Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking strategy

Wondering what folks are doing in terms of drinking. If I want to go for a night out, but don't want to get plastered what can I drink if I don't do beer or wine? Beer is too fizzy and wine puts me to sleep, so I stick to low calorie mixed drinks, problem is they tend to be way stronger so over a couple hours I can easily have more than I want. Anyone have any low cal / low alcohol mixed drinks?

Wondering what folks are doing in terms of drinking. If I want to go for a night out, but don't want to get plastered what can I drink if I don't do beer or wine? Beer is too fizzy and wine puts me to sleep, so I stick to low calorie mixed drinks, problem is they tend to be way stronger so over a couple hours I can easily have more than I want. Anyone have any low cal / low alcohol mixed drinks?
Ask for your cocktail as a "tall" where the ratio of mixer to alcohol is greater which would minimize the alcohol effect. I like grapefruit and vodka.

I think before you actually do go out, make a mixed drink at home and see how you do. You don’t want to go out and end up getting sick! I suggest taking it slow, and limit the number of drinks. I sip on red wine occasionally, but it makes me really tired like you said, beer is an absolute no for me. I have sipped on mojito’s and raspberry margarita’s, and was fine. You can also request that the bartender go easy on his/her pour.

10 hours ago, LColandrea said:

I think before you actually do go out, make a mixed drink at home and see how you do. You don’t want to go out and end up getting sick! I suggest taking it slow, and limit the number of drinks. I sip on red wine occasionally, but it makes me really tired like you said, beer is an absolute no for me. I have sipped on mojito’s and raspberry margarita’s, and was fine. You can also request that the bartender go easy on his/her pour.

Thanks. I actually go out a LOT (job hazard). The problem is I really feel my drinks so I'm looking for ways to minimize. My go to has been vodka and diet cran. Thinking maybe rum and coke since rum is often half the alcohol of vodka. I have gotten good at not overdoing it. Post surgery I feel it way more and much more quickly, but it also passes faster too.

will have to look at a 'tall' in my are that usually is a double (2x the alcohol). Really something like flat beer would be ideal, low alcohol and it takes a long time to drink.

just be careful - transfer addiction is a risk for bariatric patients. I've seen more than a few people post on various internet forums that they developed alcoholism after bariatric surgery. That's not to say you can't enjoy a drink once in awhile. But...watch it.

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

just be careful - transfer addiction is a risk for bariatric patients. I've seen more than a few people post on various internet forums that they developed alcoholism after bariatric surgery. That's not to say you can't enjoy a drink once in awhile. But...watch it.

THIS👆

I've been testing the waters with red wine and it started giving me that familiar feeling of pleasure from consuming something, not to mention the great buzz after only one glass. If you have it, maybe don't keep it in your house so it's easier to limit to just going out on special occasions and what not.

Also, I know everyone's Dr has slightly different rules, but I'm not allowed to have carbonation the rest of my life, I was told. Some Dr's say it's a myth, but your body will tell you if that's the case, most likely.

Ask for a tall glass of Water with just ONE shot of vodka in it. add lime/lemon- lots.

And You can ask for a glass of water also and add more water as you drink.

I would consider a wine and soda spritz with a very dry - low sugar option for the wine. Over ice with citrus squeeze. Beer over ice and wine over ice. Rum has too much sugar for me so I get that sweat and nasty feeling. The rates of post WLS and alcoholism are alarming. The consumption of alcohol is another body changer but not as readily discussed. Gin at times has lower proof. - I was a bartender in college.

Thanks! Aware of the transfer risk, so am very careful to take it easy. There's actually a number of risks post surgery including a super high rate of divorce and a higher rate of accidental death. So far I'm beating the odds and don't enjoy drinking enough where I think it'll be a problem (also only really drink when out of business, which often times has weeks in between events)

Some good ideas here. Any carbonation for me is a no go, just feel full and uncomfortable.

Divorce I get - big life change. but accidents? Interesting.

• Recent Topics

• Most popular:

• Recent Status Updates

• Krestel

I just realized that I miss breads and buns much more than chocolate amd candy. How wierd!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • freetobeme

VSG to RNY surgery finally scheduled: September 9, 2019
      · 0 replies
    • Krestel

Losing 1.2kg/2.6lbs in a week seems to be a bit disappointing when in reality it is quite reasonable at about 5kg/11lbs per month. I think that I cant quite remember the last 30kg/65lbs. Oh the mind games we play!
      · 0 replies
    • ms.sss

Yup, I did it! I RAN my SECOND continuous 5K ever this morning! There is an option to do a 10K Sunday morning and I'm going to give it a try. It's basically the 5K twice. Even though this is a girls' trip, I kinda wish Mr. was here so he could witness my awesomeness.
      @FluffyChix, no it wasn't on the beach nor was I wearing a bikini, but I think I should get bonus points anyway, just for doing it a second time 😎
      · 3 replies
      1. Orchids&Dragons

Congratulations! You have every right to feel proud!

2. sillykitty

That's amazing, it must feel great!

3. Krestel

OMG! You are so inspiring! How did you get started with your training? Running/jogging a 5k is one of my goals as well. Your journey is truly wonderful.

• allwet

08/20/18 - weight 165.5 / bmi 25.9 / bmr 1602 kcals / fat% 17.4% / fat mass 29 lbs
      08/16/19 - weight 149.5 /  bmi 23.5 / bmr 1500 kcals / fat% 16.7% / fat mass 25 lbs
      desired range fat % 11-22 / fat mass 17-38.5 lbs
      just got back from my 2 year check up and wanted to post.  The kcal drop has me worried and thinking i need to up the weights and trim back the cardio. Never saw myself as a person who cared for bulky muscles but the increased calorie burn from more muscle mass certainly wont hurt. 
      New goal for the next year i guess.
      · 0 replies
  • Trending Topics

• Together, we have lost...
      lbs