Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New... question about psych evaluation

So I’m not sure what the process is for the psych evaluation just that I will be having one. Can anyone tell me what their experience was? I have taken meds for anxiety and depression during a really rough patch but nothing in a couple years.

Btw my phone makes this all black on black so please forgive any typos!

I had a psych eval for my band, which was just talking to a counselor for about 30 minutes and that was it.

My psych eval for my revision involved 3 different paper tests having around 300 questions total and then I sat and talked to a psychologist for about an hour. His questions mostly revolved around whether I was a binge eater, emotional eater, what changes I have made to ensure I will be successful in combating boredom eating and bad habits. He also wanted to know what support systems I had in place. He did ask a little bit about my family history and my past, but didn't go into it in great deal. I am currently on an anti-depressant and I was cleared with no problem.

While my first eval was much easier than my second one, both evals were pretty relaxed and easy to go through. Some doctors will bring you back for more than one evaluation, so it's possible that could happen with yours. With my most recent psych eval I was warned they usually do three visits, but I was cleared on my first one.

Good luck!

I, too, was wondering what it was going to be like. I have my appointment in November. Thanks @SorryNameTaken for sharing your experience. I hope mine goes that easily as well. I'm currently taking depression and anxiety meds so I hope that isn't an issue. Gosh, I hope I can come off of them after surgery. That would be truly wonderful.

I had my psych evaluation in September it’s over 350 true and false statements majority of it is repeated but phrased differently. Emotional state of mind whether if you are a happy person or not and if you are the type who would quickly to do harm to self and others. One thing I have found none of the questions had nothing to do with the surgery. Just your frame of mind

Was a joke my view - It is a cover your ass the doctor and insurance companies do. They ask you a series of questions to make sure you are mentally able to make this decision. Now I see dead people and definitely have a screw loose and I passed. Just kidding

They also have to make sure you can deal with the Head issues that come full blown with the surgery.

My surgery was stopped indefinitely by the psychologist after losing 50 lbs and passing all med tests. what shold I do ? verry upsetting, they gave no explanation other than we dont think you will follow the diet.

1 hour ago, AJ Tylo said:

Was a joke my view - It is a cover your ass the doctor and insurance companies do. They ask you a series of questions to make sure you are mentally able to make this decision. Now I see dead people and definitely have a screw loose and I passed. Just kidding

They also have to make sure you can deal with the Head issues that come full blown with the surgery.

stated perfectly.

I only had like 50 questions and 30 mins video meeting with psychiatrist. easy!

Yeah, I had to do the questionnaire as well, and then a Skype video chat with the person doing the psych eval interview. Easy peasy!

Paper tests and discussion about motivation, triggers, and warning signs to watch for after ward. She told me all about transfer addiction, which I had never known about. This has been really helpful, because I have found myself wanting to shop impulsively lately. I remember what she said and can recognize that I just want an endorphin high like I used to get from food. We also talked about creative outlets and other ways to deal with food addiction/desire to eat, in healthy ways. I found the session to be very informative and helpful.

Sounds like there's a pretty wide variance in what consists of a psych eval. lol I'm pretty blunt and to the point, so should be pretty easy.

5 hours ago, Billy Bob said:

My surgery was stopped indefinitely by the psychologist after losing 50 lbs and passing all med tests. what shold I do ? verry upsetting, they gave no explanation other than we dont think you will follow the diet.

I'm sorry yours has been stopped. I don't have any advice, other than contact the doctor and ask questions. See if there's a different psychologist you can see, or maybe if some therapy would help.

Thank you .

Love seeing all these responses, I guess it will depend on who the doctor is as to what kind of testing they do to see if you're mentally ready for the surgery. I know some of the triggers not to say, like 'I had an eating disorder back when ...' or 'I've thrown up after eating' or anything else that can be classified as an eating disorder or severe depression or thoughts of harming yourself. Answer as "vanilla" as you can.

I'm so sorry @Billy Bob that you had that experience. I agree you should call the doctor back and continue to ask questions until someone tells you what you need to do next in order to get your clearance. It may be some counseling or therapy or something easy like that for a few months that will bring on your clearance. Don't give up.

11 hours ago, FireEMT710 said:

Sounds like there's a pretty wide variance in what consists of a psych eval. lol I'm pretty blunt and to the point, so should be pretty easy.

2 hours ago, Machalo said:

Love seeing all these responses, I guess it will depend on who the doctor is as to what kind of testing they do to see if you're mentally ready for the surgery. I know some of the triggers not to say, like 'I had an eating disorder back when ...' or 'I've thrown up after eating' or anything else that can be classified as an eating disorder or severe depression or thoughts of harming yourself. Answer as "vanilla" as you can.

I'm so sorry @Billy Bob that you had that experience. I agree you should call the doctor back and continue to ask questions until someone tells you what you need to do next in order to get your clearance. It may be some counseling or therapy or something easy like that for a few months that will bring on your clearance. Don't give up.

See my PCP today , I was to secure/honest and possibly flippent in my answers. THe eval was done in April. Wish I knew then what I know now. I may have unwittingly admitted to binge eating or other behavior considered an eating disorder. It may be some counseling or therapy or something easy like that for a few months . I will try to find out today. Thx

5 hours ago, Billy Bob said:

See my PCP today , I was to secure/honest and possibly flippent in my answers. THe eval was done in April. Wish I knew then what I know now. I may have unwittingly admitted to binge eating or other behavior considered an eating disorder. It may be some counseling or therapy or something easy like that for a few months . I will try to find out today. Thx

Thanks for sharing!!! I'm concerned that if I admit to binge eating that the psych will deny me too. Was is the psych that denied you or the insurance company?