Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Obesity domino effect ?

I took my kids to the nearby amusement park yesterday. As my youngest was riding the “swings” there was a child (maybe 6 or 7) attempting to ride. Unfortunately he was so large, he couldn’t fit into the chair. After trying multiple times, he finally gave up and sadly left the ride. I saw the heart break and embarrassment in his face as he walked back toward his parents. Sadly, both his mom and dad were morbidly obese as well. I couldn’t help but feel anger and sadness for this child. He didn’t choose this path, he doesn’t grocery shop, prepare meals, etc. At that moment, I was so glad for this tool I was blessed with, I was giving a second lease on life and the ability to teach my children about healthy foods, being active and the importance of loving yourself. As parents it’s our job to do better for our children, I vow to do right by my kids!!!! ❤️

Sometimes I still want to blame my parents for the types of food (all bad, all lard, all fat and processed) they fed us, but hey, it was the 60's and 70's and they didn't know any better and heck, I've been an adult for 30+ years now and able to make my own choices. But yeah, definitely, if I had kids (which I don't) I would teach them how to eat healthy

2 hours ago, NYJenn said:

I took my kids to the nearby amusement park yesterday. As my youngest was riding the “swings” there was a child (maybe 6 or 7) attempting to ride. Unfortunately he was so large, he couldn’t fit into the chair. After trying multiple times, he finally gave up and sadly left the ride. I saw the heart break and embarrassment in his face as he walked back toward his parents. Sadly, both his mom and dad were morbidly obese as well. I couldn’t help but feel anger and sadness for this child. He didn’t choose this path, he doesn’t grocery shop, prepare meals, etc. At that moment, I was so glad for this tool I was blessed with, I was giving a second lease on life and the ability to teach my children about healthy foods, being active and the importance of loving yourself. As parents it’s our job to do better for our children, I vow to do right by my kids!!!! ❤️

Obesity is an epidemic. Its sad to see the rate of childhood obesity. I am also thankfull to pass on healthy habits to my family.

I grew up with two working parents that bought convenience food in the 70s/80’s. Any of this sound familiar to the older generation on this forum?

Breakfast: Lucky charms before school. Hot lunch provided by the school hamburgers, French fries and cookie. snack after school. Bag of chips (not a serving) two cokes. dinner ordered domino’s pizza and more coke. My yoyo dieting became normal. I would stave myself to fit in my size 7 dress before school dances or dating.

food additives to make you addicted and a repeat buyer. Convenience, processed and sugar laden products and fast food. Fad diets, pills and quick fix weight loss. Anyone remember Adys weight loss chocolate candy?

IDK What is the answer to stop this health crisis? Education, food choices and exercise. How do you force that on people?

Obesity remains a huge problem in the United States and across the globe. My family put food on the table got us through college and gave us an awful lot of advantages. - *Their idea of a diet never worked for me. My body my metabolism I could look at food and gain weight... so much more is known today and I am hopeful that children will have a few more advantages. I do not blame my parents I do not blame the time I live in. This moment this very moment I am thankful to be alive and healthy.

And Stella S, if you came to my city Mount Vernon and my County Knox County Ohio you would see more Obese people than you could shake a stick at, and I see them starting in Toddler- hood, I see so many 80 and 100 pound ones. Makes me wish I had a pulpit to preach the Joys of Bariatrics and what it has done in My Life! Would I have accepted the advice? No and 8 fear they would not either, I thought I was doomed, without hope,no place to turn, the world either ignored or hated my Obese Self, and I was disappointed and hated myself more. It took a lot more gumption , bravery and chutzpah than most people contain to search out WLS at nearly 70, truly the fact I probably would die soon. had a Big Motivation, I decided it wouldn't hurt to try since I was destined for death, even if I died on an Operating Table, I would have at least tried, nobody thought I could succeed at anything anyway. There was just enough Red- headed spunk, enough " Don't Tred on Me" that I inherited from the strong New England side of the Family that I was going to Do This or Bust! And it took over 3 years, 1 month and a week to finally achieve it but Achieve It I DId and I am a smaller healthier glob of SUCCESS no one gave me credit for. I may be scarred, slightly bloodiedbut I STAND TALL AND BROKEN-DOWN BY LIFE NO MORE! Frustr8 is getting fine, better and better each day I live, and I am a Force to Contend with!

I have a friend on Facebook who is morbidly obese and her two children are very, very heavy. I always feel very sad when I see their photos, although they seem like happy kids. She is always yo-yo Keto dieting. I was never heavy as a child and fed healthy meals, so it was my own stupid adult-self that made me obese. I live in the first or second highest-rate State for obesity amongst adults and children and EVERYBODY is extremely heavy. There is so much focus on the opioid epidemic in this State, but absolutely NO focus on the much larger issue of the obesity epidemic. It is heart-wrenching.