Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not really a rant but just frustrating



Recommended Posts

Mother: You’re too thin.

Me: I’ve been this weight before & it wasn’t an issue then.

Mother: You need to stop losing weight.

Me: I weigh more than you did when you were in your 20s & I’m 3inches shorter. And I’m in maintenance.

Mother: You don’t look like you any more.

Me: I look like me just not as fat.

Mother: I don’t know what to cook for you when you visit anymore.

Me: Cook the same meals you always did. I just don’t eat as much.

Mother: I don’t know who you look like anymore.

Me: I still look like me just not as fat.

And so it goes on.

My mother has been supportive through out the process but this last month these conversations have been on a loop. Am I being overly sensitive that they are bothering me so much or am I justified to be fed up.
Anyone else facing these sorts of comments from their loved ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, very similar comments from my sister and a close friend. Both of them are obese, and my take is that they both feel threatened by the fact that I made the decision to control my eating and get healthy. Both relationships are now very strained as a result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand the frustration. See if you can stop the conversation loops by changing the subject of conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea ppl get threatened easily especially obese ppl they always change the subject whenever I talk about my achievements :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, people get used to the obese image of you. They often as much dysmorphia about you as we have about ourselves. Also quick weight loss can often make us look haggard in the face for a while till we kinda re-apportion. So she may be talking about that. But, it is A-OK, to maintain and appoint boundaries! Things that are off limits. You just need to lovingly work with her to understand those new boundaries. :) Hang in there. The phase will pass but yeah, it is frustrating!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fluffychick, I am so happy to hear that this haggard look might go away. I had a neighbor tell me I needed to go home and rest that I looked so tired! 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Lynda486 said:

Fluffychick, I am so happy to hear that this haggard look might go away. I had a neighbor tell me I needed to go home and rest that I looked so tired! 😊

I've seen it many times! It has to do with how quickly we're losing weight! Just look at some of the vets photos. Do they look haggard? Nope. Once you get to the bottom of your window and maintenance and are taking in plenty of fluids and your normal maintenance nutrition, your "look" does change.

(I am still haggard however cuz you know...I'm old. :D)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is good convo i have been told i look a lot older and you look so tired you really are showing your age since you lost weight that **** makes you feel good (not so much) haggared i have been told as well i just say its me today tomorrow i will look different again so how will i look when you see me next time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

(I am still haggard however cuz you know...I'm old. :D)

Ha, me too! (54)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, I think about the incidents in this thread and I'm still pre-op. Am I going to keep my baby face? Are these breast going to be pancakes? Will my friends be able to accept me not morbidly obese and not hate on me? Are ppl going to think I'm sick? My surgery is a private matter and not an open discussion, just like my obesity isn't the subject of the hour either. At least not with me as a willing participant or in my spectrum of hearing you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Krimsonbutterflies said:

Damn, I think about the incidents in this thread and I'm still pre-op. Am I going to keep my baby face? Are these breast going to be pancakes? Will my friends be able to accept me not morbidly obese and not hate on me? Are ppl going to think I'm sick? My surgery is a private matter and not an open discussion, just like my obesity isn't the subject of the hour either. At least not with me as a willing participant or in my spectrum of hearing you.

Well....I'll be candid. When I was fat, I was always taken for about ten years younger than I was, but now people guess my true age (60). It has a lot to do with the "haggard" look caused by sagging skin after the weight loss.

I told almost nobody about my surgery. When I met friends whom I hadn't seen in a long time, some of them didn't talk about my weight loss because they thought I was sick. (I did survive cancer a few years ago, so I think some people were afraid it had come back.) I now proactively tell friends that my weight loss was intentional--and it was the result of lots of hard work on my part (which is definitely true).

I'll let the women on the forum address the pancake boob issue. I can say that my former man-boobs sag down to the bottom of my rib cage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So glad I’m not the only one hearing these types of comments. Today she told me I walk differently. What the ... I’ve always walked with purpose - I’ve never been a stroller. But then soles of my feet don’t ache as much either when I wear heels now.
I’m just about passed the haggard face look. Six weeks ago my chicky babe girlfriends asked if I was really ok & if I was getting in all my nutrients because I looked so drawn but they think I’m looking much better now. Plus I think all the collagen, silica & RF treatments are starting to show results. Whoo hoo.

I too was always told I look years younger than my 54 yrs & while I think I look more my age I still look like the youngest in my family & not the eldest. Recently a 20yr old asked how was I going through menopause. I said well because I’m in my fifties. She gasped & said she thought I was in my early 40s. Yay! Still winning!

Yeah saggy, deflated boobies are not attractive but good supportive underwear get them back up to where theY should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Recidivist said:

Well....I'll be candid. When I was fat, I was always taken for about ten years younger than I was, but now people guess my true age (60). It has a lot to do with the "haggard" look caused by sagging skin after the weight loss.

I told almost nobody about my surgery. When I met friends whom I hadn't seen in a long time, some of them didn't talk about my weight loss because they thought I was sick. (I did survive cancer a few years ago, so I think some people were afraid it had come back.) I now proactively tell friends that my weight loss was intentional--and it was the result of lots of hard work on my part (which is definitely true).

I'll let the women on the forum address the pancake boob issue. I can say that my former man-boobs sag down to the bottom of my rib cage.

Thank you for your candid response. I've always looked younger than my age, even when I was skinny. Hopefully I can maintain my youthful appearance, while getting healthy. I will get a breast lift or something if needed. I'm going to look into the collagen and etc. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

So glad I’m not the only one hearing these types of comments. Today she told me I walk differently. What the ... I’ve always walked with purpose - I’ve never been a stroller. But then soles of my feet don’t ache as much either when I wear heels now.
I’m just about passed the haggard face look. Six weeks ago my chicky babe girlfriends asked if I was really ok & if I was getting in all my nutrients because I looked so drawn but they think I’m looking much better now. Plus I think all the collagen, silica & RF treatments are starting to show results. Whoo hoo.

I too was always told I look years younger than my 54 yrs & while I think I look more my age I still look like the youngest in my family & not the eldest. Recently a 20yr old asked how was I going through menopause. I said well because I’m in my fifties. She gasped & said she thought I was in my early 40s. Yay! Still winning!

Yeah saggy, deflated boobies are not attractive but good supportive underwear get them back up to where theY should be.

Still winning!!!! I love your approach and yes deflated breast are like dry roadkill in my mind. Going to get a lot of supportive bras, but during the rapid transition process, would good sports bras be okay? A great bra is expensive, any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even during transition, get a supportive, well fitting bra. Sports bras will work but get fitted. You don’t want to add to the saggy baggy boobs by wearing loose bras too. Only buy a couple (one you’re wearing & one in the wash) and look out for sales & special deals. After suffering back pain from my too large & non supportive bras, I splurged on some new (though pricey) much prettier underwear. Made me feel & look better & no more back pain. Just had to buy another lot of new underwear in a smaller size. I’ve gone from 18F to 14F to 10 FF/G. Hopefully that should be it now. Donated my too big bras to St Vinnies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Krestel

      Officially no longer over weight! Goal #1 reached! I'm now under 80kgs (176 lbs) at 179cm (5'10") and 10 months post-op and am over the moon. My weight at 79.9 kgs (176 lbs) gives me a BMI of 24.9 which means that I have a normal weight! OMG.
      I still want to lose about 16 lbs more though in order to get safely into the middle range to insure against that little regain that happens. The I have maintenence in front of me as well.
      BUT I have hit my first goal. Yeah me!!!
      · 1 reply
      1. biginjapan

        Fantastic! That's such a great goal to reach and one I hope to get to this year as well.

    • TWCook

      I had my gastric sleeve done September 10, 2020... I started out 330# before surgery.... I'm down to 260# now... I've been stalled out for over two months now.... I exercise when I can (Bad back/knees)... I follow my diet , get my protein and drink my water... But still not losing any weight... I've done everything I can think of to break the stall.... Even went back to liquid diet....  Sometimes I think this was a mistake having the surgery...
      · 1 reply
      1. Boss lady84

        sorry to hear that don't feel down. Maybe a reset meaning something new. I am in the process of having the surgery a second time. I had Lapland in 2012 removed in 2018 and I have gained everything back and some. When I stalled on lapband I had to do something new for me I joined a free boot camp and Zumba and then boom dropped 38 pounds in 2 months. I know you said bad back and knees so find something with your limits. But I think try something new I stalled for 8 months

    • Arabesque

      Happy anniversary to me - well almost. Friday marks the one yr anniversary of asking my GP if she thought I’d be a candidate for WLS.  
      What an exciting, sometimes frustrating but ultimately rewarding journey. I’ve lost 40kg or about 40% of my body weight & am below my goal weight. Some days I  just can’t believe where I am now from where I was 12 months ago. I never imagined this reality. 
      I am grateful for the encouragement I received from family & friends. I am grateful I have a supportive GP. They helped smooth the rough patches & kept me on track. I’m also grateful for this site. The information & support has been so helpful & eased many worries. 
      I’m still sorting out maintenance (what works one week doesn’t the next) but I’m up for the challenge. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Tierra T Tij

      Too much anxiety and stress:
      So lately thanks to COVID 19 (I don't have it though been trying to stay safe and healthy) I've been having severe anxiety and panic attacks lately. I've always had this problem but it's getting worse so as a result I've been having bad insomnia and getting sleep is hard for me right now. I wish it were easier but it's a work in progress AGAIN. I thought I got over this hump a while ago and was getting sleep but now my insomnia is back in full spring and I hate it! My grandmother is also moving on Tuesday and that is also stressing me out because I'll have no family nearby since everybody is in other states now thanks to California being too high. It makes me so sad man! But I am seeing her today on Monday for the last time before she leaves on Tuesday this week.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Sabs211

      Gastric bypass 16/03/2020
      HW 400
      Weight before surgery 291
      CW 280
      GW 150
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×