Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your Little Helpful Niche?

I'm planning on having a sleeve done late March. (I'm having to pay cash, and will be paying and making in stone appointment Feb 10th). (And HI! New here and have been semi stalking forums for a short while 😅)

I've got several people in my life who have had both By-pass/Sleeve, and they have given all sort of little tid-bits and niches thats helped them along the way.

• My father loved tiny spoons and tiny bowls. Even after 10 years of having the by-pass, when he was at home he continued to eat with tiny items.
  • A friend keeps a metal 1/2 measuring cup on his car keys (so he always has it to compare).
  • While another friend keeps a special metal ring on her so she can compare.

What was/is your helpful little niche after operation? Tiny items? Timers to keep reminders of Water and Snacks? Or did you just mentally always measure out portions to make sure not to over eat?

I still use my baby spoons at almost five years out. Not for any particular reason other than I like them. I usually remember to pack one when I travel, too. Eating things like yogurt doesn't seem the same without it!

I love the toddler spoons and forks . I know some say you don’t need them but I’m glad I got them. Also, those Jell-O shot cups . They are great for storing 2oz of food.

I measure everything out but from personal experience it seems really hard to over eat and if you do 😬 you will really not want to get to that point again ... I’m still early in the game though so it could change

I forgot to mention that I use my 8 oz ramekins A LOT. It's easy to know how much food I'm eating when I just put it in there - don't even need some intermediary measuring device. I know it's a cup. Or half a cup. They come in different sizes - 4 oz, 6 oz, etc - but the 8 oz ones are OK for me. I usually eat a cup or half cup of things, so it's easy enough to gauge that when I'm using an 8 oz ramekin.

I have a plastic collapsible one half cup measuring cup that goes everywhere with me. I know if I try eyeballing the food I'll eat too much. I started with the tiny spoons but once I got used to eating little bites I stopped using them. I also use the 8 oz ramekins--mine have a decorative etching around them that is one half cup.

Thank you everyone for your input! While getting so much major info on everything, its always great to get the little things as well. ❤️

Been making little lists of items to get (like tiny spoons) to go ahead and get and have ready.

JRT MOM - The bowls with the internal etching is an awesome idea!!! I have some small dipping type cups that this would be awesome inside of.

I heart these rings: https://store.bariatricpal.com/products/portionmate-meal-portion-control-rings-and-nutrition-tool

I also love my scale, measuring cups/spoons, baby spoons, and cocktail forks. :)
I also love 4oz custard ramekins, 4oz ball jars, 8oz ball jars, silicone egg cookers, and long walks in the rain with my special someone. :D

I'm eating from my salad plates and 4-6 oz ramekins a lot. Used the salad plates a lot when I was on Weight Watchers so it wasn't a difficult transition. I used a food scale before but I'm more reliant on one than ever.

I had been using disposable Water bottles and refilling them to track my drinking (except for when I was drinking Protein Shakes from my shaker etc), but I'm switching back to glasses and reusable water bottles most of the time since I know I can reliably drink 64 ounces or more a day. Stainless steel water bottles are essential for me because I love cold water. I'm also a peppermint tea addict now.

@FluffyChix - I had a friend give me these 1/2 cup mini tupper ware pieces. And I -think- I have some ramekins at home, but Ill have to do some deep cabinet cleaning. LOL

@cajunredpanda - I am the same way with cold Water, its a must. Though when it comes to water, its hard for me to keep track in a cup, so I normally end up toting around a few bottles with numbers on them. (Im horrible at it. LOL except for the time I kept a gal at my desk with a long straw. ) Love teas!!! If you ever look for something interesting, I order all of my teas via Adagio Teas. You can custom make blends and how much. I do a lot of the little tins. :)

I eat from side plates and small tapas bowls. I use splades a lot - I think you call them sporks? Fork spoon combo?

I like eating yogurt with a teaspoon too @catwoman7. Sometimes I just dip the spoon in not scoop it.

I cut my meat into small pieces before I put it on my plate. Helps to eat slowly & keep each bite small.

snack size ziplock bags (15x10cm - 5x3in) for freezing leftovers & batch cooking - perfect serving size.

I eyeball when I’m out - anything that would fit in my cupped palm is about the right amount of food (but I do have smallish hands).

I record all my food in a diary for the day - not the volumes or calories, just what I've eaten so I know if I'm overdoing it.

I chew everything a lot.

I also can't stand people that eat quickly! And sugar makes me feel seriously ill.

@Arabesque We do call them Sporks :) But now I can say I learned a new name for them!

@Lyndor Ive seen a few of the food diaries , but wasnt sure if it was something I would need. But being able to keep track of not of calories and such, but items in general. Thank you !

I eat from Ramekins or mini appetizer dishes with these tiny appetizer utensils. These force me to take little bites since they are smaller than my daughter's doll spoons. I buy boxes of them from Amazon. It comes with teeny plates, bowls and utensils. The perfect size for bariatric survivors.

Sent from my SM-J737P using BariatricPal mobile app

On 1/24/2020 at 1:32 PM, Khoric Ritter said:

Thank you everyone for your input! While getting so much major info on everything, its always great to get the little things as well. ❤️

Been making little lists of items to get (like tiny spoons) to go ahead and get and have ready.

JRT MOM - The bowls with the internal etching is an awesome idea!!! I have some small dipping type cups that this would be awesome inside of.

you always have great recommendations ! I am looking for single serve to go cups (reusable) microwaveable cups to bring food to work I can reheat. I have large ones at home but I am looking for no larger than 8 oz ones. I checked the above website but the only thing I could find were 22 oz ones. I checked Amazon but definately want BPA free. Any suggestions ?