Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach stretching

So I’ve just been for a check-up with my surgeon’s offsider. My continued issues with low blood pressure and now poor liver function, high inflammation levels & general weakness are raising red flags. Add to this I’m still losing weight (54.1kgs this morning) even though I’m trying to eat more & more regularly. Plus I’m still losing lots of hair (even my eyebrows are thinning now so I’m having my brows microbladed on Monday). She’s made me an urgent appointment with the surgeon for next week suggesting that he may need to stretch my stomach so I can eat more & get in more nutrients. Yikes 😱.

I am eating a little more at each sitting and tend to graze all afternoon slowly eating combinations of fruit, cheese, high Protein yogurt smoothies or Protein Bars. I eat until I feel full. Sometimes I’m just not hungry so I eat to a routine (3 meals & afternoon snacks) to ensure I get in my protein & other nutrients every day & always protein first.

I even stopped my exercise program (loose description - I hate exercising so I’m not devastated) because I’m still losing weight - couldn’t afford to burn off the calories.

Has anyone had to have their stomach stretched by their surgeon? What do they do? Has anymore has these problems? I don’t want to put on weight again.

No, I haven't. However, my surgeon says that it's next to impossible to "stretch" the pouch. She says that's an urban legend perpetuated by non-doctors on the internet. I'd be interested to hear how they actually do that--please keep us posted.

9 hours ago, Arabesque said:

So I’ve just been for a check-up with my surgeon’s offsider. My continued issues with low blood pressure and now poor liver function, high inflammation levels & general weakness are raising red flags. Add to this I’m still losing weight (54.1kgs this morning) even though I’m trying to eat more & more regularly. Plus I’m still losing lots of hair (even my eyebrows are thinning now so I’m having my brows microbladed on Monday). She’s made me an urgent appointment with the surgeon for next week suggesting that he may need to stretch my stomach so I can eat more & get in more nutrients. Yikes 😱.

I am eating a little more at each sitting and tend to graze all afternoon slowly eating combinations of fruit, cheese, high Protein yogurt smoothies or Protein Bars. I eat until I feel full. Sometimes I’m just not hungry so I eat to a routine (3 meals & afternoon snacks) to ensure I get in my Protein & other nutrients every day & always protein first.

I even stopped my exercise program (loose description - I hate exercising so I’m not devastated) because I’m still losing weight - couldn’t afford to burn off the calories.

Has anyone had to have their stomach stretched by their surgeon? What do they do? Has anymore has these problems? I don’t want to put on weight again.

Can you ask your surgeon if you can first try to alternate your Protein Shakes with a builder's/gainer's Protein Shake?

If you are structurally sound/intact IMHO i wouldn't mess with it...

I'm not sure what the options are in AU but here are a few from the internet:

GNC PRO PERFORMANCE® BULK 1340

https://www.gnc.com/gym-weight-management-exclusive/414778.html?dwopt_414778_ogSubscriptionType

Naked Mass - Natural Weight Gainer Protein

https://nkdnutrition.com/products/weight-gainer-protein-supplement?gclid=CjwKCAiA3uDwBRBFEiwA1VsajIt9qsOOrEHnKgQMRa-Av7nWQnYd-qZd3kY1VmtHA2uvFqfOPg4BXRoC-CAQAvD_BwE

CytoSport Muscle Milk Gainer

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/store/muscle-milk-gainer.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA3uDwBRBFEiwA1VsajJw18e6113e4P_ASj4LF0hstdeK2B61l2d8KISRsU1FNvO7qkZXt1hoCe8QQAvD_BwE

Good Luck 💚

I agree above I am on this currently and seem to be slowing down big time and feeling much more healthier, more energy etc.

Only been on it a week but i think it really is helping -

https://www.amazon.com/REDCON1-MRE-Oatmeal-Chocolate-Chip/dp/B07HGS56CF/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1KFWAIBC6BBSH&keywords=mre+powder&qid=1578663754&sprefix=MRE+pow%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-9

I've not heard of needing to be stretched before. Good luck.

Thank you all for your advice. It’s a worry that no one knows or has heard about stomach stretching.

I have to admit I don’t drink Protein Shakes. I did through my initial stages but once I got onto solid food I stopped drinking them. I found them very grainy & they would coat my mouth & back of my teeth. Plus I found they tasted terrible - it didn’t matter what I mixed them with - shudder. I used to heat the chocolate flavour so they’d be like a real hot chocolate ... it wasn’t. Lol. I know some people put it in coffee but I don’t drink coffee.

I’ve tried a few different types, including pea powder, & flavours and I now have a shelf full of tubs in my cupboard. It’s why I started on high Protein yogurt, yogurt drinks & bars to supplement my daily protein intake. My dietician hasn’t pushed me to drink protein shakes & was ok with my alternatives.

Guess I’ll have to see what my surgeon says next week. Will keep you updated.

Clear Protein Drinks might work, just considering your nutritional state - try ready-made blue raspberry Isopure if it is available in AU. The liver function is worrisome, and continued hair fallout is from not getting enough Protein. Why is your liver function so low? Try adding fats, avocado in smoothies, full fat milk/cheeses, etc.

Yikes, you are 112 pounds. Not to sound alarmist but def add some fats.

Edited by Sosewsue61

On 1/10/2020 at 4:17 AM, Arabesque said:

Has anyone had to have their stomach stretched by their surgeon?

I've only heard of strictures treated, sorry.

You weren't very heavy to begin with, a BMI of 35. On top of this you've lost weight quite fast. What does your nutritionist say? The gastroenterologist?

How do the labs run, including Vitamin panels? How bad is the liver function already?

During my last hospital stay for adhesiolysis I've seen patients admitted to receive TPN because they were malnourished and dehydrated since they couldn't eat enough (still very overweight but anyway).

On 1/10/2020 at 1:38 AM, Recidivist said:

No, I haven't. However, my surgeon says that it's next to impossible to "stretch" the pouch. She says that's an urban legend perpetuated by non-doctors on the internet. I'd be interested to hear how they actually do that--please keep us posted.

Just curious - if it's next to impossible to stretch a pouch, how are so many VSG patients gaining weight years after the surgery? Certainly there must be some natural elasticity that would allow a small pouch to be stretched again? I'd love to believe that my pouch couldn't be stretched but my brain says otherwise...

Thank you for everyone’s advice & suggestions.

My dietician isn’t concerned. She believes the high inflammatory markers are from the weight loss as is the liver function concerns. I’ve read that HRT can also cause the inflammatory markers to increase. She doesn’t understand all the fuss especially as I’m not underweight. We joke & say maybe my metabolism has finally kicked in after 40 years.

I saw my surgeon on Thursday. He wants me to put on about 4kg which I don’t want to do. He said Protein levels can increase the markers too. But I did get confusing info from him. First told to reduce protein (high protein can raise the markers but so can low protein), then to add an egg every day, then put on weight. Part of his reasoning for adding weight is it’s better for my bones??? My bone density is very high - top percentile - so why worry about my bones??? Said no endoscopy but maybe a liver MRI in month’s time. Had another blood test yesterday. Sigh. He also said he’d reviewed my cholesterol history & said it was always up & down (between 5&6) so no concern.

I’ve added to my daily diet - a mid morning snack & another afternoon snack - but still lost weight this week - only 400g but still. Now alternate tuna frittata muffins, hummus on multigrain crackers, high protein yoghurt (in a smoothie (with silica, collagen & benefibre or alone), fruit, high Protein Bar, cheese. I feel like I’m forcing myself to eat & feel full most of the day.

My worry is if I continue to lose weight, which I don’t want to do, & this constant focus on food. It’s taking over my life. Waaaah! Throws hands in the air.

5 hours ago, MoonPiePrincess said:

Just curious - if it's next to impossible to stretch a pouch, how are so many VSG patients gaining weight years after the surgery? Certainly there must be some natural elasticity that would allow a small pouch to be stretched again? I'd love to believe that my pouch couldn't be stretched but my brain says otherwise...

I think that's a question for your surgeon and/or nutritionist.

On 1/10/2020 at 1:47 PM, Arabesque said:

I am eating a little more at each sitting and tend to graze all afternoon slowly eating combinations of fruit, cheese, high Protein yogurt smoothies or Protein Bars. I eat until I feel full. Sometimes I’m just not hungry so I eat to a routine (3 meals & afternoon snacks) to ensure I get in my Protein & other nutrients every day & always protein first.

That sounds counterintuitive...

You get plenty of nutrients through Protein Shakes and VITAMINS..

The whole idea of surgery is to eat less and smaller portions; I've never heard of anyone wanting to deliberately stretch their pouch?

I'm in Australia and I get all my Protein Powder online at great prices

I personally use SCITEC.

https://www.aminoz.com.au/scitec-nutrition-100-whey-protein-pro.html

Tastes like milkshakes and I only use Water to mix it.

Just so we understand what you are gong through: did you say you are not drinking protien shakes, because you don't like the taste, and at the same time you are wondering why your hair is falling out? Are you getting at least 90 grams of protien every day?

are you tracking your exact protien and calorie intake?

My surgeon & dietician are fine with me not drinking Protein Shakes as the high Protein yogurt drink I have as a snack has 22g per serve so similar to protein shakes as well as all the other sources I eat every day. My other afternoon snack option combinations give me 15-20g as well.

I don’t track my intake everyday but do random checks especially when I change my diet. I seem to fluctuate between about 50 to 75grams of protein. Low on days when I’m not hungry & am forcing myself to eat to get in the nutrients.

I think it is possible to stretch it out. I had the sleeve... now granted I did have lots of stents put in to fix a leak, but I started to gain weight pretty quickly after everything had healed. I only lost weight because I was on TPN for 3 months and wasn't able to eat or drink anything.

I had an endoscopy and the GI guy was shocked that I had lost any weight at all because there was little to no restriction. That's why I went on to have the Bypass. So... something definitely stretched out for whatever reason.