Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

17 minutes ago, PlanetHopper said:

I still have really bad hair thinning. I am not sure how to make it slow down.

you can't. You just have to wait for it to grow back - which it will...

6 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

you can't. You just have to wait for it to grow back - which it will...

That is what I had thought. I starting excess shedding at 2 months post-op. My hair was SUPER healthy be4 the surgery. It's never been chemically changed or processed. When did your hair stop excess shedding and when did it start?

32 minutes ago, PlanetHopper said:

That is what I had thought. I starting excess shedding at 2 months post-op. My hair was SUPER healthy be4 the surgery. It's never been chemically changed or processed. When did your hair stop excess shedding and when did it start?

I didn't actually lose that much hair - I doubt anyone else noticed. It started around month 5 or 6 and lasted maybe three months or so before it stopped.

9 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I didn't actually lose that much hair - I doubt anyone else noticed. It started around month 5 or 6 and lasted maybe three months or so before it stopped.

Aw, that's pretty great that you were one of the lucky ones. I know everyone is different. I have very curly hair so there are many ways I can make it look like it did before all the shedding. However, if I wear my hair like I use to, it's definitely noticeable.

I also started shedding 2 months post-op. It's now 5 months post-op and I'm still losing. It's becoming noticeable but I can't get it cut till the stylists are back. Should be the least of my worries, but I guess I'm vain...

My hair is much thinner right now! I’m hoping it will grow back soon.

I used to have very healthy hair that grew very quickly! Not at all right now. I wear it short and I feel like it is someone else’s hair! My hairdresser totally can tell.

I can survive with it like this right now but if it gets much worse, it might become embarrassing.

Still don’t regret VSG!!

4 hours ago, Sarah1216 said:

I also started shedding 2 months post-op. It's now 5 months post-op and I'm still losing. It's becoming noticeable but I can't get it cut till the stylists are back. Should be the least of my worries, but I guess I'm vain...

I don't think you're vain! I am sharing the same experience as you, except I'm one month behind you. My shedding is still happening. Hopefully, they are back soon so they can help us!

1 hour ago, pssk said:

My hair is much thinner right now! I’m hoping it will grow back soon.

I used to have very healthy hair that grew very quickly! Not at all right now. I wear it short and I feel like it is someone else’s hair! My hairdresser totally can tell.

I can survive with it like this right now but if it gets much worse, it might become embarrassing.

Still don’t regret VSG!!

I'm a little afraid of cutting my hair short, to be honest. I have very curly hair and it has taken me a long time to get to its current length. At the same time, it may look better shorter because of all the thinning but I'm too afraid to find out.

You probably have the advantage with curly hair. I don’t dare give advice on cutting it but I think mine would have been worse if I had all one length hair. But mine is poker straight!

19 hours ago, PlanetHopper said:

I don't think you're vain! I am sharing the same experience as you, except I'm one month behind you. My shedding is still happening. Hopefully, they are back soon so they can help us!

Thank you!

I had just gotten a trim before the quarantine started and my stylist recommended a shorter style to hide the thinning, but I decided to wait till warmer weather. Now I wish I'd just gotten it done then. I do have curly shoulder length hair so it's not as noticeable as it would have been if I'd left it longer.

I had my sleeve done in 2017 and lost about 50% of my hair from month 3 to month 6 then it stopped shedding. Very slowly, it has grown back to probably 75% of what it was.

My problem now is, I have just had another major surgery to have my adrenal gland removed, open surgery, very large "L" shaped cut, not pretty!

I am just very worried that this will trigger another bout of Hair loss in a couple of months time :( as I suspect its the actual surgery, rather than the type of surgery, that triggers it.

Edited by Neversaynever

2 hours ago, Neversaynever said:

I had my sleeve done in 2017 and lost about 50% of my hair from month 3 to month 6 then it stopped shedding. Very slowly, it has grown back to probably 75% of what it was.

My problem now is, I have just had another major surgery to have my adrenal gland removed, open surgery, very large "L" shaped cut, not pretty!

I am just very worried that this will trigger another bout of Hair loss in a couple of months time :( as I suspect its the actual surgery, rather than the type of surgery, that triggers it.

you're right in that it's the surgery itself and not the particular type of surgery. You can experience Hair loss after ANY surgery because it's due to the anesthesia and the trauma to the body, as I understand it. I think they tend see it more often after bariatric surgery, though, because we're taking in so few calories those first few months.

20 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

as I suspect its the actual surgery, rather than the type of surgery, that triggers it.

Are you sure? Did your surgeon say that Hair loss is a possible side effect? I have had other surgeries (removal of a tumor from my back, various oral surgeries) and those did not result in hair loss. Surgery in general does not cause hair loss.The type of surgery does matter.

20 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

You can experience Hair loss after ANY surgery because it's due to the anesthesia and the trauma to the body

I do not believe this is true. I have been under anesthesia more times than I can count due to various issues and I have never had hair loss until the VSG. As stated above, I have also had multiple surgeries and never experienced hair loss with any of them except VSG.

48 minutes ago, PlanetHopper said:

Are you sure? Did your surgeon say that Hair loss is a possible side effect? I have had other surgeries (removal of a tumor from my back, various oral surgeries) and those did not result in hair loss. Surgery in general does not cause hair loss.The type of surgery does matter.

I do not believe this is true. I have been under anesthesia more times than I can count due to various issues and I have never had Hair loss until the VSG. As stated above, I have also had multiple surgeries and never experienced hair loss with any of them except VSG.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/a_to_z/telogen-effluvium-a-to-z

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321590#causes

https://www.verywellhealth.com/telogen-effluvium-1069409

Edited by catwoman7

22 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I was unable to access the full article for the first link you sent.

This is a quote from the second link you sent "Surgery. Depending on the type of procedure, length of stay in hospital, medications, and overall nutritional status." Thus, not EVERY surgery causes Hair loss and it cannot be said that anesthesia is the cause of hair loss.

The third link doesn't give much detail, it just simply states that surgery can be a cause of hair loss, which every bariatric patient knows is true. However, this does not lead to the conclusion that EVERY surgery will result in hair loss. It depends on the type of surgery.