Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question About Preparing for Post Sleeve

So I am nearing my surgery date, 6/27. I am wondering what others are buying, have bought, or wish they bought to start their WLS journey. I have seen some products for measuring food and small dishes, etc.

Ice cube trays to make post-op Jello and pudding in. It is the perfect 4 bite size for when you are on the first 2 weeks post-op. Then at the dollar tree they have these like 3oz packs of 10 plastic containers with lids. Get a few of those I use them all the time. Again a perfect size to divide cottage cheese, tuna, or anything for when your back to work for Portion Control. Good Luck on your procedure...….

Ice cube trays to make post-op Jello and pudding in. It is the perfect 4 bite size for when you are on the first 2 weeks post-op. Then at the dollar tree they have these like 3oz packs of 10 plastic containers with lids. Get a few of those I use them all the time. Again a perfect size to divide cottage cheese, tuna, or anything for when your back to work for Portion Control. Good Luck on your procedure...….

2 posts make the advice twice as nice!

I am buying some of the Vitamins, etc. as I finally managed to re-read my pre-op checklist and noticed it said to start the vitamins and the calcium citrate stuff during this phase.

I got myself a little confused around the whole 'don't take this Vitamin, when you are taking this xyz' so I need to figure that all out. I'm a bit concerned that the 'all in 1 multivitamin' is a capsule that needs to be swallowed. I'm wondering if I should order a chewable/melt for the 1st 30 days post-op??

Also, as I already have thinning hair, I've ordered some Biotin (maybe it helps, maybe it won't but am willing to try anything to ward off what Hair loss I can...along with getting enough Protein.

I've ordered some of the variety packs of powdered Soup, some puddings, plain Protein Powder as that seems to be a big part of getting enough protein during the different phases from week...1 or 2 - month 6 post-op. Already had vanilla and choc protein powder but none of the 'plain'.

Ordered a food scale. Do not YET have little plates, didn't like prices I've seen yet but that is on my list to buy.

2 hours ago, always said:

Love the ice cube tray recommendation! that is going on my 'to buy' list. I know the plastic things you are talking about and I'm going to ask daughter to go after those for me. She loves Dollar Tree! You are so right about them being perfect for Portion Control.

I thought about ordering at least 1 new set of PJ's/Nightgown...just to have something different..as a non-food reward.

Also thought about ordering some resistance bands for arm/leg workouts. Phew...so much to do....suddenly..so little time! I let the time get right past me; however I got approved and got a date all within same week (and they finally pushed insurance thru as I had been asking them to do...and surprise to them..it got approved..not a surprise to me)..so I feel like I'm suddenly playing 'catch up'

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

less

you will get bored and sick of anything you have "stockpiled"

just enough to get by for a few days then see what still taste good and you enjoy.

work from that point forward.

those first days are both amazing and crazy at the same time. just remember they don't last and it get better literally by the hour.

Has anyone tried to freeze Protein Drinks to make fudge cycles?

I bought WAY too much food because I did not have a grasp yet on just how little I would be eating post-op. I would recommend buying what you think will last you for one week and then use that as a gauge for going forward.

sugar free popsicles were the bomb.

Buy little 1 or 2 oz plastic cups and make your own jell-o cups. You can also buy the unflavored Protein powder from this site and mix it in for protein jell-o! (And mix it in to everything you eat to hit your protein goal)

If you don't have it already, a heating pad, robe, fuzzy socks, good blanket. I was freezing afterwards from all the blood thinner they put in my system. I took my unicorn hot water bottle and my unicorn stuffed animal to the hospital with me for comfort. The nurses thought it was hilarious, I loved it.

I bought smaller plates but I thought they were a waste of money. Your new stomach will now control your portions, not your eyes. So a big plate is just fine.

I did buy baby spoons to help eat slower, those were really helpful.

Thought of one more thing. I did buy chewable vitamins and blended them up with a Protein smoothie (with fruit otherwise it was gross). This helped get the Vitamins in and didn't cause my stomach any issues since it was taken with food.

On 6/23/2019 at 9:50 PM, Awesome1981 said:

So I am nearing my surgery date, 6/27. I am wondering what others are buying, have bought, or wish they bought to start their WLS journey. I have seen some products for measuring food and small dishes, etc.

I didn't buy any special dishes or measuring devices since I have a 5yr old and just use his plates and bowls now haha. I stocked up on Protein Shakes (Premiere Protein is my fav, but Muscle Milk is okay too), Gatorade/Powerade Zero, Propel Water, and Soups.

I **LOVE** the sugar free popsicles! I used to eat them before. They were on sale a few weeks ago, so I now have about 10 boxes in my freezer!

On 6/23/2019 at 9:50 PM, Awesome1981 said:

I wish I had bought LESS of the Protein waters. They taste disgusting now & I've got like 24 of them to go through.

Just get enough supplies to last you up to a week. Soup. sugar free popsicles. You definitely need a scale. I bought a small countertop bullet type blender & used it a LOT. Pureeing Soups the first week & now I use it to add powdered Peanut Butter to protein drinks. A shaker would probably work, but blended is nice.

I bought some small 4oz disposable containers with lids from Amazon. I don't use them much. I bought a lot of new pyrex storage containers with lids. I was sick of my plastic stuff & got a bunch of smaller sizes so I could portion out 4oz of beef or chicken & stick in fridge.

I was allowed apple juice & gatorade the first couple weeks - watered down. The apple juice was really nice during that time period.

I bought new dishes right before, not specifically for this but the timing was nice. The plates & bowls are much smaller than my old set which really helps visually.

On 6/24/2019 at 8:45 AM, Frustr8 said:

2 posts make the advice twice as nice!

bahaha oooopppps on the double post. I just discovered Protein Premier Water has 20 gms of Protein. Is nice for a change and counts towards Fluid intake. The Raspberry is good and not to strong. I am 5 weeks out and still on liquids to soft. A few set backs but at least didn't need to go back in surgery. Finally I am able to tol about 1700cc of fluid and about 50 gms of Protein and that is with constant effort all day. Good luck

Edited by always