Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who have lost 100+ pounds

How are your general pain levels?

I ask because I'm about 150 pounds overweight and I have a lot of aches and pains. My knees, hips, back, etc. hurt almost constantly but especially when I'm moving, which deters me from moving and makes me not want to hit the gym :( which is the opposite of what I should be doing because movement is very healthy. I'm wondering if the weight lost from RNY will help me get back to the gym and get rid of the pain. I tried physical therapy but most of my treatments were temporary fixes (like traction for my back, needling my tight muscles, massage). It made me feel better but the pain returns.

Do you feel less pain now that you're lighter? Or is the damage pretty much already done? I want to run and jump and hike again so badly!

Following! Interested in this as well.

I was 120 overweight and I’ve lost 104. Mostly, my general aches and pains are gone but the arthritis is my hip seems to be back and slightly worse. Could just be aging though.

I have so much more energy and can walk, and jog, long distances where I just couldn’t before. I would get too winded and overheated.

I’ve really not had a single regret.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure 100 percent better - All the little aches and stress is gone - Not just due to the weight loss but also the Vitamins and minerals and doing cross fit -

I dont wake up feeling like stiff and sore

I was 120 overweight and I’ve lost 104. Mostly, my general aches and pains are gone but the arthritis is my hip seems to be back and slightly worse. Could just be aging though.

I have so much more energy and can walk, and jog, long distances where I just couldn’t before. I would get too winded and overheated.

I’ve really not had a single regret.

I should say I got the sleeve, not bypass.

I started in July 2019 with diet & exercise. My weight then was 427 lbs. I couldn't stand for more than 10 minutes before my ankles and legs started hurting. My right hip was also in almost constant pain. My doctor wanted me to lose enough weight before surgery to get my BMI down to 50. I started tracking calories and exercising 4 to 5 days a week for 30 minutes. Once I started losing weight everything started to feel better. I had my surgery on January 16 and as of today I have lost 103 lbs, 80 prior to surgery, 11 lbs during one week liquid pre-op diet and now 12 lbs one week after surgery. My pain is 1000% better. I started with Water aerobics and after a month of that moved to doing recumbent bike, then onto elliptical trainer. Start slow doing what you can and try to increase every week. As you get in better shape and lose weight it will get even better.

I had my sleeve surgery 3 years ago tomorrow, total loss is in the 160's.

I didn't wake up one morning and just feel amazing, what it was more like for me was noticing little things that were no longer a hassle as I went day by day.

Getting on the floor to play with the dogs, vacuuming, standing to wash dishes for a longer period of time. Realizing the new things I could do crept up on me more.

I'll also say that I had to build up some strength as I was loosing weight too. I didn't realize how much proper posture would hurt as I taught my new body to use different muscles.

It'll be a very exciting journey, enjoy it moment by moment as you discover all the new things you'll be able to accomplish.

I haven't lost 100 pounds, but thirty, and I ALREADY can tell a vast difference in my knees. Even that weight loss is helpful if you have osteoarthritis in your joints.

I am 5 pounds away from hitting the 100 pound list mark. I had horrible pain I. My knees,hands, elbows and feet from arthritis. I was taking tumeric with bioperine and it worked amazing well for inflammation.
now that I am nearly 100 pounds down, I don’t even need the turmeric anymore!
i t just got cold where I live the past few days. I do feel a little achy in my knees now but nowhere near what it used to be. I am sure that my knees are damaged from carrying so much weight around though. I truly think that I was close to needing one knee replaced before losing the weight. I don’t feel that way anymore.
while you are trying to lose, do yourself a favor and try the turmeric. Just be sure that it has at least 10 mg of bioperine ( black pepper) in it and is 95% curcuminoids. Give it a week ir two of taking daily and you will be amazed what a simple spice can do for inflammation

Good luck on your journey!!

One more thing. I had failed back surgery 12 years ago. I am a chronic pain patient. The weight loss has made a tremendous difference in my back pain as well

Yes! SOOO much better! I've lost over 155lbs and my pain level is infinitely better. I can do so much more even with chronic issues still remaining!!

ALL. PAIN. GONE. (well at least the weight-related ones, lol)

Back pain, foot pain, hip pain, knee pain. ALL. GONE.

P.S. I lost 120 lbs.

lost over 200 lbs. Used to have constant pain. Rarely have it anymore, and when I do, it's not nearly as bad as it was pre-surgery

I've lost 85 lbs. I have degenerative disc disease and arthritis in my back. I did nine months of physical therapy right after my surgery. Now I am doing pilates to strengthen my core. While I'm not pain free, I am off Oxy and doing things like sitting through a movie or ball game in a crappy seat with much less pain.

Where do I start???? I got my knee replacement when I was only in my 50's because I couldn't walk bone-on-bone anymore. My other knee was in the same shape shortly after and another replacement was in the making. There was virtually no joint space left. My mobility was severely limited. I couldn't stand for prolonged periods and just walking 1/4 mile was nearly impossible.

100+ pounds gone - TA DA! NO MORE PAIN!!!!!!! My un-operated knee has NO PAIN!!!! Xrays show that the joint space has greatly expanded with all the weight off. I am now training for my 2nd triathlon, and completed a 52 mile bicycle race in November. I am also training now toward a rim-to-rim (in one day - 24 miles) Grand Canyon hike - the bucket list item of all bucket lists! As part of that, I am hiking segments of the 830 mile Arizona Trail. I hope to complete all the segments in the next year.

So did taking off 113 pounds make a difference in my pain? WHAT PAIN????? My knees don't hurt, my back doesn't hurt, my feet don't hurt. I am getting a little flair up of some bursitis in one hip, but that is because of training, not extra weight.

I have my life back! I only wish I had done it sooner!