Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plateau already???? Can't be....

Ok guys I'm starting to get a little frustrated here. I've stayed the same weight for the last 4 days. What's up with that?! I'm only a week out from the surgery. Could I really be hitting a wall already? Does my body think it's starving and holding on to everything? I've lost 26 lbs since starting the pre-op diet 10/29. That's a lot of weight in less than a month, this I know. I'm trying to be realistic here. I just thought I would lose like crazy on the post-op and then it would level off once I started mushies.

Anyone else experiencing this? Know of anyone else experiencing this? Words of wisdom? Encouragement? Anything would be helpful at this point...... I'm seriously bummed about it.:cry

Pennie,

Your body is healing and you should not expect weight loss during this time. You are swollen and your body will retain Fluid during this time. Be patient and when the swelling goes down and body heals the weight will fall off. Just concentrate on taking care of yourself and the band.

Pennie,

You are doing absolutely GREAT! Don't look at this as a plateau at all. Two weeks without a weight change is when you start thinking plateau.

Some folks don't lose weight or much weight during this phase so you really need to pat yourself on the back. I have been working hard and am very happy with my results and you are blowing my doors off...

Also, are you exercising much yet? I am not. I really, really need to get moving, this is the only area I really need help with now.

Focus on the positive, keep doing the right thing, and that scale will move...

Have a Happy Thanksgiving..

Pennie,

O I meant to mention this. I lost nine pounds pre-op, like a dumb-bunny I weighed myself when I got home from the hospital and I had gained almost 8 pounds back. I thought, What the Hell???? Anyway, that 8 plus more has come off, so just keep plugging away, you really are doing awesome given your 11/14/07 banding date...

I read somewhere that you can expect a 10 lb gain after surgery. Between the IV's, drugs and swelling it makes sense. I went to WW on Wednesday. I was up .2. I was thrilled with that.

I get the feeling that the other bandsters haven't experienced "bandster hell" yet. I'm in it, and it's so depressing. It sounds like you could be in it although it is a little early. 2 weeks out once I started mushies I gained 2 lbs and have stopped losing since. I read a few threads from the october group and MANY of them reported the exact same thing. I guess we're just the lucky ones experiencing it before everyone else. I'm eating well and exercising but losing nothing. I called the clinic where I had my surgery and they said it's normal and that I'm doing everything right. Yes, I know it's the healing phase but whenever you are doing the right things and not losing/gaining it really sucks.

It's a sad sad day:think....the battery in my scale died this morning. I guess I can't feed my obsession today. There's no way I'm stepping foot in Wal-Mart today! Maybe I should take this as a sign that I need to get over my scale obsession. Anyone else get on it like 3 times a day??? I think I'm in OCD hell! LOL

Molly - no I'm not doing any exercising yet. The doc said not to start any program until I'm 3 weeks out.

Lizzie - I don't wanna be in bandster hell. ;) You can have it back! OMG what's it going to be like when I start mushies.....Good grief! I'll be so glad when my metabolism catches up to all these changes.

Okay, first of all......I know what it's like to want to step on the scale everyday, just to see your progress.......but STOP! It is not good on your mental health. Just weight weekly, or twice a week if you can't stand to wait that long. Just realize that your body has daily fluctuations, but you measure your progress in longer time spans. Lizzie, sorry about your weight gain, I'm terrified that when I get on the scale next week that is where mine will be. We shall get through this, I just know it!

I get the feeling that the other bandsters haven't experienced "bandster hell" yet. I'm in it, and it's so depressing. It sounds like you could be in it although it is a little early. 2 weeks out once I started mushies I gained 2 lbs and have stopped losing since. I read a few threads from the october group and MANY of them reported the exact same thing. I guess we're just the lucky ones experiencing it before everyone else. I'm eating well and exercising but losing nothing. I called the clinic where I had my surgery and they said it's normal and that I'm doing everything right. Yes, I know it's the healing phase but whenever you are doing the right things and not losing/gaining it really sucks.

Lizzie, I'm in hell with you! I'm starving and neurotic and haven't lost in about a week too. What I don't understand is how I'm supposed to start losing with a fill or two or three. The reason I say that is because I don't know how I can possibly eat less. I'm on 2 tablespoons/meal with two Protein shakes in between. How do I eat less than that?

I get you about the scale. I'm on it every day! First thing in the morning I gopee, take everything off, even my watch and hairband and weigh!

Linda - That is the EXACT question I asked the nurse at the clinic. I said I dont understand how I could lose weight once I reach restriction if Im eating so little now and not losing anything. She said she didnt fully know the reason for it but it happens to everyone but she assured me that once I get my first fill I will start to lose again. Im really hoping shes right.... glad to know im not alone though! I feel like such a failure but im trying to just get over it and accept this as the weight im stuck at for the next while. Ive been weighing myself less, naturally, as the scale hasnt moved in almost a week (other than to gain the 2lbs initially..)

Linda - That is the EXACT question I asked the nurse at the clinic. I said I dont understand how I could lose weight once I reach restriction if Im eating so little now and not losing anything. She said she didnt fully know the reason for it but it happens to everyone but she assured me that once I get my first fill I will start to lose again. Im really hoping shes right.... glad to know im not alone though! I feel like such a failure but im trying to just get over it and accept this as the weight im stuck at for the next while. Ive been weighing myself less, naturally, as the scale hasnt moved in almost a week (other than to gain the 2lbs initially..)

You aren't alone! Everyone's saying calories in, calories out, but like I said 2 Tablespoons/meal and two Protein shakes, how can I eat less than that? I've started exercising too. The other thing that worries me is I feel faint getting up and down. I was painting the other day and getting up and down the ladder I thought I was going to pass out. So I definitely can't eat any less! And everyone keeps saying many people don't lose during this time, wait until you have restriction, but I just don't get how restriction is going to help when I'm eating already like I AM restricted - know what I mean? Oh well, wait and see, I guess. I hate being Ms. Doom and Gloom on these boards all the time, but it does make me wonder if I will succeed. I guess for me it's hard to stay positive during this phase.

I have been hyper focusing on the scale too. I was changing my ticker almost everyday, except for yesterday because I didn't log on. Anyway, I hit the 20lb mark yesterday. Then, this morning the scale said I gained 1.4lbs. I was like, what the hell! Yesterday I moved for a change. I didn't "workout" but I cleaned, vacuumed, put this workout machine together (which took almost all friggin day). Up and down off the floor, so much so my port site hurt a little.

Yeah, so this lesson is, I need to only weigh myself once or twice a week so I am not so devastated.

Regarding the stall that we are experiencing. Maybe its not a matter of stalling, maybe its a matter of our bodies catching up on the 15+ lbs we have lost already.

Let's try to collectively agree to stick with it, keep doing the right thing, send up prayers to whoever our high powers might be, and weigh only once or twice a week.

put this workout machine together (which took almost all friggin day). Up and down off the floor, so much so my port site hurt a little.

Regarding the stall that we are experiencing. Maybe its not a matter of stalling, maybe its a matter of our bodies catching up on the 15+ lbs we have lost already.

Good point! I didn't think of it that way.

Putting together that machine probably wore you out more than using it, eh? :) What did you get?

We purchased a Weider PRO from Craigslist. It is a two station that can do a pretty wide variety of arm and leg exercises. It was only $100. We had looked at these really nice new machines that were $1500 and up. I just did't want to invest in something that expensive (and that large) given our past lack of consistency in using such machines.

I joined a gym at work, but my husband and daughter want to join in on the healthy train I am on so we purchased this to give them something to use.

You are right though, I got more of a workout from picking myself off the ground million times then I probably would have gotten from using the machine.

I did notice that it was easier to get up and down, and that is only after 20 ish pounds. I can't wait to be in shape again... Tennis... and riding my bike without it feeling (or looking) like my ass has swallowed the seat...

I know I've been a broken record on the scale thing but the fact is that if I've had a day without loss or with a gain, I have no idea because I don't weigh myself. I'll find out the net loss, if any, when I go to the doctor on December 14.

However, I know that I am smaller because of how my clothes fit. So just because I don't weigh myself doesn't mean I don't get any reward for my efforts!

Which would you rather see?

Example one:

Monday, starting weight for the week.

Tuesday, up one

Wednesday, down two

Thursday, up one

Friday, down two

Saturday, up one

Sunday, no loss

Monday, down two.

Example two:

Monday, starting weight for the week.

Following Monday, down three.

They both represent the same loss for the week! For me, I'd rather experience Example two and, in fact, I'll only be weighing once a month! I want to experience the joy of stepping on the scale and finding out I've lost in the double digits!:whoo:(And if I haven't lost in the double digits, then weighing weekly was probably worse!)