Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vets - How often do you weigh yourself?



Recommended Posts

Just curious for people who are out a ways, how often do you weigh yourself? Is there a set weight at which you take action to get back on track? Do you still track food?

For me I'm still a relative newby, I weigh in weekly usually, bi weekly worse case. I focus on staying within 2.5 lbs above or below goal, if I get to either end I adjust my eating to fix it. I stopped religiously tracking foods about 6 months ago, though I do track off and on and spot check days for macros if I feel like I'm off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I weigh daily.

It doesn’t suit everyone, but there is pretty compelling research showing that one single factor correlates most strongly with maintaining weight loss - and that is daily weighing and writing it down. Or, in my case, logging it in myfitnesspal.

I have promised myself - never again will I have to ‘diet’ more than a day or two. So I have a weight. I am relaxes 1lb either side of that. But above that? I have a careful day and fall back into my happy range.

Heaven knows, I have too many clothes I love to have to start again, again!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Losebig said:

Just curious for people who are out a ways, how often do you weigh yourself? Is there a set weight at which you take action to get back on track? Do you still track food?

For me I'm still a relative newby, I weigh in weekly usually, bi weekly worse case. I focus on staying within 2.5 lbs above or below goal, if I get to either end I adjust my eating to fix it. I stopped religiously tracking foods about 6 months ago, though I do track off and on and spot check days for macros if I feel like I'm off.

I weigh daily out of habit. I see weight fluctuations of two/three pounds but basically stay the same weight. (130's)

food logging – I use it mostly for training. I have two half marathons coming up. I can adjust my diet to gain muscle, fuel a distance run, manage my diabetes, lose/maintain weight using one app.

There are times I break from logging and dieting. life and indulgences should be enjoyed. It’s not much work for me to maintain a ten-pound bounce range up and down the scale. I’m used to this after five years.

When I hit the high end of my weight, I go back to logging and work it back off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still weigh daily. And I also still track food. I can't even tell you how many times pre-surgery that I lost weight, stopped doing those two things, and then gained it all back. Not happening this time. I worked WAY too hard on this. So I will do these two things for the rest of my life.

and yes to your third question, too. 150 lbs is my "oh crap" level. If I hit that, I spring into action to get my weight back down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am 21 months out. I weigh once a week. It helps me stay on track. It's so much easier to lose a pound, than 167 pounds. I'm out of town 4 days of the week, so this just works for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the "oh crap" level!

I'm not a vet--am only 17months out. And I'm still trying to lose those last few pounds to Goal #3 of 130lbs.

So I do and will continue to weigh daily. I also pre-plan my food for the day, weigh, measure, and log every bite whenever possible in MFP. If the scale tics up a couple pounds and I can attribute it to some food behavior, then I know that a few days of being "an angel" lol, will make it return to the bottom. I never want to be more than a couple to 5 lbs up from goal weight.

I agree that returning to basics and following your forever rules including trying to follow the portion part of it, is the ticket to getting back on plan. It's seldom a result of tool failure. One cup per meal, 3 meals per day, no snacking but if needed an extra mini meal (well-thought out and planned) is doable. Protein forward, limit or eliminate crap carbage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I weight every day, first thing after going to the bathroom. I write it down. I'm almost six years post-VSG.

Alas, in the past 2 years, I HAVE gained 25 pounds back and I am NOT happy about it. I never wanted to see 200 pounds again, but I am ~ 205. I am also having a very hard time getting back on track. So, advice: stay on track. I'm actually contemplating a revision because I do not want to get too far gone. Ghrelin is back and it is winning, at present. I had 5.5 great, happy years. The VSG was the BEST thing I ever did for myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super helpful, I was afraid I was weighing too often. Daily I fluctuate a lot (water), so weekly works well for me (same time and day every week). I just returned from a 3 week vacation with no scale and am 1.2 lbs above my 5 lb range I usually fluctuate in, so working to get that corrected over the next couple of days... Agree about staying on track, that's what got me in trouble every other time I got thin, but not this time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A lot easier to correct a minor fluctuation than a Major" WTF did I Just Do? "15- 20 pound Weight Gain , isn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope it's okay I'm a couple days shy of 18 months, but I also weigh every day and track every day. I'm at a 700 day streak on MFP. To me, it just works. I've formed this habit, it's yielding positive results so I'm sticking to it. When I'm out of town or on vacation I definitely relax but jump right back on the wagon as soon as I'm home. I honestly find myself looking forward to that comfort/control. It's unreal how quickly my body can put weight back on. I went away for the 4th of July for 4 nights and came home about 12lbs heavier. I lost it all back in the span of a week, but it was a pretty great reminder of how valuable my positive habits are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yes_anastasia said:

I hope it's okay I'm a couple days shy of 18 months, but I also weigh every day and track every day. I'm at a 700 day streak on MFP. To me, it just works. I've formed this habit, it's yielding positive results so I'm sticking to it. When I'm out of town or on vacation I definitely relax but jump right back on the wagon as soon as I'm home. I honestly find myself looking forward to that comfort/control. It's unreal how quickly my body can put weight back on. I went away for the 4th of July for 4 nights and came home about 12lbs heavier. I lost it all back in the span of a week, but it was a pretty great reminder of how valuable my positive habits are.

I know right?!!! I feel welcome relief and comfort from my daily routine! Love the morning weigh in to keep me honest and on track. Love the planning/logging/tracking so I know what happens in response to a certain day of food. :) And yes, totes cray on how quickly an offplan day can increase your weight!!!

Congrats on your huge and inspiring success!!! 200lbs in 18 months!!! Woot!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I’m a year out and a weigh myself daily. I understand though that weight can fluctuate based on lots of factors, so I don’t obsess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I know right?!!! I feel welcome relief and comfort from my daily routine! Love the morning weigh in to keep me honest and on track. Love the planning/logging/tracking so I know what happens in response to a certain day of food. :) And yes, totes cray on how quickly an offplan day can increase your weight!!!

Congrats on your huge and inspiring success!!! 200lbs in 18 months!!! Woot!!

Thank you so much!!! I lost 57lbs pre-op, so about 140 in the past 18 months. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14+ years out. I weigh every few months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Krestel

      I just realized that I miss breads and buns much more than chocolate amd candy. How wierd!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • freetobeme

      VSG to RNY surgery finally scheduled: September 9, 2019
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Krestel

      Losing 1.2kg/2.6lbs in a week seems to be a bit disappointing when in reality it is quite reasonable at about 5kg/11lbs per month. I think that I cant quite remember the last 30kg/65lbs. Oh the mind games we play!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ms.sss

      Yup, I did it! I RAN my SECOND continuous 5K ever this morning! There is an option to do a 10K Sunday morning and I'm going to give it a try. It's basically the 5K twice. Even though this is a girls' trip, I kinda wish Mr. was here so he could witness my awesomeness.
      @FluffyChix, no it wasn't on the beach nor was I wearing a bikini, but I think I should get bonus points anyway, just for doing it a second time 😎
      · 3 replies
      1. Orchids&Dragons

        Congratulations! You have every right to feel proud!

      2. sillykitty

        That's amazing, it must feel great!

      3. Krestel

        OMG! You are so inspiring! How did you get started with your training? Running/jogging a 5k is one of my goals as well. Your journey is truly wonderful.

    • allwet

      08/20/18 - weight 165.5 / bmi 25.9 / bmr 1602 kcals / fat% 17.4% / fat mass 29 lbs
      08/16/19 - weight 149.5 /  bmi 23.5 / bmr 1500 kcals / fat% 16.7% / fat mass 25 lbs
      desired range fat % 11-22 / fat mass 17-38.5 lbs
      just got back from my 2 year check up and wanted to post.  The kcal drop has me worried and thinking i need to up the weights and trim back the cardio. Never saw myself as a person who cared for bulky muscles but the increased calorie burn from more muscle mass certainly wont hurt. 
      New goal for the next year i guess.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×