Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

no. Most lose some. A few lose a lot and a few lose none at all. But most people lose some. It's more like shedding. For me, I noticed there were a lot more hairs in my comb than usual when I combed it out after washing it. But just looking at it in the mirror, I couldn't tell. A lot of people CAN tell (on themselves, that is...), but it's usually not enough that other people notice. If you lose more than usual, you can often cover it up by cutting it short or wearing it in some style that "hides" the loss. It's kind of rare that people lose it in big chunks (like someone on chemo). But again, to answer your question, no, not everyone loses hair.

Does everyone lose hair? ....how much hair do you lose?....does it grow back?
Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi, I have lost a lot of hair since my surgery 7/31/19. It sheds throughout the day. My doctor says to increase my folic acid intake and continue taking my supplements and follow my eating plan and my hair will grow back. I'm also taking e Biotin and collagen and I use Viviscal Shampoo and conditioner and supplements.

5'4"
Starting weight 297
VSG on 7/31/19
Surgery wt: 266
CW 211
GW 135

Sent from my [samsung Galaxy] using BariatricPal mobile app

I’ve lost a lot of hair. A good 50%. Started 2 months post surgery and it’s still falling out 5 months later. Waaah! Every day I have hair on my floor, on my clothes & handfuls when I wash my hair. Thank goodness I had very thick hair originally but it’s very thin now. I’ve been taking silica, collagen, all my Multi Vitamins & have increased my Protein consumption but no joy yet. My hairdresser has a magnifying camera & told me my scalp was healthy & the hair I have is very strong but I don’t have many follicles. It’s caused by a combination of stress to your body, diet change & reduced nutrient intake & initially the anaesthetic. As my doctor said: your body has better things to do with the nutrients you’re consuming than to grow hair. He said it will grow back. Just don’t know when. 😩

Going the other way I have lost none, but I have been a Vitamin and mineral OCD WLS addict since about week 3 and i do take all the Vitamins and supplements for Hair loss stop also!

I had surgery at the beg of September and the last few months have been awful with the amount of hair I’ve lost...thankfully (I guess) I had very thick hair to begin with but it is so thinned out it’s very depressing...that’s the truth for me not sugar coated...but it’s going to be different for everyone and you can’t predict what will happen...I haven’t heard of anyone losing so much they have bald Patches or anything but I suppose there must be extreme cases as there are minimal cases as well...my question is whether or not I will ever have my till thick head of hair ever again...that is what would interest me is what happens a year or two down the road and whether it’s temporary or permanent..?

12 hours ago, CannonRoar said:

I had surgery at the beg of September and the last few months have been awful with the amount of hair I’ve lost...thankfully (I guess) I had very thick hair to begin with but it is so thinned out it’s very depressing...that’s the truth for me not sugar coated...but it’s going to be different for everyone and you can’t predict what will happen...I haven’t heard of anyone losing so much they have bald Patches or anything but I suppose there must be extreme cases as there are minimal cases as well...my question is whether or not I will ever have my till thick head of hair ever again...that is what would interest me is what happens a year or two down the road and whether it’s temporary or permanent..?

it's almost always temporary.

I had RNY on 10/24/19 and at about 3 months I started losing hair and it hasn't stopped yet! I am surprised at how much I lose every day. Please someone tell me that this will end. I don't have thick hair to begin with, yikes!!!

It does end. I’m 9.5 months post surgery & I feel pretty confident is saying my Hair loss has normalised (knock on wood). I lost more than 50% which was pretty scary too me. As were the handfuls that came out every day & don’t start me on the huge amounts that fell when I washed my hair.

I took silica & collagen but nothing helped. Now my weight has stabilised, I’m better at ensuring I eat my Protein every day & I’m eating a more balanced diet, the hair loss decreased.

Give it time. Don’t stress. As my surgeon said: your body has better things to do with the nutrients your consuming than grow hair at the moment. Plus your body is going through lots of changes & learning to function with a reduced diet while your losing weight.

Thanks for the encouragment. I don't know anyone who's had the surgery that I could ask.

I've lost about 1/3 of my hair...not happy about it but losing 95# has made it worth it.

Started losing at 4 months postop...I'm now 18 months out and although some has grown back, I have more to go.

I've taken all the supplements, eaten more Protein and used all the shampoos but none seem to help. Just growing back slowly.

Edited by Gottanewlife

On 1/1/2020 at 11:22 PM, CubaRican73 said:

Does everyone lose hair? ....how much hair do you lose?....does it grow back?

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

The majority of people do have increased shedding. Women are more likely to encounter Hair loss than men.

I have 3c curly hair. Before the surgery, my hair was VERY healthy. I have never dyed or permed my hair. After the surgery, I started to experience increased hair shedding at around 1.5-2 months post-op. I am now 3 months post-op. I have been told that will probably stop around 9 months. My hair DOES come out in large amounts during each wash day. My most recent labs were excellent, so good that even my Doctor was surprised by my numbers. Thus, it has nothing to do with my nutrients.

I hope this doesn't scare you away from having the surgery but I do want to be honest with you so that you know what can happen.

I cut my hair. That has helped. Don't wash it often. That helps. I use supplements for hair. That includes copper for graying hair because the top of my head has whitened. I'm getting some drops soon that I can put on my head after washing and leave in. The reviews say I will have thick hair in a few months. I plan in having my dr check my blood for nutrition levels.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 3/9/2020 at 9:17 AM, BrendaV2262 said:

I cut my hair. That has helped. Don't wash it often. That helps. I use supplements for hair. That includes copper for graying hair because the top of my head has whitened. I'm getting some drops soon that I can put on my head after washing and leave in. The reviews say I will have thick hair in a few months. I plan in having my dr check my blood for nutrition levels.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using BariatricPal mobile app

It is a good idea to get your blood checked every so often to ensure you are not deficient. I had full bloodwork done last month and everything came back perfect, even my MA (medical assistant) was surprised by how good it was. However, I still have really bad hair thinning. I am not sure how to make it slow down.