Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new to post surgery

Hi. It’s me again. I tried mashed up avocado. Bad idea! It feels stuck and gurgling and feels like it wants to come up. Ugh. I didn’t even finish half and avocado. I had sleeve on 7/3. It’s 7/13. So not quite two weeks. Maybe this is normal. It makes me sad because I love avocado’s. Looks like I need more time with the baby food. I’m a vegan so I’ve been doing fruit/veggie baby food, trying to get my 64 oz Water (which realistically probably won’t happen because I typically do half of that), and at least 60 g of Protein through a plant based Protein Drink (Owyn). Anyone else have same experience? Food too thick? There weren’t chucks, I mashed it up pretty good. Thoughts and advice are greatly appreciate. You guys are the best! ❤️

Hi, I had mine 7/8/19. I am on Clear Liquids and shakes till Monday. Then I am only able to have full liquids like puddings and cream Soups no lumps for a week, then only highly puréed foods. Sounds like it is too thick. Can you purée it with something to make it thinner like baby food consistency? It is so crazy how all the surgeons follow different diets.

I’m on purée too for another week and 1/2. Such an adjustment. Sipping drinks slowly is another. But I think in time we will be able to eat and drink normally, I hope (just smaller portions). How are you doing? We had our surgeries around the same time.

Hi, I have been doing good all but Friday was bad, when I was so constipated it was horrible. They should have told me to take the Mirilax instead of waiting to be constipated from the pain meds. I know about the sipping part, I am a fast drinker or should I say was... but every now and then I forget. Other than that it’s been good. So weird not hungry at all. I see you are Vegan. That is awesome! My oldest has been for about a year and a half. I was Vegetarian for many years. I am not now but still haven’t had beef since a kid. We eat a lot of homemade veggie dishes, I am going to try and go back to vegetarian at least. My downfall is cheese. Nice to see weight come off now with this surgery it is really amazing.

re: avocado - it could be the fat in it. I can't eat a lot of fat in one sitting anymore or I get sick. I DO eat avocado - almost every day in fact, but it's like two tablespoons of it in my Protein Shake (although keep in mind I'm in maintenance - for a new post-op, two tablespoons of ANYTHING is a LOT of food - it's not for me anymore..)

I had gastric sleeve on 7/1, and I'm on full liquids still until tomorrow (a full two weeks). I've been doing a lot of Protein Shakes, fully blended Soups, and a bit of greek yogurt or blended cottage cheese. Sounds like maybe the mashed avocado was too thick this early for you. I'm really missing textures, but my surgeon recommended purees for 2 weeks starting tomorrow. So at that point I'll start trying out refried Beans, baked ricotta, well-mashed sweet potato or avocado, thicker soups (still no chunks), pureed egg salad etc.

Maybe also half an avocado was too much fat? At this stage it's probably enough to just have a couple bites of something richer. I love avocados too, so looking forward to slowing add those back in.

On 7/12/2019 at 3:04 PM, kathaleen revell said:

I was just thinking, since I started the post surgery liquid diet Monday, I have been cold! Is it because of the diet or drop in calories, or am I starving to death? Lol .

On 7/12/2019 at 3:41 PM, nenes78 said:

I am cold all the time since surgery. I know many people that feel the same since surgery as well. I now carry a sweatshirt in the car at all times, and have a jacket at work since the temp is set at 72 all the time.

Prior to surgery I was always hot and easily sweat. Now I really have to work to break any sort of sweat.

On 7/12/2019 at 7:43 PM, Sandra Nuelken said:

I was always cold when I lost weight with the band. My skinny husband always froze, he was happy. You're taking off a coat as you lose, so yes you'll feel cold.

On 7/12/2019 at 7:51 PM, Jdymitc said:

My husband had gastric bypass 15 years ago and he is still almost always cold. Today it was over 90 here and he still wore a jean jacket outside.

On 7/12/2019 at 8:02 PM, texasnewf said:

I find the same thing.. not sure why but I hear it's common

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 7/13/2019 at 4:29 AM, catwoman7 said:

that's really common - not sure what causes it. I don't really get cold anymore (or any more than a normal person would, that is), so it was a temporary thing with me, but with some people, it seems to be permanent.

On 7/13/2019 at 5:00 AM, NYJenn said:

I’m always cold now....less “insulation” I guess 😂

On 7/13/2019 at 6:13 AM, James Marusek said:

Human fat is a very good insulator. As you lose weight (fat), this insulation barrier will get thinner.

Since the OP had surgery on 7/3 I doubt that this is the main reason. But over time, this condition will become more pronounced.

Prior to surgery I was very warm blooded. I would drive in my car in the winter with the windows down even when it was snowing. I was just a little too hot. But after surgery, I am experiencing the other extreme. Thank God, someone invented hand warmers. When shoveling snow in the winter, they are a blessing.

On 7/13/2019 at 7:10 AM, GradyCat said:

I never got cold, but I've seen a lot of people in these forums say they were cold after bariatric surgery

22 hours ago, summerset said:

It's not only the weight loss, it's also the calorie restriction.

I have quite cold (or at least cool) hands with hidden veins in the morning until I start eating at noon. Then my hands get warm and the veins come out. I also tend to be more cold sensitive during the fasting window or when I'm tired.

5 hours ago, Midnightsun said:

Hi, I have been doing good all but Friday was bad, when I was so constipated it was horrible. They should have told me to take the Mirilax instead of waiting to be constipated from the pain meds. I know about the sipping part, I am a fast drinker or should I say was... but every now and then I forget. Other than that it’s been good. So weird not hungry at all. I see you are Vegan. That is awesome! My oldest has been for about a year and a half. I was Vegetarian for many years. I am not now but still haven’t had beef since a kid. We eat a lot of homemade veggie dishes, I am going to try and go back to vegetarian at least. My downfall is cheese. Nice to see weight come off now with this surgery it is really amazing.

4 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

re: avocado - it could be the fat in it. I can't eat a lot of fat in one sitting anymore or I get sick. I DO eat avocado - almost every day in fact, but it's like two tablespoons of it in my Protein Shake (although keep in mind I'm in maintenance - for a new post-op, two tablespoons of ANYTHING is a LOT of food - it's not for me anymore..)

55 minutes ago, DianaP said:

I had gastric sleeve on 7/1, and I'm on full liquids still until tomorrow (a full two weeks). I've been doing a lot of Protein Shakes, fully blended Soups, and a bit of greek yogurt or blended cottage cheese. Sounds like maybe the mashed avocado was too thick this early for you. I'm really missing textures, but my surgeon recommended purees for 2 weeks starting tomorrow. So at that point I'll start trying out refried Beans, baked ricotta, well-mashed sweet potato or avocado, thicker Soups (still no chunks), pureed egg salad etc.

Maybe also half an avocado was too much fat? At this stage it's probably enough to just have a couple bites of something richer. I love avocados too, so looking forward to slowing add those back in.

5 hours ago, Midnightsun said:

I used to love cheese too... but it caused a lot inflammation and then I’d start having back issues from the inflammation. Once I stopped eating the cheese, my back issues would get better. I like the nutritional yeast, when mixed in recipes, it takes like cheese and can have consistency. Nice alternative for me. 🙂