Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did/do you track measurements and take regular photos?

One of the suggestions i've been reading before having surgery is to take measurements and take lots of photos prior to surgery and then monthly for the first 12-18 months to show progress. Both not really something I like doing any of, and measurements especially I find hard to take as far as working out where 🤣 I've read various guides and still get stuck there somehow.

Do you take them regularly and look back much?

I did that every month on my surgery date until I hit maintenance. I found it EXTREMELY helpful and encourage everyone to do so (I've been working with pre-op groups for the last two years). I love having all this data as it documents my journey. It's also great to have when you hit those periods when you're not feeling successful. You can look back at where you came from and realize yes, you were/are hugely successful!!

I don't take progress pictures but I track measurements religiously. It's not difficult with a tape measure you can pick up at the fabric section at Walmart. I'd suggest the "basic" measurements, plus any places that you start out particularly large. i.e. if you have very large arms or thighs, include those measurements. In addition to bust, I also take one directly under the bust. That way you can isolate how much boob is lost vs. how much "regular" fat. I measure to the nearest 1/4 inch.

These are the measurements I take (for example) and it only takes me about 2-3 minutes tops. I included how much I've lost (Jan 2018 to now) so you can see how inspiring these can be, especially when the scale is being a b!tch.

Bust -14.0"

Under Bust -16.0

Waist -18.0

Hip (at largest point) -16.0

Thigh (left) -8.0

Calf (left) -3.5

Ankle (left) -1.5

Neck -4.5

As you can see, my fat was spread very evenly over my whole body. (Boobs went down less because there wasn't much there to begin with 🤣 )

Measurements yes, weights fairly constantly, but Pictures? Nope I spent Too Too Many Years hearing How Ugly I was and Am, even from people who Billed themselves as LOVING ME- I am too Frightened and intimindated to take pictures for posterity to ridicule them and ME. So nobody even knows for sure what I look like for certain. I WILL STATE For the Record, 5ft8in, 188 pounds, nearly one-half the size I started at (365+ pounds) thin of hair, low calorie and probably Protein intake, I swallow all my Vitamins, minerals, prescribed meds, but an appetite- nonexistent, and foods ? Pretty indifferent, I try , some on the thin side, not even a full mechanical soft diet, and I fight to keep down as much as Precious Pouch,and my body allow, the rest reflexes and emesis-es ( is there such a word? Or Am I inventive?).
And if any of you care for my whine of woe, you would be the First. Can't afford to Go Elsewhere so facility and I are uneasy Life Mates into Perpetuativity. A Fine Swamp of my life, but IT WAS ELECTIVE 😷SURGERY, perhaps that means- I ASKED FOR IT! 👈😯👉

Yes! Absolutely!

My latest measurements pre-surgery:

12.5neck

bust 38

waist 29

hips 38

:) 135lbs

I also have a photo progression by month but haven't updated it in a long time.

I had surgery a year ago. I've only monitored my weight loss progress through the decreasing numbers on the scale and in clothes sizes, not through measurements or photos. I use the baritastic app to log my food to keep me on track.

Yes, I have monthly measurements and keep it on a spreadsheet and I've also taken monthly photos and do a collage on a free photo editing website to show my "before" photo and "after" photo so that I can see the difference.

PhotoFunia-1557150701.jpg

Yes! At first you
Won’t enjoy doing it, but it will be so rewarding

Heck yes. I took photos and videos and then created a password protected photo app on my phone. I look back at my face pics all the time. I made videos talking about how I was feeling and reminding myself of things I didnt want to forget and I am so happy I did that because you WILL forget. I love seeing the progress.

Thanks... think I’ll try getting some photos taken this weekend or the next before I start pre-op, and I guess I should tackle the measurement issue! Love seeing and reading about the progress others have made

9 hours ago, Zemi said:

Thanks... think I’ll try getting some photos taken this weekend or the next before I start pre-op, and I guess I should tackle the measurement issue! Love seeing and reading about the progress others have made

You'll be there soon!