Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly banded side effects?

:cross-eye I am five days postop from banding. Did anyone else have problems the first week with diarrhea every time you try to eat your liquid Soup or Protein mixes? I am having to run to the bathroom every time I eat. I thought it would be just the opposite with pain relievers on board but not so. My stomach gets really irritable every time I eat.

I also have found it hard to get in enough calories with what little amount you can take in. I counted my calories and it was only around 300!! Needless to say, I am trying to fixate on weight loss yet but I have lost 7 lbs in 5 days, which is probably all Water though. I am drinking water just fine still, but I am trying to think of ways to boost the calorie content up a little bit during this period. I was so worried about craving foods and wanting food after surgery but so far so good. I really don't care much about foods, just make sure I get my Protein drinks in (except when my son grilled a steak last night, that sure looked good!!). I also notice I get full really easy with just a little bit of protein or liquid soup but then about an hour later my stomach hurts it is growling so hard and hunger pangs. Is this a phase that shall pass? I sure hope so, it is really not a good feeling.

I am starting to feel better today. I must say I had some ponderings of whether I should have had this done up to today as the shoulder pain was excruciating. Wouldn't you think with modern technology there would be a way to get that carbon dioxide out of your belly before you wake up? I really think that has been the worst part of this surgery.

I can't believe my bottom belly is smaller than the top belly now, if that makes any sense!! My top spare tire looks like I have swallowed a watermelon it is so swollen!! It is quite humorous really! Thanks for you support!

Hi Mistybreezes!

Congratulations on your banding! First thing I'll say is yep, diarrhea is perfectly normal at this stage. Liquid in, liquid out--silly but true.

When you can get on thicker liquids, go ahead and go wild with Soup. There a gazillion great ones out there and NOW is your time to indulge. Blend anything chunky for a couple of seconds to get the big lumps out. Between good soup and Protein drinks you shouldn't have any problem getting 1000 calories or so a day.

Isn't it great when you wake up the first day you start to really feel better? The sun WILL shine again and you will heal and can then get down to the business of being banded. But for now you must just think about healing, and trying not to get too hungry.

Welcome to bandland!! :cool: :) :)

Misty,

I'm 13 days post op. I had a terrible time even getting Water down those first few days, and found that warm liquids go down easier for me.

And on the bathroom thing, yep, had to run to the bathroom for several days then didn't visit it again for another 7 (YIKES!).

I agree on the Protein drinks- I love the Edge Carb control drinks from wal Mart- they have 15gms of Protein in 11 oz, plus are only 100 calories and have only 2 carbs. I can tolerate the colder drinks now, so I like to freeze them until they are slushy and make a sort of milkshake out of them.

As long as you're getting enough liquids these first few days you'll do ok, the better stuff is to come:)

You sound like how I felt during the first couple weeks. I was so sick with diarreah that my local doc was convinced I picked up some horrible Mexican bug. She even tested me for everything she could think of, but the results were all negative.

I like to think the diarreah is simply cleansing all the toxic waste that's built up over the years. I didn't have any stomach pain though. I treated myself to a new Kingsize heating pad, which helped the shoulder pains, then I'd switch it to my lower and upper back for all the other discomforts.

The first time I was allowed Soup was a heavenly experience. Cream of chicken blended to get the chunks out... very nice. And lowfat fudgsicles, too.

Good luck on your journey.

Thanks for all your posts! I feel like I am on a roller coaster ride. I felt great yesterday morning and then by afternoon, really felt bad again, with more shoulder pain and diarrhea, then I started really feeling weak and worn out. I hate this feeling, hope it goes away soon. I feel so unhealthy about now but am trying to get in as much Water as I can and also Protein Shakes.< /p>

It is quite normal to start feeling better after a few days, then to feel worse than ever for a few more. I felt the same way. I felt pretty good after five days, then WHAM, felt like hell for another week. I posted the same message, because it scared me, and I learned that a lot of people go through the same thing. Some people snap back and go to work after a few days. Not me! Some of us take our time healing and get worse before getting better. I got lots of suggestions for things to do to ease my discomfort, but nothing worked except my heating pad. I was never in any pain, just felt really lousy and had horrible bloating, gas, diarreah - general grossness.

By the way, "Misty Breeze" is on the radio as I'm typing.

DeLarla: Should I call my doctor about the diarrhea? I am really worried as I cannot hold down anything at all. Every time I even take a sip of anything, it sets my stomach off into fits and it goes right through me. I wonder if I could take some Imodium or something. I am just concerned as this has been going on for days now and doesn't seem to be getting better yet. I also keep waking up in the night with nausea, even though I have a scopolamine patch on for nausea. One night I had the dry heaves right after surgery but none since. I hope you're right about some people taking longer, I would never want to live my life this way!! By the way, I am self employed so I HAVE to work which is a real drag since I am swamped this week and finding it hard to get it all done. I don't have anyone to cover, so I just got the weekend to rest and am sitting here trying to work (at least I get to work at home though so I can take breaks).

Where do I start? First, one of the girls that got her band in the hospital with me dry-heaved right after surgery for hours. It's really important NOT to throw up or dry heave because it could cause slippage, so do whatever it takes to avoid it.

As far as calling your doctor, that's what I did. I was so bad that I ran to my primary care doctor. She approached me to listen to my belly with the stethoscope, but then jumped back after a huge belly rumble and yelled, "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?" The rumbling scared her from across the room, so she ordered every test possible to rule out bacteria or Mexican bugs. All my tests came back negative, so she just told me to take some Imodium.

However, things didn't run through me instantly. I was having some very "urgent" moments where I couldn't get to the bathroom on time though. So use your best judgement, it can't hurt to call the doc, but I think you sound how I felt. It took two full weeks before I was okay.

I did end up calling the doctor. The nurse told me I should try to take Imodium and if that didn't calm it, to call in the morning. I have been drinking Gatorade most of the day today instead of Water and that has helped some. I don't have Imodium on hand so I took some Pepto and so far so good, crossing my fingers!

I had an hour and a half drive home from the hospital and I got the dry heaves on the way home and didn't think I would even make it home! Then a day and a half postop I got the dry heaves again. I get waves of nausea at night, even with this patch on, so I hope that clears up soon too, no more dry heaves since then. I was freaked out about vomiting and called the doctor the next day and they told me not to worry, it would be very hard for the band to slip out of place. I guess time will be the factor here for healing.

Misty, the Imodium should help. You might want to ask your dr. if the dairy products (protein drinks, etc.) are aggravating the nausea/diarrehea. Keep drinking plenty of Water so you don't risk getting dehydrated. Hope you're better soon.