Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vomiting for days - can't even keep down water

Hi there. I'm two months out from my surgery (July/16/2019) and I was doing great until about a week ago. Then I started vomiting unexpectedly. I've been very lucky up until then, as I had only been sick once from a food that didn't agree with me to that point. When I got sick last week, I took note as to what I had eaten, and it was nothing new. The next day I vomited even more. Last Sunday I was vomiting a lot and could hardly eat or drink anything without feeling sick. I called my surgery clinic office to tell them what was happening on Monday, and told them I had an appointment with my family doctor booked for Tuesday (coincidentally). Since Monday noon, I've been unable to hold down anything solid. My family doctor thinks I have a stomach virus, but now it's Friday and I still can't hold down anything (I keep vomiting water). I've phoned my clinic 3 times now and they make note of it, but have given me little guidance on what to do. I've tried Gravol and it helps a bit (at least some Water stays down), but seeing no improvement after a week has me worried that it's something going wrong with my surgery. Has anyone else experienced extreme nausea and vomiting for days? What caused it?

This is now in ER mode. Go to the ER. If you TRULY can't even hold fluids down...you need IV fluids at this point. Let them sort out testing and admit you if necessary. I'm betting you have a stricture.

But the critical thing is that you NEED fluids. We need MINIMUM of 4oz of fluids per hour on average to replace vomitus and big D.

((hugs)) and go!

Edited by FluffyChix

Same happened to me and the surgical team also wasn’t very helpful. I ended up toughing it out, but I probably should have gone to the ER/urgent care for fluids

15 minutes ago, NYJenn said:

Same happened to me and the surgical team also wasn’t very helpful. I ended up toughing it out, but I probably should have gone to the ER/urgent care for fluids

So it was inflammation then and not a stricture? ((hugs)) On powering on. Bravo!

OP, maybe try doing ice chips from Sonic??? And sucking on sf popsicles. And see if small sips (trickles) of warm broth can get through?

Also, are you constipated? Are you SURE you aren't constipated???

At 3 weeks I wound up in the ER, cuz of projectile vomiting. About the only time I've puked to date PO. And it was cuz it was official. I was FOS! ROFLMAO! Seriously. I was SOOOO backed up, that nothin else could get down my piehole! Once I broke down the Rosemary's Baby Bad kinds of BMs (for dayssssssss), all was golden mahnnnnn. LOL. *snort*

Edited by FluffyChix

Do exactly what Fluffy said, you will be getting very dehydrated now which in turn will make you feel worse apart from electrolyte imbalances etc let us know how you go x

This does seem worrisome. I agree with Fluffy! Got to the ER. I have never thrown up and if I were to throw up this much, I would be there in a minute. Good luck! Let us know how you do!

not keeping down food is one thing - people can go without food for a few days (although even then, I'd contact a medical professional). Not being able to keep down fluids is quite another. I'd go to the ER, too.

Go to the ER! Had same issue twice. Blood infection. Don’t mess around!

5 hours ago, CanadianDreamer said:

Hi there. I'm two months out from my surgery (July/16/2019) and I was doing great until about a week ago. Then I started vomiting unexpectedly. I've been very lucky up until then, as I had only been sick once from a food that didn't agree with me to that point. When I got sick last week, I took note as to what I had eaten, and it was nothing new. The next day I vomited even more. Last Sunday I was vomiting a lot and could hardly eat or drink anything without feeling sick. I called my surgery clinic office to tell them what was happening on Monday, and told them I had an appointment with my family doctor booked for Tuesday (coincidentally). Since Monday noon, I've been unable to hold down anything solid. My family doctor thinks I have a stomach virus, but now it's Friday and I still can't hold down anything (I keep vomiting water). I've phoned my clinic 3 times now and they make note of it, but have given me little guidance on what to do. I've tried Gravol and it helps a bit (at least some Water stays down), but seeing no improvement after a week has me worried that it's something going wrong with my surgery. Has anyone else experienced extreme nausea and vomiting for days? What caused it?

Stricture likely, call your Surgeon immediately

Good Luck 💙

Had a scary thought- you're posting in the Sleeve forum- they're usually not as prone to strictures as Bypassers but I would think it is possible for your sleeve to twist. Hope by now you have been checked out and are safe and BETTER, nothing to fool around with- For all this IS Your Life and Future we are talking and worrying ABOUT. Better to get told it's nothing worrisome by trained personnel than to risk your health.

Sorry I didn't get back to people after starting this post. I went to the hospital and ended up admitted for 12 days. I injured my kidneys due to dehydration. I'm now at home with 3 different types of anti-nausea pills. They determined there is no problem with my surgery (no stricture, no kink, no ulcers), but they don't have a reason why I've been so sick. Thanks everyone for the advise to get to the hospital!