Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where do you all get your energy?!!

Bright,

I understand the nervousness you have. But Dublin must have someone who can do your fills with flouroscopy? Don't let them fill you immediately post band. Wait two months and then have a fill. In the beginning, you won't need one. You may never need one. But be sure when you do, that you research how fills are supposed to be and what is to be expected.

Today, I had to go to the hospital to have a 2nd fill. The first one did not work at 1.25 CC. I felt less restricted than before I went. I called my doctor to order the second and it was then that they told me that it is possible that the first radiologist did not remove the air bubbles which would mean that my restriction would be limited. SO they decided that rather than go to the same hospital and radiologist, they would send an order to a clinic here in the area that specializes in band fills. I knew that my insurance would not cover this,, so I said, who at the hospital where my procedure occurred, knows how to do a proper fill?. They gave me one doctors name and I was scheduled with him. When I got to the hospital, it turns out he was on vacation for a week and no one told me! I did not want the previous guy touching me, so I asked for a different person. I then explained to the radiologist how I wanted it to be done (whole other discussion...) minus the air bubbles, with the needle still in me when I did the barium swallow so in the event it was not enough he would be able to add more saline. I am happy to say that I think it worked this time. I oculd feel the liquid as he put it in and felt restriction which I did not feel the first time. I am quietly sipping on my Atkins Protein shake now and will try to see if I can eat tonight.!!!!!

LESSON:::

BE EDUCATED! Since all my fills will have to be done at the hospital under flouroscopy and it is hard to determine what level of experience each person has, know what a good fill is and know what it feels like. Dont be scared, just do your homework!!!

Babs in TX

6/23/03

-37 and counting

As far as I know there isn't anyone in Ireland who does - when I have a surgery date I am going to see my GP (family doctor) and see if she know's anything about it. I have printed out loads of stuff for her, so if there ever is an emergency at least she will have an idea what could be up!

I have no intention of getting filled too soon - at the moment I am talking to two surgeons and haven't decided which one to go with and am taking my time researching them. England isn't too far away and flights aren't too expensive - my husband travels a lot for work so we have tons of air miles - and I intend to use them - being healthy with this band is going to be very important to me. Even if someone here in Dublin offered to do the fills, I don't think I'd trust them - i presume I won't need more than three (if even???) and i'd prefer an expert to do it. The surgeons include in the price package the first follow up visit and first fill AND any surgery that may arise from twisted or slipped port or whatever!

However, I am relying very heavily on talking to people like yourself online for how things really are - I print every thing out and read it before going to be! I have quite the band bible here already!

thanks for your kind interest Babs,

hope you're over your traumatic fill experience by now - must feel great to have lost almost forty pounds! wow!

take care

Hi Bright!

I've been reading your thread with interest! I'm English, living in Paris, (married to a Belgian) banded 4 weeks ago and have lost 8kg so far - with no exercise (apart from a couple of sessions of badminton with my kids - one of whom is just 5, so it wasn't that strenous apart from searching for lost shuttlecocks!)

I just wondered, I read on another board recently that lapband operations are much cheaper in France (around 4,000 Euros) and there are many doctors who do them. I got mine done on the social security here, because morbid obesity is taken very seriously here (how many fat French women have you seen!). It might be worth investigating having the surgery done here, particularly if you speak French. Also, Ryannair fly cheap flights to Paris daily!

Just a thought!

Good luck with everything and above all, don't worry!

Sarah

PS: I didn't have to follow any pre-op diet and no one mentioned anything about Slimfast. I was NIL BY MOUTH from midnight onwards and was given a natural yoghurt (with sugar!) and clear broth for dinner at 6pm, having been operated at 10.30 am that day. Since the op. I was advised to eat around 100 grammes of either yoghourt or fruit puree for a week (but I adapted this to include hot home-made vegetable Soup, fresh fruit smoothies and cold gazpacho - all of which can be whizzed up in a blender/liquidizer. Added to this, I had a small individual portion of Boursin or a Diarylea, just to make life worth living. After 2-3 weeks I started experimenting with the odd piece of French toast (!) and small pieces of cubed cooked chicken. No problems so far.:rolleyes:

hey Sarah

thanks so much for your post - it's so brilliant reading and hearing from everyone on this board but sometimes it's a little overwhelming not to "speak" american - as in knowing the brand names and dealing with imperial measures instead of metric - great to hear from a european!

Having the sugery in Paris is a brilliant idea - i hadn't thought of that - would you be able to send me your surgeons web page (or email address or phone number?) I would be so grateful - i must start looking it up on the web...

The diet sheet on my surgeons web page also doesn't mention Protein Shakes or Meal Replacement - and suggests porridge or ready-brek for Breakfast after two weeks - I have already trying to stick to a post-op diet and think one weetabix with warm skim milk and a light baby-bel would be both nutritious, low fat and protein-full - what do you think?

I don't want to live my life drinking shakes and/or potions but i guess for the first few weeks they are necessary for helping with healing and nutritious too.

I was in Boots today, and found a "Sanatagen" powder - used for recovery from illness etc, and it's very high in protein/low in carbs so i thought I'd try that - it can be made into a warm drink or put into Soups etc. I'm going to eat lots of yogurt too which i love!

Your weight loss is fantastic - you must be thrilled! Was the sugery ok?

thanks for getting in touch - take care!

Wow! What a great thread going here!!

Babs, I live in Weatherford, so if you go visit Bright in Ireland, can my wife and I tag along? Wouldn't that be fun!! By the way, what doctor and hospital do/did you use?

Bright, the fills, as I've discovered, are VERY individualized. I was told after surgery that I was VERY restricted and might never need a fill, but two weeks later, was already becoming unrestricted. Had my first fill a week later, and it did a little bit, but not much. I'm in the process of scheduling a second one. Some people never need one, some need 6-7!! So be sure you plan on the unknown, if that's possible! My fill was very easy and uneventful, but just didn't do the trick yet. I'm trying to be patient, but it's difficult! I'm hungry a lot now and eating too much. But I'm also told by experienced bandsters to just wait for proper restriction before I get too worried. I really think the doctors should stress that some people need to plan on waiting until several fills are complete before the REAL weight loss will start! I sort of thought I'd come out of surgery and hit the ground running on the wt. loss, but it isn't so with me. Lost a lot the first week, then it's slowed down considerably. So....just be prepared for ANYTHING, but know it WILL eventually work!!

Let's keep up the great thread!!

Larry, Bright, Sarah

Larry: My office used to be in Weatherfordright across from Texas bank in the square. I moved it to NRH after having a baby, so I could be closer to home. ONe of the late life kids..... also helped me to sock on an extra 52 lbs ( or 24 kilos for Bright)!!

Sarah: What a great idea!! I had not thought about France for the surgery, but you are absolutely correct. I find that some of the English doc's are conservative and a little resistant to change. THe French have a very laissez faire approach to all of this and I imagine with the low population of overweight French, it could be very uncomfortable being obese there, so surgery to them is not a radical thing and fills/adjustments should be easy to find in Paris. I used to go shopping in Paris (not for clothes I might add) and the sizes range from small to very small.!!

Bright - What a great idea to have your surgery in France. I recently saw a web site for a French firm who handles banding in a package deal. I wish I could find it.... Ill keep trying to remember where I saw it and forward to you.!!!

By the way, based on your photo you have a beautiful face and great spirit. Just think what will happen when you walk into a room a year from now. Jaws will drop!!!!! Your husband will have to keep hordes of chaps away from you!!! BB

Hi Bright

I was operated on by Dr Philippe Marre, who also operated on the friend who introduced me to this type of surgery (who went from 112 kg to 54 kg in 18 months and looks fabulous!). He has also operated on several patients referred by my GP and has carried out many, many lapband operations (a lapband is known as an 'anneau gastrique' in France).

He doesn't have a webpage, but he is listed on the following website, which lists all the surgeons in France performing bariatric surgery:

http://www.sofco.asso.fr/membres.html

I notice that this site doesn't give the phone number, but here it is: 00 33 1 39 17 21 00. This will get you through to the receptionists, who probably don't speak English. I'm not sure if Dr Marre does......

My surgery was fine. I was very nervous beforehand, but it was really ok. I was admitted on the Sunday evening, spent Monday doing every x-ray, scan, test imaginable, was operated on Tuesday morning at 10.30 and was awake in my room at around 1pm. After one session on a bedpan, I got up to go to the loo around midnight and next day was walking around fine. I left hospital the following morning. Two days later, I was at the supermarket, having driven there in my car (I wasn't on my own, though!). So, compared to my 2 cesarians, it really was much better). Now, 4 weeks on, I hardly realise I've had the surgery!

I never thought about Protein shakes or Meal Replacements - I think it's better to stick to real food (my personal opinion). I think Weetabix sounds great, but I would lay off the sugar perhaps.....maybe Canderelle? This is pre-op, mind. After the operation, you shouldn't feel hungry and it's then that the Protein over carbs would be good (Weetabix is, mostly carbohydrate, which turns into sugar really fast!). A typical Breakfast for me is one Ryvita with a teaspoon of low sugar jam and a natural yoghurt.

I haven't had any headaches or kidney pain problems like I did with the Atkins diet (my last ditch attempt before the lapband) and I feel perfectly normal with enough energy to look after the house, kids, shopping, garden, etc.

Anyway, I hope this helps! Good luck on your weight loss journey!

Keep in touch!

Sarah

Hi BBrecruiter2000!

Yep, you're so right about clothes shopping in France! I usually buy clothes in England, when I'm visiting family, or buy men's polo shirts at sports warehouses! I'm seriously looking forward to the day when I can walk into any shop and buy what I want rather than what fits!

The final crunch came for me when we wanted to take the kids skiing - something I did quite a bit when younger. I couldn't find anything to fit - even at Decathlon (mega French sports warehouse). In the men's section I could get the waist size, but I'd have needed to be 10 feet tall....................aagggh!

Anyway, hopefully, by next February (skiing season here), I'll be able to get an all-in-one and actually accompany my kids on the slopes!

TTFN,

Sarah

Sarah ~ I can't thank you enough - what brilliant information! I'm going to look up that website asap - better brush up on french!

And yeah, i guess, weetabix is a carb - better rethink that - ryvita sounds good.

I am so fed up with being exhausted and sluggish all the time - i don't just want to be thin - i really want to be strong and healthy too and live til i'm 100!

Larry ~ gosh i didn't think it could be up to seven fills! I'm shocked! I'm sorry you're still hungry and feeling frustrated - I guess it takes a while to settle down but from reading most of the other posts here, i have no doubt that you will find your correct magical fill level and begin to see results.

Oh and you and Marcia are definitely invited to visit me too! Did i mention I live only a few miles from the beautiful Tara? And the famous megalithic tomb Newgrange? http://www.knowth.com/newgrange.htm (check it out here!) Not to mention the amazing city of Dublin a few miles the other way! (the advantage of living in a country only 300 miles long!)

Anyway enough of my bit for the tourist office!

Babs ~ I almost cried when i read your post! It's been so long since anyone complemented me! My mother died this year at a young age (57), and she used to constantly tut tut at me and give me the "you could be so lovely" line - I really regret not getting my weight down while she was alive so this is what motivated me to go for the lap band....

thank you so much - you're a pet xx

(god sorry for the length of this everyone! No more pages of waffle i promise!) :rolleyes::D :D

me again! Sorry!

just reading you guys talking about clothes - there is a brilliant german store called Ulla Popken at www.ullapopken.de which does large size clothes - miraculously they have not one but TWO stores in Ireland and it's where i get most of my clothes - even tho the store is near me i still get most of the clothes from the website - they deliver any where quite reasonably and the clothes are of great quality and pretty cool too sometimes - they have lots of stores in france and the states too - you can pick your country on the website!

Hey Bright!

Thanks for the info on the clothes.......I'll check out the website!

If you need any help with the French, just ask!

TTFN,

Sarah

PS: I hope you DO live to be at least 100!

Hi Babs (now realised what your name is....)

I've just been reading upthread and noticed you talked about a barium swallow and fill.

Tell me, I'm due to have a barium swallow x-ray on Monday - but no-one mentioned a fill. I am due to talk to the surgeon on Wednesday. Do you always need to do the barium stuff and fill combined or do they do fills separately?

I'm beginning to think I perhaps do need a fill (I'm 4 weeks post band and do feel hunger and don't feel any restriction so far) and wondered whether it's time to ask!

I have lost around 17.5 lbs (8 kg) since the op. but I do feel like I'm on a diet and am having to make a mental effort to be careful what I eat. I 'think' I could eat a lot more than I do, but I'm not pushing it because I don't want to throw up (I just hate that!). I'd love to be in the position my friend was (the one that halved her bodyweight) - she said she was never hungry.

Anyway, if you (or anyone else) have any ideas, do let me know!

Thanks!

Sarah

PS: Bright, don't let my whinge put you off......I'm sure it's a matter of adjustment!

Bright:

I just wanted you to know that I am absolutely sure you are beautiful without the lapband and the weight loss. I know lots of people have said to me in the past that I would be stunning if I dropped the weight. I know how that can sting, so I guess I did not want you to misinterpret me which is easy to do on the internet. I had a boyfriend dump me many years ago and told me he would take me back when I weighed 75 kilos or less. Its a shame your mother died so young, but I am absolutely sure she loved you just the way you are today.

Sarah:

Regarding the fill, most of the Lapband surgeons do the fills in their office and do not need x-rays or flouroscopy to find and inject the port with saline.

My doc tried 6 times and could not do it because my port is at an angle and he does not have these facilities in his office. The first time I went to my doc, there were 20 other people in the office for fills. Of the 20, three were sent to the hospital. THe others left with their fills.

Unfortunately, at the hospital, the radiologist I had did not have a personality, nor had he done many fills. (maybe 25 or so). He gave me 1.25 CC, but he did not remove the air bubbles. Harmless to everyone, but not good as far as restriction is concerned. I had to go back last week to the same hospital, different radiologist. I told him how I wanted it done! First, find the port. Second, remove the saline from my first fill as much as possible. Then inject new saline 1.75 CC. Remove all air bubble to insure only liquid is in band. While needle is still in, do the barium swallow to make sure it is adequate restriction. Then remove needle and I do another barium swallow completing standing up.

Well, it works. I have great restriction, but I am still able to eat about 5 ounces of food at a sitting. Had trouble with a hamburger today, but I was able to eat soft chicken SLOWLY>>>

So to answer your question, if you have an experienced surgeon and your port is not in a strange position, fill can be done in less than 5 minutes in your doctors office without flouroscopy or X-ray.

It is also possible that your surgeon might have these facilities in his office, so you would not need to go to the hospital to have it done.

Babs in TX

-37lbs and counting

Bright,

From what I've read, it's NOT common to have seven fills, but some people have the type of band that holds 9 ccs of liquid as opposed to 4, so it takes more fills. Then there are doctors who will only fill with 0.5 cc at a time, so even the 4 cc bands take more fills to get proper restriction. Didn't mean to scare you!! The more I read, the more I realize how INDIVIDUALIZED this can all be! Some never need a fill, most need a few fills, a rare few people need many fills. So I've just learned to do what is right for ME and not compare myself to what others have done as far as fills. Maybe you'll get lucky and not need many :rolleyes: !!

Larry ~ thanks for that - i wasn't really scared - more worried about all the flights i'd have to take to get fills!

I'm going to my regular gp this week and ask her if she knows anything about the lap band - maybe someone here can do them for me.....sounds like Babs had to train her guy in anyway - maybe I can do that!

Sarah ~ thanks a mil for the offer of help with my french - I may need you to! I sent off an email to some surgeons in Brussels too after you set me thinking about Europe - seem Belgium is where a lot of the lap band surgery was perfected and they are more english speaking than france!

Have you guys told people about the surgery? At this moment I haven't told anyone - i will prob tell my best friend and my husband of course (since he'll be writing the cheque!!!:rolleyes: ). I don't think i'm going to tell my family - can't see them being very supportive and i guess i'm pretty ashamed of my self that I don't have massive will power and need surgery to make me stop eating!

anyway - take care everyone