitirionists havent given me a portion guide, they have kind of assumed i wont be able to stomach alot. Thats why i was thinking its weird cause my stomach seems to be fine.

Ill defo calm down on the portions though. Thanks again for the reply 😄🙏🙏

Dont panic

Try two cups of mashed potatoes and lets see how you do then! Actually do not try that you will be miserable

Soup you can do almost 5 times solid food like said above the liquid flows right thru the sleeve -

I started soft foods today. I was thinking the same thing until I tried some chicken salad. I ate 1/4 of a cup (what the nutritionist prescribed) and I felt sick. It felt like I had to burp but couldn’t. Here it is 3 hours later and I’m just starting to feel better.

my doctor also told me to use a baby spoon. I got some at the Dollar store and they have been amazing so far.

liquids go in one end of your stomach and out the other. You'll feel the restriction once you move to solid foods.

10 hours ago, MsMocie said:

It takes 30-60 sec for the Soup to pass your new pouch, and I think, you are eating at hold habits/old speed.

Use a teaspoon for the Soup, one "sip" and lay down the utensil. Wait for 30 sec after you swallowed it to take a new sip. You need to familiar yourself with the fullness feeling, and that doesn't come at instant. For me i.e I feel that the food sits in my throath before I feel full. It goes so fast when you learn how it works. Now I can acutally set myself up to take a bite, raise the utensil to my mouth, and then reconsider because the fullness feeling came in the time it took me to get a new bite.

And like over. Soups on broth can be one thing, but if you tried with 2 cups of creamed soup it would feel different.

Thanks so much for the reply. Ill def have to start a bit of a slower system of eating.

5 hours ago, TattooedSeaStar said:

I started soft foods today. I was thinking the same thing until I tried some chicken salad. I ate 1/4 of a cup (what the nutritionist prescribed) and I felt sick. It felt like I had to burp but couldn’t. Here it is 3 hours later and I’m just starting to feel better.

my doctor also told me to use a baby spoon. I got some at the Dollar store and they have been amazing so far.

Oh wow! Onky a quater of a cup. I guess thats great though, not the aickness part though. I hope I can only feel full after that many solids.

Thabkyou for the reply much appreciated

4 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

liquids go in one end of your stomach and out the other. You'll feel the restriction once you move to solid foods.

Thanks for that, i was getting a bit worried. They a def very watery Soups i hqve been eating/drinking

2 minutes ago, 60mingirl said:

Oh wow! Onky a quater of a cup. I guess thats great though, not the aickness part though. I hope I can only feel full after that many solids.

Thabkyou for the reply much appreciated

I’m only a week and a half out so it’s still trial and error. I felt really sleepy after typing that and took a quick nap. Woke up feeling amazing. Tonight I had 1/4 c of pinto Beans that I had in the crock pot all day. Not gonna lie- the smell made me sick but the outcome- YUM!

On 02/06/2020 at 21:42, MsMocie said:

I personally think chicken and salats are to rough for you just 1,5 weeks. The purpose of liquids, then mushy, then adjusting to solids are so the stiches can heal. The beans...maybe..., you can chew those, and they will easily digest. But salats and chicken 1,5 weeks out? Did you chew this to appelsause consistensy? I've not seen a diet go to solids that fast - they usually go with 1-3 weeks liquid, 1-3 weeks mushy, and then over on solids...

Please be very careful everyone so early out. Eating wrong foods, foods that are too tough, or not chewing enough can cause damage, and in worst case a leak and a new surgery.

Different surgeons follow different protocols. Some go straight to soft foods. It’s unusual but not unheard of. As long as their surgeon’s program is being followed then they should be fine