Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone I'm new here I'm supposed to be having gastric bypass surgery done soon but I don't know if i should. Because I am a food addict and I fear I will regain. Started looking into wls over a year ago n actually gain about 20lbs!!! Why do something if you're are going to fail right? I don't want to have my intestine rerouted to lose weight then gain it back like people on here. I need to loose a 100 pounds. Im over 230lbs scary

I need help.

I know I'm a food addict.

Hello everyone I'm new here I'm supposed to be having gastric bypass surgery done soon but I don't know if i should. Because I am a food addict and I fear I will regain. Started looking into wls over a year ago n actually gain about 20lbs!!! Why do something if you're are going to fail right? I don't want to have my intestine rerouted to lose weight then gain it back like people on here. I need to loose a 100 pounds. Im over 230lbs scary
I need help.

Lose%

What have you tried to address your food addiction? I think it is smart to address your issues before the surgery. As lots of people say, wls is only a tool. If you don’t have your addiction under control it surgery won’t fix it.

I have been struggling with emotional eating and binge eating disorder all my life. I haven’t had a classic binge in about 9 years now. I’ve been good about not eating my emotions for about 5 months. I go to therapy weekly and I used to go to overeaters anonymous. I did a couple programs offered by my health insurance too. It takes a lot of work to keep up.

I’m still struggling with the decision to do wls. I’m doing the pre-requirements now. I have several months to decide. If I don’t think my emotional eating is controlled I’m not going to do the surgery.

I wish you well on your path.

1 hour ago, foodie669 said:

fear I will regain. Why do something if you're are going to fail right? I don't want to have my

intestine rerouted to lose weight then gain it back. I need help.I know I'm a food addict.

@foodie669

always nice seeing and greeting new peep - welcome-welcome-welcome

ok, enough of the "pleasantries" LOL

i don't yell/trouble being mean!!, (wellll sometimes at DH) LOL, so i will now

give you my short and sweet version of tough love!!😉

EEEEEK, gotta change your negative thoughts!!! As of right now change your attitude- be optimistic/positive that you will be a sucess!! i'm a stranger, and

i know you will do great, i have confidence in you - you should feel the same confidence.

you shouldn't/can't go into the operating room figuring you are going to fail!!

follow all the rules from your NUT, doc - moderations et al - you will do great!

its ok to be scared and doubt yourself a "little" worry some about following all the rules, that might help keep you in tow (msp?)

watching yourself all the way. read more about the surgery. - read the

boards, ask questions - having WLS is a new way of life. You must be diligent with

all the rules, you CAN do this!!

knowledge is power

good luck

kathy

Kathy is Right- COMMITTMENT AND POWER IN YOUR ❤- and SUCCESS WILL BE AHEAD- NOT EASY BUT, OH SO, WORTH IT ALL!

I gained weight after my initial visit to the bariatric surgeon. I wanted to eat everything that I wouldn’t be able to eat after. I didn’t fail, it took me longer than most and I went through some things, but ultimately succeeded and feel better than I have in years. I did have to change everything about the way I was eating. Some people can just eat smaller portions of all the food and lose the weight, but I am not one of those people.

For me, getting the surgery was the help I needed. What if you succeed?

[mention=370697]foodie669[/mention]
always nice seeing and greeting new peep - welcome-welcome-welcome
ok, enough of the "pleasantries" LOL
i don't yell/trouble being mean!!, (wellll sometimes at DH) LOL, so i will now
give you my short and sweet version of tough love!![emoji6]
EEEEEK, gotta change your negative thoughts!!! As of right now change your attitude- be optimistic/positive that you will be a sucess!! i'm a stranger, and
i know you will do great, i have confidence in you - you should feel the same confidence.
you shouldn't/can't go into the operating room figuring you are going to fail!!
follow all the rules from your NUT, doc - moderations et al - you will do great!
its ok to be scared and doubt yourself a "little" worry some about following all the rules, that might help keep you in tow (msp?)
watching yourself all the way. read more about the surgery. - read the
boards, ask questions - having WLS is a new way of life. You must be diligent with
all the rules, you CAN do this!!
knowledge is power
good luck
kathy
Thank you for the tough love & responding I'll try my best to be positive. I have been reading and doing all the research about the surgery for about 7 months now. I've also been I'm very reading about people experiences and I also read a lot of people lost weight before the surgery. I have not that's why I feel like a failure already and said you won't work for me.

Kathy is Right- COMMITTMENT AND POWER IN YOUR [emoji173]- and SUCCESS WILL BE AHEAD- NOT EASY BUT, OH SO, WORTH IT ALL!
I know she's right but not losing weight and surgery is around the corner make me doubt myself I don't know if you understand what I mean but thanks.

I gained weight after my initial visit to the bariatric surgeon. I wanted to eat everything that I wouldn’t be able to eat after. I didn’t fail, it took me longer than most and I went through some things, but ultimately succeeded and feel better than I have in years. I did have to change everything about the way I was eating. Some people can just eat smaller portions of all the food and lose the weight, but I am not one of those people.

For me, getting the surgery was the help I needed. What if you succeed?
Thank you for being open and that's exactly how I feel like I'm trying to eat everything before surgery things i plan not to eat or in small quantity. I've gain about 13 pounds since my initial visit.

Have you seen a psychologist? I had to be evaluated prior to approval. I passed, but he did mention how he counsels patients prior to surgery. Maybe something you should consider?

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes I did see a psychologist and then they pass the exam, yeah maybe but my surgery is and if you days I don't really know if I should reschedule can I cancel maybe next year.

4 hours ago, foodie669 said:

I need help.

I personally feel that getting a GOOD therapist/counselor that works with people that have food addictions is critical.

You have done the 'first step' as the 12 step programs say and have admitted you have an addiction. This is ONLY my opinion, but when I had that same mindset that you openly and honestly admitted (and kudos for that!), I KNEW I was not yet ready for bariatric surgery no matter how many doctors in the past decade urged me to do it immediately. I also knew from long ago experiences with other addictions that I could "intentionally" make someone believe I'm ready OR..that someone, likely a counselor/therapist may pass me off as 'ready'..but I would not be.

Postponing surgery while you work on your journey is NOT giving up. In the end, I hope whatever decision is made, that you are at peace with it. We will all encourage you. Delaying does not mean NEVER. And am not sure how soon your surgery is slated for...if it is months away, you have time to get a little extra help..

This is different than just the normal fear of failure. I was NOT ready to give up my addiction until 7 or 8 months ago and that was after looking into overall..honestly it was 5 years with 3 of those spent on this board in silent mode.

People with addictions all have different 'bottoms' and for some ppl, they don't require hitting bottom. in order to realize that they were finally ready to do WHATEVER it took. Unfortunately, I was a stubborn/stuck in and loving and hating my addiction.

Could you have surgery even with how you are feeling and have some measure of success...well, there are ppl here who did. I feel like though...it would be what I call 'white knuckle' recovery. This journey is amazing but it can also be very hard, especially the first 3 to 6 months. I do know that an overwhelming huge majority ALL wish they had done it sooner. I am in that number. However, for whatever reason, I was not ready.

This also does NOT mean you cannot become ready faster than my stubborn self did! Seek out someone that works with food addictions, WLS and they are good at it. Find a great person who helps you challenge and overcome your current feelings of not being ready..and when you are ready, they will help you know that you are.

Edited by KarenLR75

On 09/28/2019 at 15:16, foodie669 said:

Thank you for being open and that's exactly how I feel like I'm trying to eat everything before surgery things i plan not to eat or in small quantity. I've gain about 13 pounds since my initial visit.

I gained 18 lbs, but I did get back to my original obese number after the two week pre-op diet. I followed it exactly because I didn’t want to die in surgery or have them not do the surgery due to my liver being enlarged. It has been over a year, but I still remember trying to sleep my way through the pre-op diet. It was hell then, but it is funny now. 😂. People on on this app got me through it.

I personally feel that getting a GOOD therapist/counselor that works with people that have food addictions is critical.
You have done the 'first step' as the 12 step programs say and have admitted you have an addiction. This is ONLY my opinion, but when I had that same mindset that you openly and honestly admitted (and kudos for that!), I KNEW I was not yet ready for bariatric surgery no matter how many doctors in the past decade urged me to do it immediately. I also knew from long ago experiences with other addictions that I could "intentionally" make someone believe I'm ready OR..that someone, likely a counselor/therapist may pass me off as 'ready'..but I would not be.
Postponing surgery while you work on your journey is NOT giving up. In the end, I hope whatever decision is made, that you are at peace with it. We will all encourage you. Delaying does not mean NEVER. And am not sure how soon your surgery is slated for...if it is months away, you have time to get a little extra help..
This is different than just the normal fear of failure. I was NOT ready to give up my addiction until 7 or 8 months ago and that was after looking into overall..honestly it was 5 years with 3 of those spent on this board in silent mode.
People with addictions all have different 'bottoms' and for some ppl, they don't require hitting bottom. in order to realize that they were finally ready to do WHATEVER it took. Unfortunately, I was a stubborn/stuck in and loving and hating my addiction.
Could you have surgery even with how you are feeling and have some measure of success...well, there are ppl here who did. I feel like though...it would be what I call 'white knuckle' recovery. This journey is amazing but it can also be very hard, especially the first 3 to 6 months. I do know that an overwhelming huge majority ALL wish they had done it sooner. I am in that number. However, for whatever reason, I was not ready.
This also does NOT mean you cannot become ready faster than my stubborn self did! Seek out someone that works with food addictions, WLS and they are good at it. Find a great person who helps you challenge and overcome your current feelings of not being ready..and when you are ready, they will help you know that you are.
Yes I agree with you 100%. They (my team) know that i gain weight but they seem not to care much about it & saying its ok I'll do better after surgery. But what if i dont? One minute I feel like I'm ready & the next I'm like i can't do this. I do feel like I need more time honestly to work on me before making this step. Then again I don't want to put if off n gain more weight & develop any weight related issue.sigh....

I gained 18 lbs, but I did get back to my original obese number after the two week pre-op diet. I followed it exactly because I didn’t want to die in surgery or have them not do the surgery due to my liver being enlarged. It has been over a year, but I still remember trying to sleep my way through the pre-op diet. It was hell then, but it is funny now. [emoji23]. People on on this app got me through it.
Well my surgery only do two day before surgery preop diet...but they did say try not to gain....Lol thanks for the laugh[emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]