Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I am having a time of finding a chewable or liquid option for my blood pressure meds. The med I am having trouble finding a solution for is Diltiazem. I talked to the cardiologist but they think I can just open up the capsule and take the 2 little tabs inside but those are not crushable either. Anyone experience this issue and have a solution?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, lingre said:

I am having a time of finding a chewable or liquid option for my blood pressure meds. The med I am having trouble finding a solution for is Diltiazem. I talked to the cardiologist but they think I can just open up the capsule and take the 2 little tabs inside but those are not crushable either. Anyone experience this issue and have a solution?

Hmm, they aren't that big, I would just try taking them. I had gabapentin, plus others to take post-op. Gabapentin are quite big capsules and I found if I made sure my mouth was wet first by swilling Water around first then I could have a sip and get them down.

Bp tablets whilst important won't be too much of an issue to miss for that first 24 hours post-op. And by the next day should be fine to swallow. BUT the best person to ask is a hospital pharmacist, they will know more about how to take them an alternative way than the cardiologist too.

ps. bp drops pretty quickly-side effect of anaesthetic so you most likely won't be given them to start with because it will drop it too low anyway :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to know! The cardiologist and pharmacist said to take with applesauce but I won’t be able to do that for a while. I have my first pre-op on Friday so I plan to see what my options are at this point. Thank you for the response!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, lingre said:

Good to know! The cardiologist and pharmacist said to take with applesauce but I won’t be able to do that for a while. I have my first pre-op on Friday so I plan to see what my options are at this point. Thank you for the response!

No problem I will be very surprised if your bp is high enough for the nurses to give them to you anyway, but yeah 24-48 hours without isn't going to kill you and they will be doing your vitals constantly anyway so any 'issues' can be sorted with IV meds if absolutely necessary :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't taken a bp pill since before surgery. It's been perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't taken a bp pill since before surgery. It's been perfect.

Surgeon held off on my bp meds after surgery. I had a follow up with my general dr a few weeks after surgery and she officially took me off bp meds since I had lost some weight and my bp was normal [emoji16]
Good luck to you!

Btw- Today is my 2 month Surgiversary!

SW: 311
Surgery Weight 7/3/19: 281
CW: 231


Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, alex76 said:

Surgeon held off on my bp meds after surgery. I had a follow up with my general dr a few weeks after surgery and she officially took me off bp meds since I had lost some weight and my bp was normal
Good luck to you!

Btw- Today is my 2 month Surgiversary!

SW: 311
Surgery Weight 7/3/19: 281
CW: 231


Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Happy surgiversary to you and congrats 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so this is still posing issues for me and i still need to know if anyone has a solution to this because it sounds like I should not just stop taking this medication. I should have explained originally that I am not taking this meds for blood pressure but a heart arrhythmia/palpitations that are pretty bad if I don’t take it. These won’t kill me but it wakes me up at night and sends me into a fight or flight response that is no good and keeps me from sleeping. I have asked the cardiologist and pharmacist and there just seems to be so much confusion about my options. I am finding it hard to believe I am the only bariatric patient that is on this drug and had to resolve this prior to surgery. Seems strange and hoping this larger pool of people can help me find somebody in my same position who can provide a solution! I have 3 weeks to figure this out but if I need to switch meds I sort of wanted to do that next week to give me time to adjust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi, i looked it up and it looks like you can get it as an oral suspension? meaning crushed and in a carrier liquid ... can you ask and see if you can get that done? you said they thought you could crush but you weren't sure?

i've had my betablocker made into a liquid for the first month post surgery after seeing all the comments about trouble swallowing; and been told i can crush my bp med (like you one of mine is for controlling heart rate)

i went through a run around initially being told mine couldn't be crushed; then that it was disolvable (it sure wasn't), then that it was available as a liquid, then wasn't etc. but eventually got it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, lingre said:

Ok, so this is still posing issues for me and i still need to know if anyone has a solution to this because it sounds like I should not just stop taking this medication. I should have explained originally that I am not taking this meds for blood pressure but a heart arrhythmia/palpitations that are pretty bad if I don’t take it. These won’t kill me but it wakes me up at night and sends me into a fight or flight response that is no good and keeps me from sleeping. I have asked the cardiologist and pharmacist and there just seems to be so much confusion about my options. I am finding it hard to believe I am the only bariatric patient that is on this drug and had to resolve this prior to surgery. Seems strange and hoping this larger pool of people can help me find somebody in my same position who can provide a solution! I have 3 weeks to figure this out but if I need to switch meds I sort of wanted to do that next week to give me time to adjust.

Really your cardiologist and pharmacist should be working this out for you. If there is no way you can get the medication in liquid form then they should be converting you to one that is. What did they say about you not being able to have it for a few days?

They have a duty of care to sort this out for you if you absolutely cannot miss taking it for 2 or 3 days. I would be demanding (politely of course) that they find you an alternative. It is not your responsibility as a patient to be sourcing medication.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Zemi said:

hi, i looked it up and it looks like you can get it as an oral suspension? meaning crushed and in a carrier liquid ... can you ask and see if you can get that done? you said they thought you could crush but you weren't sure?

i've had my betablocker made into a liquid for the first month post surgery after seeing all the comments about trouble swallowing; and been told i can crush my bp med (like you one of mine is for controlling heart rate)

i went through a run around initially being told mine couldn't be crushed; then that it was disolvable (it sure wasn't), then that it was available as a liquid, then wasn't etc. but eventually got it!

This is great info! I am happy to hear someone got this same run around too . It just seems like no one has asked this before and it is causing confusion for my doc and pharmacist. I plan to reach out again this week to try and get a final answer on this. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Bastian said:

Really your cardiologist and pharmacist should be working this out for you. If there is no way you can get the medication in liquid form then they should be converting you to one that is. What did they say about you not being able to have it for a few days?

They have a duty of care to sort this out for you if you absolutely cannot miss taking it for 2 or 3 days. I would be demanding (politely of course) that they find you an alternative. It is not your responsibility as a patient to be sourcing medication.

I was thinking this same thing and have been baffled this has been such an odd question to ask. I plan to push harder this week to get an answer about this pronto! Thanks for the encouragement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck don't let them just brush you off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I asked about my bp meds and they said I can just swallow meds. They also said I may hold them if my bp is under a certain number. I also take a uric acid reducer that I will need to take post op.

It surprised me, also, that I can take a hard pill post op but yet will be on Clear Liquids. Go figure!

I plan on questioning this again during my pre op appt with my surgeon in a couple of weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • veisor  »  Panda333

      Hi!
      Thank you for replying.   It means the world to me.  It also confirmed what I been feeling about which procedure to choose.   I fall into the category as you do and elected the sleeve as it seemed to be less invasive and recovery would be better and faster,  however I am so afraid to regain the weight back since I rarely eat and obesity runs in my family.   I have two siblings that had the bypass and they have been successful.  My sister was in the high 400's and is about 140 now and has been for several years since her procedure.  I guess I felt that the sleeve would allow me to have more control, however I realized that I can't control my genetics and that is one of the biggest reasons that I am here.  Yes, I have not always made the best choices but trust me when I say that I have been on the loss and regain + more rollercoaster weight ride for yrs! I have spent so much money as I am sure you have as well as many others who are going through this.  It is not easy and anyone who thinks this is a copout is crazy!!! This has been harder than anything I have done including hiring a personal trainer to kick my butt in the gym! And still with all the gym hours, clean eating "not to mention the clean eating cost" I knew it was time that I moved to the next step to finally be who I know in my head and heart cause when I see myself in the mirror,  well let's just say is not the girl I see in my mind. 
      So thanks again for your reply and I hope that we can keep in touch through our journey. 
      😊
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • AggiG

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Pookeyism

      I'm going in for a sleeve revision October 4th. It worked well for me, and I am not back to my starting weight. However, a revision is strongly encouraged at this time (there are additional medical issues). I have decided to forgo the insurance process, even though I know I would eventually be approved. "Eventually" is the key issue here. I have a small window to create this to where it will not impact my work or home life as much, and waiting for the insurance approval would take over a year.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ms.sss

      I just read @BoredCW's status post and also want to lament the loss of my butt.  Looking at me the side, my back is basically flat from my neck to my knees.  My jeans have lovely fabric folds draping from my backside from lack of filling.
      Two days ago, I was sitting on a worn couch at the gym and I could feel the springs and count how many I was sitting on.  Told the Kid and she said she wants to find her childhood alphabet fridge magnets in the basement to spell out words and have me sit on them and do some "butt-braille-reading" 😂
      · 5 replies
      1. FluffyChix

        HI-LAR-ious! I love your kid!!!

        Yeah, we all suffer from noassatall syndrome. :(

      2. 2Bsmaller18

        Yes. I think the spandex in jeans is the only thing that helps keep the sag below the pockets form looking ridiculous. Even leggings wrinkle there.

      3. ms.sss

        Ah, our disappearing collective butts.

        I am seriously considering changing my plastics plan. I am booked for an arm lift in December, but my summer obsession with arm exercises has improved the look of them quite a bit to the point that I think I may hate my butt more than my arms. Should I do a butt lift instead?!?! In conjunction with?!?!?

        I am trying to cultivate an obsession with butt exercises but its not working so far...

      4. 2Bsmaller18

        I don't think you could do both at the same time. For me personally it's arms. I have granny wrinkles down to my elbows. I can always dover my body with tshirts, pants, etc but unless I wear long sleeves my arms are an issue. I also can't wear a small enough jacket since it fits everywhere but too tight in the arms. They measure around 13.5 inches. Can you compromise and get the smaller arm lift. I don't know if that saves much $ or recovery but if your arms improved that much maybe just a tweek will work?

      5. ms.sss

        The difference in price for a mini arm lift and the full arm lift at my surgeon is less thank 2K and probably not worth the savings. May as well pay the extra bit and get the full arm lift as my sag also reaches my elbows. You are right though, my arms see the light of day way more than my butt does...I'll have to see if the continued butt exercises will change my mind down the road (but it's looking more and more that a butt lift is in my future)

        P.S. At the beginning of my 2 week pre-op diet, my upper right arm measured 17.75 inches in circumference. Now its 10. And that is with the extra skin still.

    • BoredCW

      On the 3 week plateau from hell.. It seems like an endless desert with sand dunes that represent the 1-2 pounds gain then dropped from day to day. Met with my weight loss group tonight and was told its normal. That this is sometimes like a step, plateau then drop, plateau then drop. Only for the plateau's to go on longer the farther away from the surgery date I get. Much like EDM, I can't wait for the drop. 
      On top of it all, I lost my ass. Seriously.. its gone. All that cushion that I enjoyed lounging on eating what ever I ate, watching what ever was on the computer or tv... is gone. That glorious support system is vamoosed. I know this because my ass (tailbone) hurts all the time. I'm sitting on bone now and its sore. I am my own literal Pain in the Ass! (My family would say whats new, but who cares about them.. my butt hurts.) I have yet to bring a pillow with me everywhere I go to sit on, but I'm getting ready to as I sit for my job working on computers. So far losing the weight is a Pain. I hope it gets better. 
      · 2 replies
      1. ms.sss

        Hang in there, the plateau will end eventually. Also I feel you on the butt thing.

      2. FluffyChix

        I have a butt pillow. I'm not proud. :D

        The plateaus suck!!!! Keep the faith and motor on!

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×