Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on Wed...

I'm having my surgery on Wednesday, and I'm scared to death. I've never had surgery before and I'm really worried about it. Was anyone else really freaking out about it before?

Yes I was scared. I had mine done six months ago today. The morning of the surgery i just kept telling my self this is what i want and need. but yes i was scared. I am SOOOOOOOooo glad i did it. As of this morning i have lost 25 pounds. i started off at 217 pounds and down to 192. Mine has been slow but now it is really working for me or i am figureing out how to make it work for me. Good luck with it all and let us all know how you are feeling afterwards. Welcome to the loser's club in band land. wooo whooo good for you

I'm having my surgery on Wednesday, and I'm scared to death. I've never had surgery before and I'm really worried about it. Was anyone else really freaking out about it before?

I think it's natural to be scared of something that you have never done before. It's a giving up of the control and having to rely on someone else. I've had numerous surgeries, and I was scared. I just told myself if today was my day then so be it. I know that God will take care of me. Today is one week for me.

Good luck on Wednesday. :(

I can so relate to you freaking out. Here I sit looking at surgery in a matter of hours (11 hours to go) and I keep having freak out moments. I've had several surgeries in my life so it's not so much the surgery itself freaking me out as it is the forever change in my life that comes after. I think "good, almost here" then I turn around and think "what the heck am I thinking, I cant do this!". Positive, Negative, back and forth. Almost like little anxiety attacks. But ... I CAN do this. Just keep reminding yourself of the positives. That's what I'm trying to do.

Good luck!

I had my surgery saturday and yes i was scared, even to the point of doing my will. Have had surgery before and never got scared. i think for me it was because i was making a choice to have the op. Glad i did day four post op and doing well, good luck to you, you will be fine.

It was my first operation as well and I was terrified that I would die or become a vegetable. Stupid thoughts that made me anxious for more than 2 months prior, put on 9 lbs in that time from over eating to suppress those feelings. Needless to say, I came out of it with no major problems and have lost 21.5 lbs to boot. Just remember that the odds are on your side. :whoo::whoo:

Lukin, I was just glad that the moment had finally come, and that finally I was going to do something new about this problem that I have wrestled with for nearly my entire life. It had been so long since I had such a feeling of hope... good luck with your surgery tomorrow.

I was surprised that I wasn't nervous at all! The only other surgery I've had was a tubal ligation 23 years ago and I wasn't nervous for that either. But I remembered that it was a very easy procedure and recuperation, even though I had four kids age five and under. This time, I was a little more sore and tired but now that it's been almost four weeks, I'm amazed at how quickly I felt normal again. It's already getting difficult to remember all the details. :(

Take comfort in knowing that the operation is pretty common now and complications are very rare. You may be uncomfortable at times -- take your pain meds and stay ahead of the pain the first few days. But you'll get better each day and pretty quickly. Good luck!

Thanks for all the support. Congratulations to everyone for there success, and good luck to those having the surgery soon. I'll keep everybody updated.

I was not scared, but if you are really scared when you get there, they will give you something to relax and help you to feel better. :)

Don't forget to check in aftewards to let us know how it went!

Hi everyone.....I made it through surgery and i'm back at home now. I believe everything went fine and I was up walking around about an hour after surgery. The band is extremely tight and I can barely get Water down right now. Every time I take a sip of anything I can feel it go down and then a little burp after it passes. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm hoping it's because of the swelling inside. They told me that I might have to do the Clear Liquids for a couple extra days to make sure the swelling has gone down before doing the liquid diet again.

Congratulations, another survivor !! :):whoo: Sounds like it might be the swelling doing that. How long are you on fluids for? I had to do fluids for 2 weeks, then mushies for 2 weeks and now I am on solids. Follow the rules and you should be fine.