Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need No gym options

Do you have a smart TV or a streaming device? There are work out videos for free of every kind on You Tube.

I don't know your initial fitness level, but if that is part of the issue, look for "chair exercises" on youtube. You'll be amazed at what a good workout you can get while in a chair. The chair keeps you from exerting too much pressure on knees and hips.

This is what I do:

1) At least 10,000 steps a day, tracked on my little wrist step tracker.

2) Wall pushups, followed by large arm circles and small arm circles, both directions, I do 3 sets. The number of reps depends on you and you gradually add reps to each set. I also do pelvic tilts in this session.

3) Leg routine: squats, front lunges, pliatte squats, side lunges, pistol squats, side leg raises and cross overs, and a couple of others I don't know the name of. (These are NOT deep squats - only do what is comfortable and gradually increase.) I found the leg exercises on line.

4) Upper body weight routine with only 3 and 5 pound weights (WalMart). 3 sets. I use the exercises given by my surgeon and also on line.

5) Stair climbing. (I am up to 25 flights/day, with goal of 75 as I train toward a Grand Canyon hike.) I started with just 1 flight.

6) Stretching.

7) Cardio (this can be hill hiking, biking, swimming, or elliptical machine which I have.)

I do these exercises every day - 6 days a week. Hill hiking is increasing until I can do 20 miles, again, prepping for the GC rim-to-rim.

So none of this is in a gym. No fancy equipment, except for the Elliptical which is just a back up when I can't get outside due to weather or darkness, I start in the morning before work with arms and legs. Stairs after work. Cardio, weights, after dinner. Stretching before bed. I'll walk around the living room if I have to to get my 10,000 steps in, but usually that is not an issue. My resting morning pulse is in the mid 40's and I feel like I am in the best shape of my life! I can eat anything I want, although I only choose healthy options - I don't want junk in my new body!

I used to be very active, but the fatter I got, the more immobile I got. Then my joints started to go. After surgery, I have gotten my life back, and physical activity is a big part of that. Start slow and build up. Be consistent and you will see some great results in so many ways, :)

@AZhiker thanks for sharing. I’m going to have to google some of those and give them a try.

I like to get books from the library about things like bodyweight exercises and boxing drills.

I have Beach Body OD I'm not a seller but it does work for me when I use it. Cost 100$ a year for all the workouts you would ever want. I like the 21-day fix and just a few others.

There are also a ton of free videos from your cable provider if you Fios or Xfinity. I have using the 10 minute workout videos and beginning weight lifting.

21 hours ago, babysteps said:

I have Beach Body OD I'm not a seller but it does work for me when I use it. Cost 100$ a year for all the workouts you would ever want. I like the 21-day fix and just a few others.

I am not sure that I get it. Is it just like Netflix for workout videos?

You could take out exercise DVD’s from the library, search YouTube or stream a program

2 hours ago, Shparks said:

I am not sure that I get it. Is it just like Netflix for workout videos?

kind of, that's a good way to put it. I buy the Protein they have and the workouts are pretty fun. They go from beginner to gym rats.

I recommend you to purchase a set of expanders for practicing at home. They are not expensive, but you can use them for any muscle group.

If you have a streaming device you could add fitness channels. Some are free. Some are a small subscription fee. Usually in the range of $15-20/month. They have them for a huge assortment of exercise types. Daily Burn is one I have used, but I prefer Pilates so I subscribed to Pilates Anytime. They have a huge library. I personally don't like the free channels that much, but they do the job if you find the right programs.

Figure out what kinds of exercise you like, and buy the basic equipment for that exercise. That might just be having a mat or towel that you workout on the floor. Perhaps some lightweight hand weights (don't need a huge set). For me, I have a mat, hand weights. Exercise bands, foam roller, a magic circle (for squeezing arms/legs against), exercise balls, and a strap for stretching. Nothing fancy and all of it is inexpensive. I use all of these with different Pilates exercises. They can also be used for Yoga or other mat style workouts. With or without a video. Oh... husband has a weight bench set... but I hate using it.

I also bought an "Under the desk" bicycle thing that you sit in a chair and pedal with (takes up minimal space and I have one at home and one under my desk at work). I also just bought a mini elliptical that takes up minimal space. I have a full size treadmill but that is a much bigger investment.

1 hour ago, Dr. Skyler Matthew said:

I would be happy to share that theres really something that can help you out.

happy to sell you mean