Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

I'm a month post op VSG and if I eat 3 meals a day I usually hit just below 1000 calories. Weight loss has slown down dramatically since my thin liquid stage, and I was wondering if 800-1000 calories is somehow too much? The info packet my nutritionist gave me doesn't really even mention. Calories. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm...at my one month post-op mark, I'd be lucky if I got over 400 calories. Nutritionist said whatever I could get in was good enough at that point.

I was however given literature pre-op that months 2-6 I should be at 800-1200, though I was nowhere near that.

But really, it varies from person to person. How tall are you? And are you male or female? How much to you weigh right now? Are you active (or plan to be)?

The folks on here could give you better advice if you provided this info...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a 20 year old male. I'm 5'9 1/2 and I weigh 411 lbs. I started at 480, lost 20 on my own, 20 on pre-op, and 30 since the operation

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My nutritionist told me 600-800 but my surgeon said she doesn't talk calories, just to eat Protein first, eat 3 times a day and that's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pkron said:

I'm a month post op VSG and if I eat 3 meals a day I usually hit just below 1000 calories. Weight loss has slown down dramatically since my thin liquid stage, and I was wondering if 800-1000 calories is somehow too much? The info packet my nutritionist gave me doesn't really even mention. Calories. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

How much Protein are you getting? I'm pre-op and have 80 -90 g. and I' only eating 800, just can't eat more. Get your Proteins in first you have a new way to eat. If you're eating 1000 bad calories, carbs, sugars, and not proteins you will gain weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

800-1000 probably isn't too much for you, but I would be cautious about going much above it. The 6-800 level that GradyCat mentions seems to be something of a sweet spot for many - low enough to provide enough caloric deficit to get the desired weight loss for most, but high enough not to trigger any major metabolic problems from being too low - and is fairly common in many programs that specify calorie levels. Many patients, particularly average to below average height women, will find that they maintain in the 1000-1200 calorie range, so it pays not to go too high unless one has better info on their personal metabolism. Being a guy, and young, that implies a higher metabolism so you can tolerate higher calories in you loss phase; starting at close to 500lb may work against that some. Another consideration is that your overall metabolic rate will decline some as you lose weight (your resting metabolism, in theory, shouldn't change much assuming minimal loss of muscle tissue), as it takes fewer calories to move 400lb around all day than 500, and fewer still to move 300, and 200, etc. So avoid the temptation to increase calories as you lose, or you may come up short of your goal.

That said, I settled fairly quickly at 1100, (no set calorie goal in our program, either) and that worked well for me, though I only had about 100lb to lose, but did so in about seven months or so (and that was intentionally slowing things down some in the last couple of months) Do you have an idea what your calorie level was when your weight was stable (not gaining, not losing) before surgery? That can provide some guidance in estimating what you need to do. I was stable in the 2600-2800 range before surgery, and now maintain at around 2000-2200.

A slow down at this stage is to be expected, as most go through a bit (or more than a bit) of a stall at around three weeks. There is usually a fairly quick initial loss of mostly Water weight as we burn off our short term energy reserves of glycogen (basically stored carbohydrate) and then a pause as the body shifts gears to burning our fat reserves, which burn more slowly than the glycogen. I, likewise, lost about 30 lb the first month, then 15 each of the next two months. Completely normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ms.sss said:

Hmmm...at my one month post-op mark, I'd be lucky if I got over 400 calories. Nutritionist said whatever I could get in was good enough at that point.

I was however given literature pre-op that months 2-6 I should be at 800-1200, though I was nowhere near that.

But really, it varies from person to person. How tall are you? And are you male or female? How much to you weigh right now? Are you active (or plan to be)?

The folks on here could give you better advice if you provided this info...

I am so happy I saw this as I just realized I am only getting 500 calories a day. .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 8:16 PM, Sandra Nuelken said:

How much Protein are you getting? I'm pre-op and have 80 -90 g. and I' only eating 800, just can't eat more. Get your Proteins in first you have a new way to eat. If you're eating 1000 bad calories, carbs, sugars, and not Proteins you will gain weight.

All I can say is not enough. I really dislike the Protein Shakes, and I always have. I am trying out different high Protein waters, looking for one that I like. I just bought two cases of Protein2O, which isn't bad. It's just harder to constantly sip than Water. Other than that I try my best to get in proteins first. The only meal that I've had in which there was no protein was about 1/3 cup of penne Pasta on the first day I was allowed to have soft foods/noodles last week. It didn't settle in too well, so I'm going to wait on that again. Thanks so much for the response!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 9:08 PM, RickM said:

800-1000 probably isn't too much for you, but I would be cautious about going much above it. The 6-800 level that GradyCat mentions seems to be something of a sweet spot for many - low enough to provide enough caloric deficit to get the desired weight loss for most, but high enough not to trigger any major metabolic problems from being too low - and is fairly common in many programs that specify calorie levels. Many patients, particularly average to below average height women, will find that they maintain in the 1000-1200 calorie range, so it pays not to go too high unless one has better info on their personal metabolism. Being a guy, and young, that implies a higher metabolism so you can tolerate higher calories in you loss phase; starting at close to 500lb may work against that some. Another consideration is that your overall metabolic rate will decline some as you lose weight (your resting metabolism, in theory, shouldn't change much assuming minimal loss of muscle tissue), as it takes fewer calories to move 400lb around all day than 500, and fewer still to move 300, and 200, etc. So avoid the temptation to increase calories as you lose, or you may come up short of your goal.

That said, I settled fairly quickly at 1100, (no set calorie goal in our program, either) and that worked well for me, though I only had about 100lb to lose, but did so in about seven months or so (and that was intentionally slowing things down some in the last couple of months) Do you have an idea what your calorie level was when your weight was stable (not gaining, not losing) before surgery? That can provide some guidance in estimating what you need to do. I was stable in the 2600-2800 range before surgery, and now maintain at around 2000-2200.

A slow down at this stage is to be expected, as most go through a bit (or more than a bit) of a stall at around three weeks. There is usually a fairly quick initial loss of mostly Water weight as we burn off our short term energy reserves of glycogen (basically stored carbohydrate) and then a pause as the body shifts gears to burning our fat reserves, which burn more slowly than the glycogen. I, likewise, lost about 30 lb the first month, then 15 each of the next two months. Completely normal.

My calories before surgery varied highly. I had been using intermittent fasting fairly successfully for a few months and had lost weight, but I am diagnosed with BED, so every once in a while there was a day that had an extremely high calorie count from one meal alone. I really appreciate your long and thoughtful response. Congratulations on your success!!! It makes me feel better that your experience was similar to mine. I have also realized in the past few days that I had been eating meals just because it was time to eat (e.g. Breakfast in the morning, lunch at lunchtime, and dinner at dinnertime) even if I wasn't hungry. I am going to try to use those times to drink something that is high in Protein rather than eating just because it is the societal norm to eat at those times. Again, I really appreciate the response!

-Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pkron said:

I really dislike the Protein Shakes, and I always have

Are you drinking the pre-made ones? I find these to be too thick and too sweet.

If you haven't already tried them, maybe get some powders instead and mix with Water, I find they go down much better.

My go-to concoction was (and still is 8.5 months later when I'm low on Protein on any given day): 1 scoop Isopure Dutch chocolate powder + 400 ml water + 2 tsp of Decaf instant coffee + 2 tsp Benefibre + a few cubes of ice.

I used to also use the Isopure Unflavoured Powder and mix/sprinkle it on different foods (don't use it so much anymore though).

9 minutes ago, pkron said:

I just bought two cases of Protein2O, which isn't bad. It's just harder to constantly sip than Water

Yeah, I've read lots of posts where waters were more people's taste that the shakes. Good Luck! ♥️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Are you drinking the pre-made ones? I find these to be too thick and too sweet.

If you haven't already tried them, maybe get some powders instead and mix with Water, I find they go down much better.

My go-to concoction was (and still is 8.5 months later when I'm low on Protein on any given day): 1 scoop Isopure Dutch chocolate powder + 400 ml Water + 2 tsp of Decaf instant coffee + 2 tsp Benefibre + a few cubes of ice.

I used to also use the Isopure Unflavoured Powder and mix/sprinkle it on different foods (don't use it so much anymore though).

Yeah, I've read lots of posts where waters were more people's taste that the shakes. Good Luck! ♥️

I agree that the premade shakes are too thick and sweet. I have some unflavored powders as well as some chocolate and vanilla powders, but I've just never been a fan of stuff like chocolate/vanilla milk, and they taste to me like that but even faker. Also, the unflavored ones can't be heated up to the point where I like my Soups and stuff or it gets all clumpy. I'll take a look at the isopure chocolate and see if maybe it tastes better than the one I am trying, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I'll find what works for me eventually though! Thanks for the response!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, pkron said:

I agree that the premade shakes are too thick and sweet. I have some unflavored powders as well as some chocolate and vanilla powders, but I've just never been a fan of stuff like chocolate/vanilla milk, and they taste to me like that but even faker. Also, the unflavored ones can't be heated up to the point where I like my Soups and stuff or it gets all clumpy. I'll take a look at the Isopure chocolate and see if maybe it tastes better than the one I am trying, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. I'll find what works for me eventually though! Thanks for the response!

I use Ensure plus, fairly new on the market, I put ice cubes in it and sip it in the morning. I prefer Chocolate but they have cafe mocha which has a hit of caffeine. The Premium peach Protein Drink (clear) I mix with caffeine-free ice tea to make peach tea. One of each and I've met the Protein goal. The tea I drink all day with just a shot of peach protein. I find it far too sweet. The powders I have to go with the vegetarian protein powders and they are expensive. The others just gas me up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I was told I should be at 1000-1200 calories at a year out. I am averaging 600 calories (no more than 700) now at 9 months out.

Edited by mousecat88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

I was told I should be at 1000-1200 calories at a year out. I am averaging 600 calories (no more than 700) now at 9 months out.

I finally got ahold of my nutritionist yesterday. She told me at most 1100 calories. I also realized that I had been eating just because it was "time to eat" like breakfast, lunch, and dinner, rather than when I am hungry, so I am eating less, but making sure to eat more Protein when I do eat. I've noticed a change in weight loss already!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a month post op VSG and if I eat 3 meals a day I usually hit just below 1000 calories. Weight loss has slown down dramatically since my thin liquid stage, and I was wondering if 800-1000 calories is somehow too much? The info packet my nutritionist gave me doesn't really even mention. Calories. Thanks!
Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using BariatricPal mobile app

I didnt get a calorie intake either from my nutritionist or my surgeon everyone says just get your 64 oz of Water in and your 60-80 oz of Protein. I am 2 months post op and I'm barely hitting 800 calories with 3 meals a day.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • veisor  »  Panda333

      Hi!
      Thank you for replying.   It means the world to me.  It also confirmed what I been feeling about which procedure to choose.   I fall into the category as you do and elected the sleeve as it seemed to be less invasive and recovery would be better and faster,  however I am so afraid to regain the weight back since I rarely eat and obesity runs in my family.   I have two siblings that had the bypass and they have been successful.  My sister was in the high 400's and is about 140 now and has been for several years since her procedure.  I guess I felt that the sleeve would allow me to have more control, however I realized that I can't control my genetics and that is one of the biggest reasons that I am here.  Yes, I have not always made the best choices but trust me when I say that I have been on the loss and regain + more rollercoaster weight ride for yrs! I have spent so much money as I am sure you have as well as many others who are going through this.  It is not easy and anyone who thinks this is a copout is crazy!!! This has been harder than anything I have done including hiring a personal trainer to kick my butt in the gym! And still with all the gym hours, clean eating "not to mention the clean eating cost" I knew it was time that I moved to the next step to finally be who I know in my head and heart cause when I see myself in the mirror,  well let's just say is not the girl I see in my mind. 
      So thanks again for your reply and I hope that we can keep in touch through our journey. 
      😊
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • AggiG

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Pookeyism

      I'm going in for a sleeve revision October 4th. It worked well for me, and I am not back to my starting weight. However, a revision is strongly encouraged at this time (there are additional medical issues). I have decided to forgo the insurance process, even though I know I would eventually be approved. "Eventually" is the key issue here. I have a small window to create this to where it will not impact my work or home life as much, and waiting for the insurance approval would take over a year.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ms.sss

      I just read @BoredCW's status post and also want to lament the loss of my butt.  Looking at me the side, my back is basically flat from my neck to my knees.  My jeans have lovely fabric folds draping from my backside from lack of filling.
      Two days ago, I was sitting on a worn couch at the gym and I could feel the springs and count how many I was sitting on.  Told the Kid and she said she wants to find her childhood alphabet fridge magnets in the basement to spell out words and have me sit on them and do some "butt-braille-reading" 😂
      · 5 replies
      1. FluffyChix

        HI-LAR-ious! I love your kid!!!

        Yeah, we all suffer from noassatall syndrome. :(

      2. 2Bsmaller18

        Yes. I think the spandex in jeans is the only thing that helps keep the sag below the pockets form looking ridiculous. Even leggings wrinkle there.

      3. ms.sss

        Ah, our disappearing collective butts.

        I am seriously considering changing my plastics plan. I am booked for an arm lift in December, but my summer obsession with arm exercises has improved the look of them quite a bit to the point that I think I may hate my butt more than my arms. Should I do a butt lift instead?!?! In conjunction with?!?!?

        I am trying to cultivate an obsession with butt exercises but its not working so far...

      4. 2Bsmaller18

        I don't think you could do both at the same time. For me personally it's arms. I have granny wrinkles down to my elbows. I can always dover my body with tshirts, pants, etc but unless I wear long sleeves my arms are an issue. I also can't wear a small enough jacket since it fits everywhere but too tight in the arms. They measure around 13.5 inches. Can you compromise and get the smaller arm lift. I don't know if that saves much $ or recovery but if your arms improved that much maybe just a tweek will work?

      5. ms.sss

        The difference in price for a mini arm lift and the full arm lift at my surgeon is less thank 2K and probably not worth the savings. May as well pay the extra bit and get the full arm lift as my sag also reaches my elbows. You are right though, my arms see the light of day way more than my butt does...I'll have to see if the continued butt exercises will change my mind down the road (but it's looking more and more that a butt lift is in my future)

        P.S. At the beginning of my 2 week pre-op diet, my upper right arm measured 17.75 inches in circumference. Now its 10. And that is with the extra skin still.

    • BoredCW

      On the 3 week plateau from hell.. It seems like an endless desert with sand dunes that represent the 1-2 pounds gain then dropped from day to day. Met with my weight loss group tonight and was told its normal. That this is sometimes like a step, plateau then drop, plateau then drop. Only for the plateau's to go on longer the farther away from the surgery date I get. Much like EDM, I can't wait for the drop. 
      On top of it all, I lost my ass. Seriously.. its gone. All that cushion that I enjoyed lounging on eating what ever I ate, watching what ever was on the computer or tv... is gone. That glorious support system is vamoosed. I know this because my ass (tailbone) hurts all the time. I'm sitting on bone now and its sore. I am my own literal Pain in the Ass! (My family would say whats new, but who cares about them.. my butt hurts.) I have yet to bring a pillow with me everywhere I go to sit on, but I'm getting ready to as I sit for my job working on computers. So far losing the weight is a Pain. I hope it gets better. 
      · 2 replies
      1. ms.sss

        Hang in there, the plateau will end eventually. Also I feel you on the butt thing.

      2. FluffyChix

        I have a butt pillow. I'm not proud. :D

        The plateaus suck!!!! Keep the faith and motor on!

  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×