Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Austin, Texas - how did you choose your surgeon?

Thinking about converting to a bypass and an wanting to know how you all chose your surgeon....SPECIFICALLY people that are located here in Central Texas/Austin area. What did you all look for in a surgeon, hospital, etc.? Anyone who has gone from a sleeve to a bypass what words of wisdom do you have for someone who is thinking about it?

I have reflux that is pretty bad - didn't have so bad before surgery but within the past 1-2 years it's gotten really bad to where i'm taking too many tums every day along with prilosec every day. Just thinking through things though. Have a diaphragmatic hernia, have altered my diet, changed sleeping patterns and positions, changed medications, lost a few lbs, etc. Often waking up at night because of reflux aspiration - unpleasant.

Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions, perspectives and thoughts!!

I live in Central Texas and my surgeon was Dr. David Provost at Baylor Scott and White in Temple. He is a bariatric surgery pioneer in TX and has been doing bariatric surgery for many years. After meeting him and checking his credentials (I am a nurse practitioner so I investigate every health care provider I see 🙄) I felt very comfortable with him and had absolutely no post op complications. I had the sleeve in May 2018 since I never had any significant reflux.

I think the reflux is the main reason people get conversion since you don't want to be on prilosec long term and you don't want chronic inflammation of your esophagus. There are a couple of others on here in maintenance who had the sleeve converted to bypass and have done very well so hopefully one of them will respond.

Edited by MIZ60

Did you have any luck finding a surgeon in Austin?

Where you able to find a surgeon in the CTX/ Austin area?

I am also an NP here in Austin and when I decided to have surgery I asked several other friends at work who they used. I chose Southwest Bariatric Surgeons - Dr Eric Atcheson who performed my outpatient robotic gastric sleeve at Seton Ascension Williamson Medical Center. Post op went smoothly and I am very happy with how I am recovering. Dr Atcheson has a wonderful bedside manner and his staff are awesome!!

I definitely agree Dr. Eric Atcheson did my surgery as well and he such a great doctor. He makes sure you know every thing that you ask or don’t ask he and his staff is nice and informative. I’m glad I got my surgery through him.

I just had my first consult with Dr. Christopher Bailey. He is associated with Austin Regional Clinic (ARC). He was highly recommended. He is extremely knowledgeable and has great credentials. Hope you found someone!