Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to bring with to the hospital

Just curious if there are things that you were either 1) glad you brought with to the hospital or 2) you wish you had thought to bring to the hospital. Or heck, anything you brought that was a total waste to bring lol

My surgery is on Wed Sep 4th and I want to be prepared! I don't want to bring anything more than I need (plus as a nurse I know how much personal stuff can get in the way lol). I have to bring my CPAP, so that is a given. And my inhaler if I can find it (never use it lol). I will wear a loose comfy shirt and pants to/from the hospital and obviously bring clean underwear. I am sure I will want my own brush and toothbrush (going to forgo most toiletries since it is only an overnight stay). A decent pair of shoes to walk the halls in (thinking crocs because they are easy). I read someone comment that they were glad they had a pillow for the car ride home to hold against their belly, and will probably want to use it in the hospital (hate hospital pillows). Maybe I will have hubby put a blanket in the car too for the long ride home (oh wait, it is going to be 100 degrees, so maybe not lol). I know I will want my phone after surgery (hubby can hold it during surgery). The obvious: Insurance card (in hubbies wallet). Did you need your picture ID? I assume I will get a call about that this weekend from the hospital. Wasn't really planning to bring much else... but am I forgetting anything I should have?

Kind of sad right now... they mentioned they might move me to September 3rd due to a cancellation, but it is Friday afternoon on a holiday weekend. If they haven't moved me already, I doubt it is getting moved! I call the hospital on Tuesday afternoon for the exact time I need to be at the hospital on Wednesday. Anxious to get this over and done with!

I brought some biotene mouth spray.. Was a life saver!!! Drinking Water hurt initially and my mouth was sooooo dry. I am soooooo glad my friend recommended it!! Also.. Some eos chapstick. Again with the dryness lol. I also brought some hydrating spray for my face but I didn't need that. I brought my pillow but i slept and sat with the bed raised because my large incision site would cramp like crazy when I was flat. I mostly slept when I wasn't walking... But everyone is different. May want to bring somwthing to occupy your mind.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using BariatricPal mobile app

I brought my I'd, my cpap and phone & charger. I wore the same clothes to and from home. You literally sip, walk and sleep. I didn't bring anything else.

Chapstick, a nail file, hand or face lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste. I didn't bring a mini mouthwash but wish I had. I wasn't allowed any liquids till the following day & my mouth felt DISGUSTING. I probably brushed my teeth 4x that first night. A small zip bag to put that stuff in so it's an easy reach on the bedside table & not rolling around.

I didn't care so much about the pillow, but I wish I'd had a pillow case from home. The hospital pillow case barely stayed on the pillow. A pillow case wouldn't have been hard to bring & would have added comfort. I didnt miss having a pillow for the ride home, but I'm probably 20 min from the hospital.

I brought a pair of comfy sweatpant/pajama pants to wear under the hospital gown & I'm so glad I had them. I would not have been comfortable walking around in that gown or even laying in my room in just that.

phone, reading device or book, chargers.

photo id, credit card.

I was told I wouldn’t need to bring my inhaler, i too barely use it. I had taken and used :phone, phone charger, hairbrush, face wipes and my glasses cleaner. What I took but didn’t use: adult coloring book and marker(I had a morning surgery), hand lotion, face lotion, flushable wipes.

I was asleep most of the day after surgery until about 4 I wanted to walk. Wore same clothes there and from 

1 hour ago, JanJan19 said:

I didnt miss having a pillow for the ride home, but I'm probably 20 min from the hospital.

I am about 40 minutes from the hospital when I drive... my husband drives slower lol

53 minutes ago, Bianca S. said:

I was told I wouldn’t need to bring my inhaler, i too barely use it. I had taken and used :phone, phone charger, hairbrush, face wipes and my glasses cleaner. What I took but didn’t use: adult coloring book and marker(I had a morning surgery), hand lotion, face lotion, flushable wipes.

I was asleep most of the day after surgery until about 4 I wanted to walk. Wore same clothes there and from

I seriously doubt I will need my inhaler, but they still want me to bring it. I will, "IF" I find it! GLASSES CLEANER! That is definitely something I need!

Try not to bring too much. I over packed for both of my surgeries (and im a minimalist)

The thing I used the most was the button for the pain pump

Good Luck 💜

15 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Try not to bring too much. I over packed for both of my surgeries (and im a minimalist)

The thing I used the most was the button for the pain pump

Good Luck 💜

Yes, keeping to a minimum for sure!

I brought a robe (those gowns don't cover much), small cloth blade fan (the room didn't have good AC and I like air circulation. This can be found on Amazon), Slippers (they had the footie socks with anti slip, but I have really large feet and they barely fit), CPAP as instructed, Cell Phone Charger, Headphones (AirPods, they use the same charger as the phone).

I do not eat artificial sweetners, colors, flavors, so I knew I wouldn't be eating Jello, popsicles, Crystal Lite, or those little sweet Protein packet thingies. I brought my own broth (gluten free) and protein supplements. Turns out the hospital had some delicious broth that was gluten free, so that was fine, but I'm glad I had my own protein with me.

The best tip I have is to call ahead and ask if the department has those firm little pillows that patients use to splint their incisions. Cardiac patients use these, and often the hospital volunteers make them. If not, find a small sized, very firm pillow. Hold it against your tummy when you cough or get out of bed, or walk. It helped me soooooo much! even riding in the car, as our road has a lot of bumps. It was my best friend for at least 2 weeks.

I always suggest a neck pillow, like one of the travel things, the most pain i had was the crick in my neck from that bed lol

I'm preop but a power bank for my phone is one of the most useful things in my daily life; I'm sure to pack it. I find that 10000 mAh lasts a few days depending on use. You also don't have to plug it to the wall like a phone charger. I got my current one on Amazon but TJMaxx and Marshalls have good deals too.

On 8/30/2019 at 9:36 PM, JanJan19 said:

I didn't bring a mini mouthwash but wish I had. I wasn't allowed any liquids till the following day & my mouth felt DISGUSTING. I probably brushed my teeth 4x that first night. A small zip bag to put that stuff in so it's an easy reach on the bedside table & not rolling around.

I read that chapstick is a common choice for dry lips but didn't think about mouthwash for the mouth. I'll consider that, thank you.

Yess I'm scheduled for Wednesday September 4th too!!!..🤩

Sent from my SM-A205U using BariatricPal mobile app

Yay! Good luck to you! I am so anxious for the 4th to come. Time is going too slowly for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app