Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Month Stall. WTF?!



Recommended Posts

Hey all! I am frustrated! Can you tell by the title of my post? Lol! I had surgery on 4/9/19 and although I am down 71lbs, I have been stalled for 3 months now! I've only lost 6lbs since October. I'm not sure what is going on. I will say, back in April of 2017, I did have a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy so maybe my hormones are all over the place. I need advice BAD. Has anyone experienced this long of a stall? If so, how did you come out of it? I am grateful for this tool and am trying to get all I can out of it. HELP!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

track your food and change up your exercise. I did not have that long of a stall, but i had stalls for about 3 weeks each month back to back for a bit. Change something up. For me.. I realized how many carbs i was adding to my coffee with Creamer and i drink coffee 24/7.. went back to using Protein Shakes and its helping a great deal. It could be hidden stuff that you may think is not hindering you. Take a closer look and analyze everything till you figure out what the triggere could be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Miss Lis : If you want, you can post your stats as well as what you typically eat/drink (like EVERYTHING you put in your mouth in a day) and I'm sure alot of folks on here would be happy to help you troubleshoot ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is entirely possible that you have not "stalled"' you have "stopped". You have hit a daily caloric intake that no longer causes you to lose weight.

Among other things, you are 80 lbs lighter than when you started so your daily caloric burn is LESS than it was when you started. Think of it this way: whatever you are consuming today, is what it will take for you to maintain your current weight for the rest of your life. That's a good thing!

First - congratulations on losing close to 80 lbs.

Second - don't consume any more per day that you have been for the last 3 months.

Third - get a bit more exercise (enjoy your new self)

Fourth - try to cut back a little bit on calories (500 per day less would give you a lb per week)

Give it a try, and see what happens

luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I have experienced a multi-month stall and yes, it's frustrating as hell. I tried everything, thinking I had something wrong. As it turned out, my body just needed a rest and I needed to add a few more calories, which was counter-intuitive, and then I started losing again. It's okay if your body takes a break. Let it do its thing. Stick with the program and hang in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have good news for you. I was sleeved on April 29th and I hit a low on November 4. I spent 2 months in a sideways range and only recently broke it. See the chart below what a 2 month stall 6 months out looks like! What am i doing differently, absolutely nothing I think my body just needed to consolidate after months of such rapid loss.

@Fatboyslim1 while true that cutting 500 calories a day will result in 1lb/week of loss I highly doubt anyone 9 months out has the ability to cut out 500 calories a day unless they are somehow over say 1700 a day (unlikely)

image.thumb.png.ef734fa54fe27c267d5cdcfe60bc2329.png

Edited by Brent701

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Brent701 said:

I have good news for you. I was sleeved on April 29th and I hit a low on November 4. I spent 2 months in a sideways range and only recently broke it. See the chart below what a 2 month stall 6 months out looks like! What am i doing differently, absolutely nothing I think my body just needed to consolidate after months of such rapid loss.

@Fatboyslim1 while true that cutting 500 calories a day will result in 1lb/week of loss I highly doubt anyone 9 months out has the ability to cut out 500 calories a day unless they are somehow over say 1700 a day (unlikely)

image.thumb.png.ef734fa54fe27c267d5cdcfe60bc2329.png

The reality is, no one except the OP knows how much she is consuming. I don't quite understand the idea that someone must be @ 1700 calories per day to be able to drop 500 (which by the way could easily be attained with sugars and sweets). Even 1700-500 is 1200. I'm at 750 right now, so for me to add 500 would only be 1250. So I don't really get what you mean.

Curious how many calories were you consuming back in July vs September ? Admittedly, the first 2-3 months are the sweet spot where everyone should be striving to follow the plan to the max.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My point is its not easy to cut out 500 calories a day if you are anywhere near following the plan. This is not like non bariatrics that are eating 2500 calories a day and want to cut to 2000. Its MUCH harder to cut 500 calories when you are eating substantially less.

Ive been on the same routine since around mid July.

Edited by Brent701

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what you are saying, but a perfect example is that my wife bought me some "high Protein energy bars" for Christmas. Yesterday she saw them still sitting on the bread box and asked me "aren't you going to eat those"?

I said, thanks, but no way, they have over 350 calories per bar. So her intent was certainly good, but One Bar a day would be 350+ more calories, which is why I am saying that maybe it's not always about eating another couple chicken breast per day, it's about subtle things that you do by accident or good intent.

So again, how was your calorie consumption over time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats a fair point and wont disagree. There has been a slight calorie creep for me from July vs September but no change at all for me since then. Call it 800-1200 vs 1000-1400. Maintenance at current weight is 2500 at no activity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool - Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Fatboyslim1 said:

It is entirely possible that you have not "stalled"' you have "stopped". You have hit a daily caloric intake that no longer causes you to lose weight.

Among other things, you are 80 lbs lighter than when you started so your daily caloric burn is LESS than it was when you started. Think of it this way: whatever you are consuming today, is what it will take for you to maintain your current weight for the rest of your life. That's a good thing!

First - congratulations on losing close to 80 lbs.

Second - don't consume any more per day that you have been for the last 3 months.

Third - get a bit more exercise (enjoy your new self)

Fourth - try to cut back a little bit on calories (500 per day less would give you a lb per week)

Give it a try, and see what happens

luck!

Here is BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) calculator which shows your daily caloric needs based on your height and weight. Not sure if it would be any different for WLS folk, but it will at least give you and idea of where you are at. For me an 80 lbs weight loss means my BMR is 500 calories a day less than when I started.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Fatboyslim1 said:

I know what you are saying, but a perfect example is that my wife bought me some "high Protein energy bars" for Christmas. Yesterday she saw them still sitting on the bread box and asked me "aren't you going to eat those"?

I said, thanks, but no way, they have over 350 calories per bar. So her intent was certainly good, but One Bar a day would be 350+ more calories, which is why I am saying that maybe it's not always about eating another couple chicken breast per day, it's about subtle things that you do by accident or good intent.

So again, how was your calorie consumption over time?

You *could* cut the bars into 1/3 pieces.

Edited by GreenTealael

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Miss Liss said:

Hey all! I am frustrated! Can you tell by the title of my post? Lol! I had surgery on 4/9/19 and although I am down 71lbs, I have been stalled for 3 months now! I've only lost 6lbs since October. I'm not sure what is going on. I will say, back in April of 2017, I did have a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy so maybe my hormones are all over the place. I need advice BAD. Has anyone experienced this long of a stall? If so, how did you come out of it? I am grateful for this tool and am trying to get all I can out of it. HELP!

I contacted my Team for professional advice during my stalls. In the end I switched some of my foods around, drank more Water, played around with intermittent fasting and let the surgery work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×