Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Albany GA bandsters - speak up...

I miss food. =( I feel like an addict going through withdrawals. I sat in bed last night thinking about how I couldnt wait for week 5 to get here so I could have a slice of pizza, or a big fat cheeseburger. I've even asked my family to eat out because I can't bear to smell food cooking that I can't have. It floors me how I associate EVERYTHING with food. Good times, food. Bad times, Food. Anytime, FOOD. I guess I am feeling kind of deprived right now at this stage. I guess I just need to tell myself that this will pass. I'm happy with my weight lost so far, but I am really struggling with the longing for comfort food. I actually have been to the verge of tears these past few days because I keep thinking 'what have I done'? I know me, and me giving up food is impossible.- I guess I feel like I never got to say goodbye to my food because the day I went for a consultation, she set my surgery date and I had to start the sugar busters. Who am I kidding, even if I had the chance to say 'goodbye' to pizza, I'd need a million goodbye's! I just think I need some encouragement or something. Anyone else miss food terribly? Especially at my stage?

Mia

I feel your pain! You are going to have a hard time getting past his stage. I had alot of head issues too but it gets better once you get past the liquid stage. It is not normal for someone to just consume liquids for an extended period of time so you are going to feel deprived. This stage will be over soon and then you can have those things you are craving occasionally! About once a week I have 1/2 a slice of pizza or a cheese burger ith out the bun and that satisfies my cravings. Keep thinking positive and think how proud you will be when you can see the results of your work. Take care!

YGWLewis

It doesn't sound like excuses, we sound like we have alot in common. I have a form of arthritis in my back that causes the vertebrae to fuse togeter and my hips are beginning to fuse. I went to my rhuemetologist yesterday and he was amazed at the difference a little weight loss and exercise have made.

Have you tried any of the ski machine type exercise machines? I have a Tony Little Gazzelle that doesn't cause any pain to use. You can get those pretty cheap now at Walmart and JCPenneys.

What about a fill? Do you have good restriction? You know the only way this is going to work is for us to make it happen. I am about to go get a fill in an hour. I went by the treatment center and weighed last week and my weight loss had slowed don so it is time for another one.

Are you going to come to our get together? I can't wait to get to meet everybody from this page. we seem to have a great group going here and I think it would really benefit all of us to have that support.

Well I have to run. Let us know how you are progressing. Take care!

I've been mia from this web site and from posting for a while. I come back to read the post from time to time, but rarely posted. I started back at this forum and find that you guys are going to be my greatest asset at keeping on track to the new happier and healthier me. My poor husband tries to be the best support person he can, but I find that I make the worst decisions when I am at home all day with our 2 year old. I don't make the necessary time to excersise. I feel like I need a good swift kick in the rear from you guys, because my husband is too kind to do it. And maybe if he did he is close enough for me to choke. I don't know any of you and I would be more inclined to listen and respond in a pleasant way. Is'nt that awful? Anyway I would appreciate any direction and replies. I have lost only 30lbs and need a boost. My surgery date is below. I live in Tifton and would love to join you on Feb 7th. Thanks for letting me rant.

Signed

In a rut!

We would love for you join us on the 7th! 30 lbs is nothing to be ashamed of. Remember, not everyone loses fast. I tend to lose in spurts. I just recovered from not losing anything in a whole month. It's very easy to get discouraged when we hit plateaus, but remember, it will pass.

I know exactly what you mean about finding time to exercise. I have a soon-to-be 2 year old, and I'm a SAHM too! Before I was banded, I grazed on food all day long, and it has been a very hard habit to break. Night eating was something I struggled with too. I think the reason I ate late at night, was because many times my day had been so hectic, and after hubby and son went to bed, that was my time. Food was very comforting. Food is not comforting to me anymore. I don't enjoy eating like I used to. Sometimes I really miss food, but most of the time I think of food as just something I need to survive. It takes time to change our habits, we can't just change overnight. In the meantime, all we can do is just try our best to get past these obstacles.

Lately, I've been exercising during my son's nap. He usually takes at least a 2 hour nap, so that gives me plenty of time to exercise. There are definitely days I don't want to. Hang in there, things will get better and be proud of what you have accomplished so far.

Hello Everyone;

I'm Alli and I've just been banded by Dr. Bagnato on Friday, the 18th! So far, so good. I've been reading your posts since a few weeks prior to my surgery and it's all been so helpful that I decided to join and introduce myself. I'm still learning how to operate site. Will get ticker going soon. Just wanted to say "Hi" and ask if anyone had a problem with their mouth feeling chalky during the liquid phase?

Hi Alli- Welcome! I was banded by DR. Bagnato the day before you were. Glad to see your surgery went well. I dont have any problem with my mouth feeling chalky. I'm having the head issues to deal with that are my biggest problem. Anyway, Welcome aboard, Good to have you!

Welcome Alli, it's nice to meet you! I'm glad you are doing good! Are you by chance drinking Isopure clear Protein Drinks? I tried to drink those my first week and they made my mouth feel really chalky. When I stopped drinking them, it went away. We would love to have you join us on Feb. 7th if you are able. I can't wait to meet everyone. Good luck and I hope you have a quick recovery!

Mia- How is work going? Are you working full days or half days? Hope you have a great day, just don't over do it!

Im working full days- Yesterday I was pretty tired by the end of the day- today I am struggling more with the head hunger and longing for pizza and all the bad foods. I'm calling myself pouty today. I so want to CHEW something. Physically, I feel fine other than a little sensative around the port area. I go back to Dr. B on Thursday for my post op check up. I am having one of those "what in the world have I done to myself" days. Hopefully it will pass.

Mia, I've been there too and it will pass, just give it some time. The first few weeks are really rough. Don't think that you can never have any of your favorite foods. I have had pizza and hamburgers since being banded. The difference is, I only ate like one peice of thin crust pizza or 1/2 of a hamburger with NO fries. It's all about moderation. I'm not saying you should eat these foods regularly, but every once in while it won't kill you. You'll be surprised at how much less you eat. I'm really trying to watch my carbs right now, so I haven't had those kinds of foods in a while. With some bandsters, they can't eat carbs, and some of the others can. Some people choose not to eat them. It all comes down to what works best for you. Many bandsters had success by eating the same foods, just a lot less of it. Don't get overwhelmed with thoughts of giving up foods. You may not have to give up as much as you think.

Thanks, I'm just being whiney and pouty. I just have to put my head down and dig my heels in and DO THIS! But you know, for all those ppl who call surgery the 'easy way out' they can kiss it! I can't believe the number of my overweight friends who have been really ugly to me about having this done. I guess that, plus the not having chewable food yet, was really weighing on me. It will get better, I have to keep believing it will.

Mia;

I had a chalky film on my tongue today and mouth was very dry. I called Terry in Dr. Bag's office and he prescribed something for yeast. She said this sometimes happens when giving the antibiotic for surgery. As for hunger, I told Terry that I felt like I was starving. She told me to drink a slim-fast. I have and now I feel much better. What time is your follow-up on Thursday. I go on Thursday as well.

Mia- It really drives me nuts that some people think we are taking the "easy way out". Most people who think that just don't know what their talking about. They have no knowledge of this surgery because they haven't researched it. You should just ignore those ignorant comments, because we know that this is hard, no matter what anyone says. Don't let comments like that get to you. I know that's easier said than done, but your friends should be supporting you instead of bringing you down. Your life is going to change for the better, maybe some of your friends could be jealous? I've heard of many bandsters that lose friends over this, but you have to ask yourself, were they really your friends if they can't even support this decision to make you healthier and happier? I'm not saying this is the same as your situation, I hope it isn't. My point is......... don't let them bring you down, it's not worth it!

I think most of the reason is that they will be losing a fellow 'fat person' and since I am the biggest in all of my friend group that leaves some of them worrying that they will not longer have the reason of 'well I'm not as big as Mia' to rest on anymore when I lose the weight. I understand their thinking, I've used it for years. But I would think that good friends would support me to get healthier. It has suprised me that some of them havent. They still wallow in the whole misery loves company shpill.

I'm sorry if i missed the time, I know we are meeting Feb 7th at Ruby Tuesday, but what time?

Thanks.