Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Month Anniversary

Today is exactly 1 month for me and I am down 20 lbs. I feel kinda blah about that. I was definitely expecting more. Most of the weight loss came the first week I lost 12 lbs. So it has been really slow weight loss after that. I thought I understood this whole process but I guess I don't. I am feeling discouraged at the moment. Sorry to ramble along.

Sent from my LM-X420 using BariatricPal mobile app

Unless you're the size of someone on "My 600 lb Life", that 20 lb loss is pretty average. Most "normal" WLS patients lose about 15-25 lbs the first month, so you're right on target. I lost 16 lbs my first month, and I started out at over 300 lbs (and I ended up losing all my excess weight).

I can see how you feel discouraged. My first week just passed and already I'm noticing the slow down. Which sucks as I was hoping it would stay high and fast for the first month or two. Or year.

That said, you lost 8 pounds in THREE weeks! Most diets only promise a pound a week. 2.6 pounds a week is still something to be happy about. At this rate, by May you'll be down another 70 ish pounds! Just in time for swimsuit weather.

That's about average.. I'll be 1 month post op tomorrow and I'm down 27lbs thus far :)

7 hours ago, Lynnbushea said:

Today is exactly 1 month for me and I am down 20 lbs. I feel kinda blah about that. I was definitely expecting more. Most of the weight loss came the first week I lost 12 lbs. So it has been really slow weight loss after that. I thought I understood this whole process but I guess I don't. I am feeling discouraged at the moment. Sorry to ramble along.

You're doing pretty well, Congratulations 💙

I lost 22 lbs in the first month, which I thought was really fast, and was at goal in 7 months. 20 pounds is great! You are right on track. You absolutely cannot compare with anyone else. Your journey is unique and individual to YOU. Getting on an exercise routine is also important. Hopefully, you are getting at least 30 minutes of walking every day.

Usually WLS patients tend to stall around week 3 to 4. I did for sure. Make sure you are getting your Water in and walking. I am 10 weeks out and I started upping my calories as best I could. I am still only getting from 400 to 775 a day. I am concentrating on getting my water and Protein in.

HERE I GO AGAIN = STOP WEIGHING YOURSELF ALL THE TIME YOU ARE GOING TO BE IN A VEST THAT BUCKLES FROM THE BACK WITH PADDED WALLS!

Enjoy the journey, The goal was to get healthy ... lets put this in perspective go find a 20 pound bag of sand and carry it around all day, Kinda Hard, that is what you have accomplished already you took 20 pounds of fat and unhealthy lifestyle and got rid of it. FYI you body thanks you .... You also are getting more healthy thru proper nutrition!

I have done this post before - weigh in twice a month but just focus on getting healthy and happy, the weight is going to fall off = No way it can't if you are on plan.

Enjoy the journey

@AJ Tylo ... carrying around a 20 lb sand bag really puts it in perspective, thanks for that ... gave me the boost I needed. And @Lynnbushea hang in there, you are doing great ... you got this!!

15 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

Unless you're the size of someone on "My 600 lb Life", that 20 lb loss is pretty average. Most "normal" WLS patients lose about 15-25 lbs the first month, so you're right on target. I lost 16 lbs my first month, and I started out at over 300 lbs (and I ended up losing all my excess weight).

Watched every episode of my 600. lol Great show. Those staple lines look like zippers. lol The scale doesn't lie !

HERE I GO AGAIN = STOP WEIGHING YOURSELF ALL THE TIME YOU ARE GOING TO BE IN A VEST THAT BUCKLES FROM THE BACK WITH PADDED WALLS!

Enjoy the journey, The goal was to get healthy ... lets put this in perspective go find a 20 pound bag of sand and carry it around all day, Kinda Hard, that is what you have accomplished already you took 20 pounds of fat and unhealthy lifestyle and got rid of it. FYI you body thanks you .... You also are getting more healthy thru proper nutrition!
I have done this post before - weigh in twice a month but just focus on getting healthy and happy, the weight is going to fall off = No way it can't if you are on plan.
Enjoy the journey
@AJ Tylo [emoji38]. That was totally hilarious and also true. I am so happy I belong to this site. You all are so supportive and give that extra push when needed. Thank you all so much!!!!

I was one month post-op on Friday and today I'm down 40 since surgery. Keep it up and you'll do fine!

Also I disagree with AJ - weighing often, if not daily, has been found to help people trying to lose weight be more successful in losing and keeping it off. With as little as we eat there is direct correlation to small changes we make in our diet and our weight the next day. Eat more carbs one day or too much salt? You'll see it on the scale. And, other than taking measurements, weighing ourselves is the only way to track progress on the whole reason we had this surgery - for weight loss!!

All that said, if it's making you crazy then by all means, weigh in once a week. Personally I want all the data I can get so I weigh every day, sometimes twice a day. And I'm down 40 in a month. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by lvidacovich

15 minutes ago, lvidacovich said:

I was one month post-op on Friday and today I'm down 40 since surgery. Keep it up and you'll do fine!

Also I disagree with AJ - weighing often, if not daily, has been found to help people trying to lose weight be more successful in losing and keeping it off. With as little as we eat there is direct correlation to small changes we make in our diet and our weight the next day. Eat more carbs one day or too much salt? You'll see it on the scale. And, other than taking measurements, weighing ourselves is the only way to track progress on the whole reason we had this surgery - for weight loss!!

All that said, if it's making you crazy then by all means, weigh in once a week. Personally I want all the data I can get so I weigh every day, sometimes twice a day. And I'm down 40 in a month. 🤷‍♂️

40 lbs in a month is A LOT for average WLS patients. Some people do it, but they're definitely outliers. You see that more often in people who start at sky high BMI's. So you're lucky!! Congratulations!